• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings1110

Mitch callahan

Rate this topic

Avery was on his best behavior when he was a Wing, but my understanding is he was traded simply because he was an expendable piece and I get the sense locker room problems were already rearing their ugly head with Avery.

If it weren't for glaring problems with his own teamates, I would love to still have Avery on the team. He's not a dirty player.

Maltby is pretty much the same, except his teammates actually like him.

I don't see why everyone is so high on this kid, hes having a fine season in the WHL, but the WHL is a step below all the top european leagues and two steps below the AHL. If he can come up to the AHL and produce points and do all the things a grinder does I can see the excitement but so far its been one season in the WHL.

I don't see why everyone is so high on this kid, hes having a fine season in the WHL, but the WHL is a step below all the top european leagues and two steps below the AHL. If he can come up to the AHL and produce points and do all the things a grinder does I can see the excitement but so far its been one season in the WHL.

What? Im pretty sure the AHL is the next step after being in the WHL, and one could argue the top Euro leagues are a bit better than the AHL.

What? Im pretty sure the AHL is the next step after being in the WHL, and one could argue the top Euro leagues are a bit better than the AHL.

I would argue that the QMJHL is a step above the WHL... (not implying that one must progress from whl to qmjhl, but that its a better level of talent)I would also argue that the OHL is a half step above the WHL because its talent level is more consistent top to bottom

Edited by Shaman464

It's certainly more exciting than him sucking in the WHL.

I would argue that the QMJHL is a step above the WHL... (not implying that one must progress from whl to qmjhl, but that its a better level of talent)I would also argue that the OHL is a half step above the WHL because its talent level is more consistent top to bottom

Do you know anything about Canadian Junior Leagues? The Q is widely regarded as the worst in terms for preparing you for pro hockey and the WHL and OHL are pretty close and definitely regarded higher then the Q.

The WHL is the best league to develop a physical gritty game which is what Callahan is doing

ANd everyone is high on him because he is finally a pretty good fighter that may be home grown in Detroit and is showing he's got some skill too. He's invited to the USA world junior camp which is a pretty stacked line up. The WHL is also the hardest league to score in so a 6th round pick that made a junior team as a walk on doing this well is something to get pretty excited about

Do you know anything about Canadian Junior Leagues? The Q is widely regarded as the worst in terms for preparing you for pro hockey and the WHL and OHL are pretty close and definitely regarded higher then the Q.

The WHL is the best league to develop a physical gritty game which is what Callahan is doing

ANd everyone is high on him because he is finally a pretty good fighter that may be home grown in Detroit and is showing he's got some skill too. He's invited to the USA world junior camp which is a pretty stacked line up. The WHL is also the hardest league to score in so a 6th round pick that made a junior team as a walk on doing this well is something to get pretty excited about

You obviously know nothing about Canadian jr leagues, because you don't see the best players coming out of the WHL they all come out of the QMJHL.

You obviously know nothing about Canadian jr leagues, because you don't see the best players coming out of the WHL they all come out of the QMJHL.

laughable

1 player in the top 30 from the 2010 draft came from the Q

Edited by redwingfan19

Completely laughable, way to lose all credibility on this board. The Q is the best junior league in Canada? One last chance to change your mind before you look completely ridiculous

This is the impression I was under. I have always thought the Q was a weaker league, and the WHL and OHL are more similar to each other with the WHL being a bit more physical.

Edited by cjm502

What else could he do to impress you? The WHL is probably the best league for Callahan to be playing in. The OHL has more skill (top-10 picks) but the WHL is perfect for a gritty player like Callahan. To say that the Q is the best CHL league is totally unfounded.

I don't see why Callahan can't score 15+ goals in the NHL. Helm scored at a similar pace during his WHL career, and he is capable of 15 goals. Callahan's progression has also been impressive. He was a fourth-line walk on two years ago, and now he is playing on Kelowna's top line and being invited to the US camp.

What else could he do to impress you? The WHL is probably the best league for Callahan to be playing in. The OHL has more skill (top-10 picks) but the WHL is perfect for a gritty player like Callahan. To say that the Q is the best CHL league is totally unfounded.

I don't see why Callahan can't score 15+ goals in the NHL. Helm scored at a similar pace during his WHL career, and he is capable of 15 goals. Callahan's progression has also been impressive. He was a fourth-line walk on two years ago, and now he is playing on Kelowna's top line and being invited to the US camp.

This to me is what I find most interesting. What is this kid's ceiling? as soon as he came and played with some good coaches and better competition he has improved remarkably and has kept improving. Last summer hardly any of us thought that he would get invited to the world junior camp, now I think he has a really good chance.

When does this kid stop developing? He sure hasn't the last 3 years

Abby Helm Callahan would basically be what the grind line was for us. Abby is like Maltby (except a bit tougher), Helm is like Drapes and Callahan will basically be a Mccarty probably. Mac fought the heavies but wasn't the biggest or most feared fighter in the league, I think Callahan will be right around that level.

If Helm and Abby can become stronger defensively and continue to become very good penalty killers we will prettymuch have a carbon copy of the grind line

IMO Abby has too much talent to be pegged on a grind line. I think the kid has serious potential, he could be a 2nd line winger should he keep developing. He was great again tonight, just like he has been all season, his on-ice vision is really impressing me.

