Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:45 PM

Posted Image

#62 seeinred

seeinred

Teemu!

• HoF Booster
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:33 AM

Except the rule called on the ice was referenced to a rule that states a player must be facing the goalie, in which Pronger was not.

I haven't read or watched much coverage about this, so maybe I'm missing something obvious, but how do you know which version of unsportsmanlike conduct he was calling?

Posted Image

Crosby's Bettman Real Doll is going to get quite a workout tonight.

#63 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:46 AM

Recap?

That guy puts up Coaches Corner usually within a few hours of it airing.

For all the s*** Don Cherry gets his little bits of advice are good.

Edited by dragonballgtz, 28 November 2010 - 04:59 AM.

#64 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:03 PM

I haven't read or watched much coverage about this, so maybe I'm missing something obvious, but how do you know which version of unsportsmanlike conduct he was calling?

I'm basing it off the title of the thread.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#65 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,957 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:21 PM

I'm basing it off the title of the thread.

Hence why I called it the Avery rule, seeing how Pronger was called on an unsportsmanlike penalty for sticking his hand in front of Kipper, which I saw and knew thats exactly what they got him for when the goal was waived off.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#66 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,957 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:55 PM

That guy puts up Coaches Corner usually within a few hours of it airing.

For all the s*** Don Cherry gets his little bits of advice are good.

He didn't know Columbus made the playoffs? :huh:

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#67 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:44 PM

Looks to me like he was pointing, trying to direct the play. It kind of looked like he was pointing with his stick before he stuck his hand out too.

That's what it looked like to me too. Really bad call. And I'm not one to defend Pronger.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#68 stormboy

stormboy

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:01 AM

yeah, i have mixed feelings on this one. my gut reaction is that it's a very bush league thing to do, and that i think it should get penalized. but on the replay, it's not like it goes on for a long time, kipper is wailing on him, and it stopped a significant amount of time before the shot was taken. it would be different if the ref called the penalty AS pronger was doing it, but the ref let them play and it seemed like he retroactively assessed the penalty. i don't know.

if this happened to a wing, i'd probably be really pissed. but it happened to pronger so i'm a little happy on the inside. just like the correy perry own-goal, couldn't have happened to a better jackass.

go wings.

#69 dteowner

dteowner

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:42 AM

Pronger's a ******. You might give him a pass, if he hadn't done it twice. Watch him when the puck's on the left side (if we say the goal was scored from the right) maybe 5 seconds before the goal. He's not directing traffic, and it wasn't an "unconscious" thing.

#70 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:15 AM

That's what it looked like to me too. Really bad call. And I'm not one to defend Pronger.

Agreed 100% - I DESPISE Pronger, but this was a horrible call...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#71 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:11 PM

The shot wasn't even taken while Pronger was directing traffic. It happened a few seconds later. It was bad goaltending.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#72 MotorCityMadness

MotorCityMadness

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:08 PM

not to mention Kipper decided a nice chop to the leg was needed right before the puck went in...not the best of calls IMO
HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!

#73 Kronthewall55

Kronthewall55

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:35 PM

According to the exact written rule, this was not ilegal and should not of been called. It was pure bulls*** hockey though and just as bad and detrimental to the spirit of the game though. This situation should be a red flag that this rule just needs to be changed since it is obviously possible to wave your glove in the goalies face with out facing the tender. This move both pronger and avery have made is "douchebaggery" at it's finest and I can't help but to give props to the refs for making the call because in the spirit of good hockey it was the right thing to do, no matter what the rule book says. I really doubt there is a rule in the book that says you can't squirt maple syrup in a goalie's eyes while in front of the net, so should that not be called either? I believe the refs should have the right to make calls like these when players try to find loopholes to cheat in new ways that arn't in the book.

#74 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:10 PM

According to the exact written rule, this was not ilegal and should not of been called. It was pure bulls*** hockey though and just as bad and detrimental to the spirit of the game though. This situation should be a red flag that this rule just needs to be changed since it is obviously possible to wave your glove in the goalies face with out facing the tender. This move both pronger and avery have made is "douchebaggery" at it's finest and I can't help but to give props to the refs for making the call because in the spirit of good hockey it was the right thing to do, no matter what the rule book says. I really doubt there is a rule in the book that says you can't squirt maple syrup in a goalie's eyes while in front of the net, so should that not be called either? I believe the refs should have the right to make calls like these when players try to find loopholes to cheat in new ways that arn't in the book.

It may not have fallen under the exact written "Avery rule" but it was still unsportsmanlike conduct. And that's what he was called for.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."