• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

titanium2

"We respected the other guys a lot more than they do now."

Rate this topic

Gordie Howe laughs at this man.

Electrophile: He didn't quote you, and it seemed pretty obvious he was talking about the player in the OP. Just because he also used "brutal" doesn't mean he was talking about you, now.

and she tells him to chill.

anywho. It was just 2 different times. Two different styles of playing. If you get down to it back in the day it seemed like they tried to kill each other more so with the wacks and slashes then today. You can;t get away with the stuff they did back then today.

I respect Richard and what he did for our game. He has a point, but I think hockey has evolved over time. The game has become faster and more equipment has been needed than before because of it. I'm not talking about composite sticks and goalie equipment, but that might be part of it too. The game has always been full of bullies, as is evidence in the beginning of hockey. So yes, he's right that hockey may have been much more of a gentleman's game back in the day, but with the evolution of the game and the player that plays it, there are many aspects of our physical game that have just been amplified over the years and now you do get checks from behind, blindside hits. But I hate this hits as much as anyone else and I respect the NHL for trying to do away with them. But never will I take away the integrity of the physicality of our game and the player that plays it. Hockey is the best sport on earth for a reason. Players get clobbered, fighting, the speed. This isn't soccer. That's what makes hockey hockey. Just my opinion though.

Guest scottj

Lol... Old timers always act like their generation was so much better. We'll be the same, old people tend to not like change. We give people from older times a lot more stuff to work with too. A history professor was talking about this in my honors class... Syphilis used to be really rampant, yet we give older people more credit to being prude than they should get.

Leave it to beaver is not an accurate representation of that time period no matter how many old people try to tell you so

His comment holds a lot of water. I think now there is a lot of personal beef that happens within the rink that causes people to do this. Plus people are looking for that big hit that will make the highlight reel. Sometimes it can be fun and entertaining but when people get hurt and they go for the injury, that's when the integrity of the game goes down

I really wouldn't use the term "respect" when referringto the "good ole days" of the NHL. THere was some pretty violent things going on back then (how many youtube videos are there of the frequent jousting sessions). I think it's more of what other posters are mentioning, the game was slower and therefore many of the current plays you see would never occur.

Guest scottj

Jesus christ old people are ******* annnnnoooooyiiiiing ^

Its a lot easier to document this bulls*** goin on nowadays with 30 cameras in an ice rink and every game being televised compared to back then. Plus, I think there are more respectful players than dirty ones. People just tend to focus on the dirty douches cause that gets viewers

I'll go a little bit off topic here,but we are talking about the respect in general.

Do you think that Crosby's disgrace after the game 7 would happen in Richard's or Mickey's days?

You mean accepting a ******* interview?

Jesus H Christoph some of you people need to get over it and stop accusing Crosby for foul play whenever you see fit.

Jesus christ old people are ******* annnnnoooooyiiiiing ^

Its a lot easier to document this bulls*** goin on nowadays with 30 cameras in an ice rink and every game being televised compared to back then. Plus, I think there are more respectful players than dirty ones. People just tend to focus on the dirty douches cause that gets viewers

Your opinion on this is very annoying.

You do realize that players from the 80's and 90's have been saying some of the same stuff about today's game. Are those people old too?

You do realize that players from the 80's and 90's have been saying some of the same stuff about today's game. Are those people old too?

Yes. Yes they are. Cuz they realize now if the game was that quick in the 80's theyd be out of a job.

You mean accepting a ******* interview?

Jesus H Christoph some of you people need to get over it and stop accusing Crosby for foul play whenever you see fit.

Sorry, getting over it is never gonna happen. I can't and will never respect a daisey that thinks ******* punching is considered proper etiquette in a fight. A grown man that wears the "C" and acts like a child deserves to be treated mercilessly. Doesn't matter if he is, in fact, a highly skilled player. ******-nozzles only go in 2 places. Respect that.

OT...I'm older than a lot of you. The game has changed, just like the world has changed. There was much more respect for others back then. I'm not judging or complaining, just stating the truth as I have seen it.

Edited by HOCKEY MATTERS

Sorry, getting over it is never gonna happen. I can't and will never respect a daisey that thinks ******* punching is considered proper etiquette in a fight. A grown man that wears the "C" and acts like a child deserves to be treated mercilessly. Doesn't matter if he is, in fact, a highly skilled player. ******-nozzles only go in 2 places. Respect that.

OT...I'm older than a lot of you. The game has changed, just like the world has changed. There was much more respect for others back then. I'm not judging or complaining, just stating the truth as I have seen it.

Sounds like you are jealous. At least Crosby doesn't ditch all-star games like Detroit's leaders. :ph34r:

Edited by Carman

^^^^You get jealousy out of that post? Methinks you are cracking a joke, flaming or soft in the head. From what I've seen of your opinions, the last 2 are unusual for you. Your second statement has to be a joke, right?

Edited by HOCKEY MATTERS

Guest CaliWingsNut

Edit: Deleted my comment as this is a thread that has nothing to do with Crosby.

Let's get back to talking on topic.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

I'll go a little bit off topic here,but we are talking about the respect in general.

Do you think that Crosby's disgrace after the game 7 would happen in Richard's or Mickey's days?

This is where the thread veered off course. In this context, bringing up Syndii was pertinent. That type of behavior absolutely didn't happen in Rocket and Gordie's time. It's very easy for some folks to head toward left field when they feel so strongly about something. Not a crime, but as you pointed out, still off topic.

Edited by HOCKEY MATTERS

This is where the thread veered off course. In this context, bringing up Syndii was pertinent. That type of behavior absolutely didn't happen in Rocket and Gorie's time. It's very easy for some folks to head toward left field when they feel so strongly about something. Not a crime, but as you pointed out, still off topic.

In that situation there were not media surrounding the players immediately after the win. Chelios did it as a Wing, but he didn't even try to shake the player's hands, he just walked off the ice. Crosby at least tried to get there after his interview.

It was wrong of him, but it's not like he is checking players from behind like Ovechkin...

/crosbydefense off

Edited by Carman

In that situation there were not media surrounding the players immediately after the win. Chelios did it as a Wing, but he didn't even try to shake the player's hands, he just walked off the ice. Crosby at least tried to get their after his interview.

It was wrong of him, but it's not like he is checking players from behind like Ovechkin...

/crosbydefense off

And this is my point. Back in the day, the game, the opponent you just defeated (in their own barn?), the playoff tradition of handshaking....all were more important than an interview, which can happen any time after honoring what just happened on the ice. Syndii didn't respect that.

Edited by HOCKEY MATTERS

Guest Shoreline

Granted, I haven't liked some of the turns the NHL has taken over the last couple years, regardless of whether or not I agree, I'm far less apt to listen to any person ***** about things today versus yesteryear. Too often the case is people turning into a utopia things of yore and demonize today, ignoring the fact, in this case, that hockey was slower, less intense, less physical. More stars have a capability of throwing a few punches, delivering body checks, and obviously have less retribution to fear. Part of that also comes to mind the fact that the instigator came into play. Anyways, just about every time some old ass makes an assertion about how things were better back then, they are usually full of crap. So the two options one has is nod your head and pretend they're right just to shut them up, or hand them their medicine. I guess I'm more willing to do the first to an old person, mostly because old people tend to ***** a lot about changes no matter what they are, but when someone my age suggests this, then the second is the best recourse.

(this is ignoring all the Crosby nonsense this topic just got spammed with)

Edited by Shoreline