IMO Abby has too much talent to be pegged on a grind line. I think the kid has serious potential, he could be a 2nd line winger should he keep developing. He was great again tonight, just like he has been all season, his on-ice vision is really impressing me.

I agree with this as well. But I think Abdelkader will be a Cleary type guy who can play on every single line and that at points we will see a combo of Abby and Callahan.

I think Aubry Callahan and Andderson also could have the making of a grind line. Aubry is pretty physical and very good defensively, Callahan the tough guy and Andersson a shut down forward that can play physical.

Sheahan could also center this line for a bit when he comes to the NHL, though I expect him to have much higher upside

Not everybody out of the Q is a Lecavalier or... What's that annoying kid's name in Pittsburgh?

Vinny and Cros are really the only high end prospects that have came from the Q in recent memory. Courturier should be a beauty as well but still, the OHL to me is the best junior league all around

Completely laughable, way to lose all credibility on this board. The Q is the best junior league in Canada? One last chance to change your mind before you look completely ridiculous

Each one has its strengths, but its obvious that better players (IE the ones who go on to have hall of fame level careers) come from the QMJHL. The WHL produces a lot of 3-4th line energy guys, and while I like that, you can't argue that player for player, the QMJHL has had more top line players come out of it.

Each one has its strengths, but its obvious that better players (IE the ones who go on to have hall of fame level careers) come from the QMJHL. The WHL produces a lot of 3-4th line energy guys, and while I like that, you can't argue that player for player, the QMJHL has had more top line players come out of it.

The last 10 years who are the best players to come out of the Q? Compare that to the O and the WHL and the Q isn't even close.

I'm not talking about the days of super mario, Lafleur etc playing in the Q right now. You will be the only person on this site that says the Q is a step above the dub and the OHL.

The last 10 years who are the best players to come out of the Q? Compare that to the O and the WHL and the Q isn't even close.

I'm not talking about the days of super mario, Lafleur etc playing in the Q right now. You will be the only person on this site that says the Q is a step above the dub and the OHL.

off the top of my head.... Crosby?

off the top of my head.... Crosby?

Like I said earlier, Crosby and Lecalvier are the only really high touted prospects to come out of the Q, where are the rest of these future hall of famers you were talking about, Crosby is just one player

And learns to fight. God I hope he's Canadian. He is Canadian isn't he?

From California actually and is already a great fighter. No worries Chris we have a north american fighter on the way, I know you've wanted one for so long

So, I know this is likely skewed a little bit by the number of teams, amount of time they've been in operation, etc. Somebody, if they feel so inspired, can feel free to adjust for that. But I don't think that those factors are too significant here. Anyways, at least the raw numbers:

OHL: 1983 players drafted to NHL

WHL: 1719 players drafted to NHL

QMJHL: 960 players drafted to NHL

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=31877

Oh yeah, and I'm pretty excited about this Callahan kid too.

So, I know this is likely skewed a little bit by the number of teams, amount of time they've been in operation, etc. Somebody, if they feel so inspired, can feel free to adjust for that. But I don't think that those factors are too significant here. Anyways, at least the raw numbers:

OHL: 1983 players drafted to NHL

WHL: 1719 players drafted to NHL

QMJHL: 960 players drafted to NHL

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=31877

Oh yeah, and I'm pretty excited about this Callahan kid too.

Well by raw draft numbers over the last 5 years the whl and qmjhl are a wash both averaging ~1.3 player per team being drafted per year. OHL runs away with the most overall # of players drafted.

Newfy just because I think players who can fight as their main attribute are a waste of a roster spot doesn't mean my opinion is invalid, I played hockey as a kid and still play pick up games whenever my shoulder (which I broke in the military) isn't acting up. So I do have some understanding of the game. We will always disagree on this roll and right now I am on the same side as the Wings management. So lets just agree to disagree here, and I will keep to my anti-enforcer/agitator stance.

Edited by Shaman464

So why so much fan fair for Callahan when we have Teemu Pulkkinen who is running away with the rookie scoring lead in Finland, has 29 points, 7th in total points is +12 and has the 3rd highest ppg in their league? What is Callahan? like 35th?

Edited by Shaman464

Well by raw draft numbers over the last 5 years the whl and qmjhl are a wash both averaging ~1.3 player per team being drafted per year. OHL runs away with the most overall # of players drafted.

Newfy just because I think players who can fight as their main attribute are a waste of a roster spot doesn't mean my opinion is invalid, I played hockey as a kid and still play pick up games whenever my shoulder (which I broke in the military) isn't acting up. So I do have some understanding of the game. We will always disagree on this roll and right now I am on the same side as the Wings management. So lets just agree to disagree here, and I will keep to my anti-enforcer/agitator stance.

Its not even about that, everyone is entitled to their opinion, just because you dont think enforcers/agitators help a team doesn't mean I think you know nothing about hockey. I just think that you are wrong about the Q being the best league to develop players in when most people (Probably 99%) would have it as the worst of the three leagues.

As for Callahan it does kind of seem like youre trying to down play what this kid has done so far inn his junior career. He has shown that he is a great fighter and a physical player sure, but he's also showing tremendous improvement.

He went from a walk on try out for a junior team, getting drafted they didnt even have his name to put on the draft board and now hes being invited to try out for the USA world junior team and is producing over a ppg while being strong on the PK and defensively and a great fighter. That is something a wings fan should be proud the wings scooped in the 6th round, just as much as stealing some skilled european