• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Barrie

Cheerleaders for Canadian NHL team a first

Rate this topic

I'm against the logistics of cheerleading at a hockey game. It just doesn't work out with the way the rink is set up. No sidelines, plus you can't get too carried away on the ice during intermissions or else you'll fall on your face and crack your head open.

Plus, I'm not really against cheerleading in general, although I think there comes a point where there's a fine line between cheerleading and looking like you're performing the pre-strip portion of an exotic dance (take the Panthers' cheerleaders, for example). Also, since I wasn't really up on what cheerleaders do these days, I looked up the Cowboys cheerleaders on YouTube, and I have to say, I'm kind of unimpressed. I mean, they're good dancers and all, but at my high school they used to do flips and those human pyramid things and all kinds of acrobatic stuff. These girls just dance. I was going to say that it would be lame because hockey cheerleaders couldn't do anything very acrobatic because of the surface they're on, but I guess football cheerleaders don't do that kind of stuff either. In that case, meh, I think the whole thing's kind of boring.

If they want to do it, fine, but if they wanted to save money, I could live without it. I mean, baseball doesn't have cheerleaders and they play on grass, which is much more conducive to being danced on than ice is, so why try to force it when football's really the only sport that does it?

I don't mind the ice girls. If you're at the arena, it gives you something to do during tv time outs. If you're at home, you probably won't even see them for more than a minute or two during the whole game.

Also, if it gets the crowd hyped up in the arena, where is the harm?

I'm not a big fan of cheer leading in general. I figure there's other places to see girls, I bought a ticket to watch sports :square:. However, I understand a Football crowd is different than Baseball and Hockey, there's more drunks and idiots at Football games.

I was at a Canadian Football (CFL) game, Saskatchewan Roughriders @ Toronto Argos, a couple weeks ago, and the CFL likes to have Jr. cheerleaders along with the regular ones. All game long, even during plays, the Jr. cheerleaders were doing their routines which included waiving to the crowd then flipping right in front of our section. Luck for us we were up a few rows so they were out of view of the game. If we were down 5 rows, the Jr.s would have been blocking our view while the game was going on. I would have talked to security asking them to stop during the game, only do their routine during commercial breaks, or filed a complaint with the Toronto Argos asking for my money back.

I hope the Red Wings never get cheerleaders. I like the fact in Detroit when you go to a game, you're there for the game. There's some things between breaks in the action, but not much. The Toronto area, you're bombarded with commercials, marketing, and distractions. It's almost like the game is secondary.

cheerleading in general is ******* stupid. maybe if it were college hockey that would be alright.

what teams currently have cheerleaders anyways?

offhand, im pretty sure i seen a thing on tv about the caps having a cheerleading squad. who else?

to me, cheerleading in pro hockey is as visually entertaining as those s***ty video ads on the sideboards.

its 3 steps below a suited mascot, or san jose skating out of a giant shark mouth,

im not against things that may draw new fans, but cheerleader squads i think is too much.

doesnt fit with the game at all.

I think there needs to be some clarification.

In hockey, "cheerleaders" are very different from the pom-pom shaking girls you remember from high school. They are also known as Ice Girls, and for the most part, they simply go around the stands, posing in pictures with people, flinging t-shirts into the stands, etc.

I go to a lot of Hawks games in Chicago and they have a team of ice girls. Some of the ice girls primarily do promo stuff in the stands, but the rest of them? They are put to work. They shovel snow on the ice between breaks, and quite frankly, they are good at it.

Maybe its just that I can't stand so many other aspects of seeing games in Chicago, but I actually enjoy the ice girls.

Red Wings will never need them. We can start our own "Let's Go Red Wings :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:" chants.

I would not oppose having them as long as the genders were equally represented and the dress code was the same for both.

Red Wings will never need them. We can start our own "Let's Go Red Wings :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:" chants.

I would not oppose having them as long as the genders were equally represented and the dress code was the same for both.

I could agree with that even though I think men look ridiculous in crotchless panties.

Anyone who needs a cheerleader to tell them when to cheer at a hockey game probably lives in Atlanta, Nashville or Raleigh NC. It cheapens the experience for me, somehow, and make the franchises who do it look stupid. The knowledgeable fans who are there for the game (assuming there are some) are most likely embarrassed.

I hope the Wings never stoop to this, but the way things are going, it wouldn't surprise me.

cheerleading in general is ******* stupid. maybe if it were college hockey that would be alright.

what teams currently have cheerleaders anyways?

offhand, im pretty sure i seen a thing on tv about the caps having a cheerleading squad. who else?

to me, cheerleading in pro hockey is as visually entertaining as those s***ty video ads on the sideboards.

its 3 steps below a suited mascot, or san jose skating out of a giant shark mouth,

im not against things that may draw new fans, but cheerleader squads i think is too much.

doesnt fit with the game at all.

I know that Dallas, Phoenix, and Florida do. Or at least I've seen them in highlights of games.