• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
achildr1

Retire Osgood's #30?

Rate this topic

After thinking about it today, I'm now in favor of retiring Ozzie's #30. 400 wins, second all time in regular season wins in franchise history, first all time in playoff wins in franchise history, 3 Cup rings (2 as a starter), 5 time Western Conference Champion (3 as a starter), probably the 3rd best big game goalie the past 20 years (behind Roy and Brodeur), and a future hall of famer.

If that isn't jersey retirement worthy, I don't know what is.

4th best... You forget Hasek.

4th best... You forget Hasek.

This shouldn't surprise you around here, Boost. ;)

I think they might respect Ozzie's number for a long time, and no one else in goal would wear it as a Wing, but I still wonder about permanently retiring Ozzie's number in Detroit. Not arguing for or against, but I somehow don't expect that.

#1 Chris Osgood never actually had the choice to stay in Detroit when Hasek was acquired.

#2 The guy has 400 wins, doesn't come too ofter.

#3 2 Cups as a starter - 1 as a backup.

IMO this guys is probably not the best goalie to ever play in his time but he sure is a decent goalie day in day out to have. His a goalie that will never quit and play his best every night.

Send him to the HOF the guy deserves it.

After his 400th? Yeah, I think he deserves the HHOF AND a retired Number. C'mon look at the stats! The man is one of the BEST Goalies EVER. To be honest, if you think he doesn't you're crazy. He is more than likely going to retire as a Red Wing, with everything he has contributed to the team I WANT that # up there. Lidstrom and Osgood deserve to be up there together. Is it sacred ground? Surely, and these two are the best still left of those teams. Draper and Holmstrom did not provide like them so NO they don't need to be retired. Neither does Shannahan or Fedorov, they left and even if they contributed like Yzerman they weren't "The Captain" or our goalie or 6-Time Norris Trophy winner.

Tell me number 30 wouldn't look good up there with 5! :D:thumbup:

Guest Stolberg

#1 Chris Osgood never actually had the choice to stay in Detroit when Hasek was acquired.

#2 The guy has 400 wins, doesn't come too ofter.

#3 2 Cups as a starter - 1 as a backup.

IMO this guys is probably not the best goalie to ever play in his time but he sure is a decent goalie day in day out to have. His a goalie that will never quit and play his best every night.

Send him to the HOF the guy deserves it.

he's a decent goalie

send him to the hall!

I side with the sentiment about the Joe's rafters being something really special. So yes, guys like Nick are a no brainer. I don't think anyone else per se is a complete "lock" to have his number retired other than him.

As for Ozzie, I think his numbers and play throughout the many many years speak for themselves. He HAS to be considered for the Hall, simply for his stats and longevity, no? That's just my opinion. But Ozzie in the rafters, I'll say this. I wouldn't mind it. I really could see it going either way. He's been a staple in the team for so long. But he's never been considered an "elite" goaltender for whatever reason. But he's always shut those critics up.

It goes back an forth and unfortunately, for whatever reason, I don't see either happening, as deserving as he is.

Dude, lay off whatever your sippin on cause Nick is about as certain as the sunrise to be in the rafters. Were talking the best Wings d-man ever and a career Wing here.

"No doubt, no doubt in my mind"

Probably in the top 5 all time - so duh.

I like the fact that the wings are selective about who gets up there. Right now there are 6 with number 7 being Lidstrom. I just don't think Osgood belongs in that group. When all is said and done it is unlikely that Z or D will belong either - but time will tell.

It's a tiring argument. But realize this. Before the team acquired Hasek, Osgood was one of the team's 3-4 best players every season from his sophomore season on.

His number should be hung up high in the rafters.

Yzerman, Lidstrom, Shanahan, Fedorov. You could argue about Vernon, Chelios, and Konstantinov being better during those years.

Try again.

Edited by achildr1

You know, I've debated this one internally for a while and finally decided on a way to answer it:

"If Ozzie's number was raised to the rafters, would the Ozzie chant in the Joe be thunderous?"

The answer to that question is my answer.

This is a really good point. The sentimental factor would be tremendous and highly memorable. You may have just changed my stance...

I'm still gonna reserve total judgement until we see how this season plays out. If he goes out in glory, or at least comes close to glory on any level (back-up or no), I'd say he would be definitely worthy.

Edited by Broken 16

Guest CaliWingsNut

We'll be debating Osgood's merit until the end of time. That alone makes him worthy. :ph34r:

or unworthy. :ph34r:

Let's start with the fact that I don't hate Osgood as some of you may think. I just don't like him playing....in today's NHL.

He's actually about middle of the pack stats wise when compared to other HoF goalies.

He's got 3 cups, but there are some HoF goalies with 6 and several with none. He's 10th in games won, but not all 9 of the others are in the HoF.

His stats place him in a spot where he could make it in (and I doubt many would complain), but there is nothing that comparatively makes him stand out as someone deserving of the honor. It seems to me that the thing that puts a goalie in the HoF is his ability to make a mark on the game. Osgood's only mark is how long he's played.