• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#61 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:01 AM

Well the reason why people bring up the hall of fame standard is because of Red Kelly and Larry Aurie.

I keep wanting to start a grassroots effort to get Kelly's number retired... Actually talked to Ted Lindsay recently and he is all for it.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#62 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:08 AM

I keep wanting to start a grassroots effort to get Kelly's number retired... Actually talked to Ted Lindsay recently and he is all for it.

What about getting them into the Hall of Fame?

#63 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:10 AM

Wh-huh?

I don't see Feds getting 91 hung butů wh-huh?

Sorry, I meant IF you're taking one of the three. To me Osgood has done more than enough and should be automatic but not Fedorov or Shanny.

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#64 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:02 AM

fedorov was a major contributor to 5 deep playoff runs
if he had stuck around with the wings who knows..

#65 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:10 AM

No.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#66 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:28 AM

Some people think Ozzie should be retired?

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

If we won Game 7 of the 2009 Final, Ozzie would have won the Conn Smythe, and there would be a good argument that his number should be retired. I think a 2009 Cup would have been that important to his career, putting him at the next level as a goalie.

With that said, no I don't think Ozzie's #30 should be retired, but he, no doubt in my mind, should be in the Hall of Fame.

Zetterberg would have won the Conn Smythe again. Ozzie was absolutely stellar in the first two games of that series, then very average after that.

Posted Image

#67 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:52 AM

Be kinda awkward not to put the winningest goalie in franchise history into the rafters, imo.

It's like.. here's the this goalie, he's played 14 seasons for us, some as a backup, most as a starter, he's been involved in 3 of our 4 cups, 2 as a starter, oh, and he's our winningest goalie ever and has a crowd chant dedicated to him... but oh wait, let's not put him in the rafters when he retires because he's got a bad rep that stuck around from 1 long range goal in a playoff series.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#68 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:03 AM

While the decision to retire a number is up to the owner of the team, but Kenny loves Ozzy, and I think he has a good chance to having his number retired.

I do believe that Ozzy deserves more recognition than he ever has, or will get. The fact is, people are always going to say he's only good because of Detroit's defense. It's ironic in that sense because they NEVER point out Brodeur's defense, and he hasn't won a single championship without that defense either. I believe Roy had a damn good defense core in front of him for the majority of his career. The ONLY 'elite' goalies who have rarely had a superior defense were Hasek, and arguably Cujo (if you consider him elite)

#69 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:58 AM

If it is debatable to great lengths, it should not be up there.

I pretty much always stick up for Osgood when fans in here act like morons towards him, but fair or not, the perceived standards of the Wings retiring jersey numbers is pretty high.

It might be one of those numbers that isn't hanging up high, but more/less not worn as a general rule, or at least for a long time.

#70 shoe

shoe

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:24 AM

If he wins tonights game vs the Devils yes, if not no.

#71 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:37 AM

A goalie's success is based on the team in front of him. I realize they have to be good at what they do, but there is only so much that can be done if your team doesn't contribute defensively and offensively. Goalies aren't the one scoring the goals, so if the team in front of him isn't producing it's difficult to get those wins no matter how good they are. And again, his total career success should be the basis for consideration for either HHOF or retiring his number, not recent times. Also, I would think that the Wings will look at what contribution Osgood had made to the team's success outside of just the numbers because there are other factors that make people great team players. I don't know what standards the Wings use when considering retiring a number, but I hope that his number is not used for quite a long time once he's done playing.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#72 Franzenisgod

Franzenisgod

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:38 AM

Dude, lay off whatever your sippin on cause Nick is about as certain as the sunrise to be in the rafters. Were talking the best Wings d-man ever and a career Wing here.

"No doubt, no doubt in my mind"

No offense to u or nick but best of all time. I would say its between him and orr
Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time! - Mickey Redmond

#73 Franzenisgod

Franzenisgod

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:47 AM

sawhuck should be the benchmark for whether or not a wings goalie's number should be retired

Exactly. Which is why putting Ozzy's number in the rafters is a no-brainer. He's the all time leader in playoff wins plus has 3 cups and will have over 400 victories. Plus he is number 2 all time in regular season wins in a winged wheel. It would just be assenine to not retire his number

It's the same as Gretzky is the best player to play the game, no question about that, still there will be some people putting lemieux over him for whatever reason.

Gretzky is a *****!!!! I think him and Cindy have a secret love child together :ph34r:

My thinking is that Osgood won't be in the rafters simply because the Red Wings have such high qualifications. If Osgood's number was put up in the rafters it would then, inevitably, bring out the question of why he was chosen over other players - "if he got there, then why not Fedorov, why not Shanny?" If you compare his impact to that of those two players, it would be unfair that the honour not be theirs as well. The Red Wings have only chosen iconic players that have contributed to the culture of the franchise.

Fedorov and shanahan wont have their numbers retired but should get an honorable mention somehow
Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time! - Mickey Redmond

#74 Franzenisgod

Franzenisgod

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:53 AM

Orr is a better defenseman than Lidstrom and only Red Wings fans will argue otherwise.

Sorry, there is a reason people label Orr in the top 5 ALL TIME.

And they dont label nick that? For one its almost impossible to compare the two(2 different eras, 2 different styles of d-men) You can't really argue in any sport about who was the "best of all time". Like many people debate Gretzky and Howe. WHile Gretzky have mpre points....Howe was by far the more complete player. Or that would be like comparing Barry to walter

#75 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:25 PM

14 first

#76 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:33 PM

Be kinda awkward not to put the winningest goalie in franchise history into the rafters, imo.

It's like.. here's the this goalie, he's played 14 seasons for us, some as a backup, most as a starter, he's been involved in 3 of our 4 cups, 2 as a starter, oh, and he's our winningest goalie ever and has a crowd chant dedicated to him... but oh wait, let's not put him in the rafters when he retires because he's got a bad rep that stuck around from 1 long range goal in a playoff series.

He won 2 cups with us thats it. Yeah he played a long time with the team and filled his role admirably but a goalie who at one point gets waved by the wings when he was around the age of his prime. We had powerhouse teams for the most part when Ozzie played here and he did his job well.

But he was nothing spectacular ever. He got the job done but he never played well enough to be an all time great thats for sure and like I said earlier, does anyone really think Ozzie compares to any of these players...

Howe, Yzerman, Sawchuk, Abel, Lindsey, or even Lidstrom in the future?

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#77 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:46 PM

He won 2 cups with us thats it. Yeah he played a long time with the team and filled his role admirably but a goalie who at one point gets waved by the wings when he was around the age of his prime. We had powerhouse teams for the most part when Ozzie played here and he did his job well.

But he was nothing spectacular ever. He got the job done but he never played well enough to be an all time great thats for sure and like I said earlier, does anyone really think Ozzie compares to any of these players...

Howe, Yzerman, Sawchuk, Abel, Lindsey, or even Lidstrom in the future?

Oz won 3 cups with us 97, 98, & 08, as Datsyerberger stated 2 as a starter. I don't think any goalie will be deemed worthy of having his number retired by Wings fans, they seem to be very hard on them no matter who's in net. Give it time and there will be those that have negative things to say about Howard, there already are some.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#78 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:55 PM

Oz won 3 cups with us 97, 98, & 08, as Datsyerberger stated 2 as a starter. I don't think any goalie will be deemed worthy of having his number retired by Wings fans, they seem to be very hard on them no matter who's in net. Give it time and there will be those that have negative things to say about Howard, there already are some.

You think him winning a cup as a backup is going to have any sway in if he gets his number retired? I doubt it, he was the backup.

Osgood has not been that great for a long time now, I know people are saying its the end of his career, but what about when he was with St Louis and the Islanders? There is a reason he got waived and no teams wanted to trade for him.

If he was an all time great, which is what I think you need to be to get in the rafters, he would not have been waived. He got the job done for us, made some saves which is all he had to do with the team infront of him and he did it. He had a great career but not a rafters worthy one

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#79 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:23 PM

Osgood has not been that great for a long time now, I know people are saying its the end of his career, but what about when he was with St Louis and the Islanders? There is a reason he got waived and no teams wanted to trade for him.

Once again, Osgood's numbers improved after going to NYI and got worse after leaving St. Louis. He still won games on both those teams.

Posted Image

#80 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:35 PM

Once again, Osgood's numbers improved after going to NYI and got worse after leaving St. Louis. He still won games on both those teams.

Yeah so he got better with the Islanders, that means Detroit should hang his jersey? Osgood was never an elite goalie during his time in the NHL, a good goalie yes.

I cant believe you think he belongs with Howe, Yzermans, Sawchuk etc. These are all time greats, not just good players :rolleyes:

RIP BOB PROBERT #24