• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

12/31 GDT: Islanders 4 at Red Wings 3 OT)

Rate this topic

I might as well say this now, wings will get rocked by flyers on sunday as well, leino will probably do something sweet...too many injuries and not paying attention to details will cost the game, of course, poor goaltending, but that's to be expected from detroit.

Are you saying this preemptively because that means you won't be here in the GDT for the game? Please let it be so. The lack of negativity in the thread would be so refreshing...

Howard can't stop a ******* beach ball. Start Osgood. Jimmy needs to earn to play.

Howard had a fine game. It's frustrating he can't give up fewer than 4 goals most of the time now, but that last goal wasn't his fault, he was in motion and I've seen many goalies give that goal up consistently.

Still, Osgood has been playing well and I think he should get more starts so I hope they go with him.

Jimmy "My team has to score five goals to win" Howard.

Seriously Babcock. Time to give Ozzie more than one start in a row. It can't be worse.

I am so sick of how much crap we give our guys. Jimmy has had a bad month. If anyone deserves your ludicrous moniker, its Ozzie, and we all know it. Have we all forgot how terrible Ozzie has been CONSISTANTLY, minus the 2009 playoofs, for two years. Meanwhile, Jimmy has a bad month after being incredible for us last year, and he deserves this crap...lay off, seriously.

I'm for Ozzie getting some starts because he's actually been decent for a few games. Just take it easy when guys slump...sheez.

Edited by achildr1

Guest mindfly

Why the hell are you so obsessed with the Flyers? They have as many points as the Red Wings in a s***ty conference.

And flyers won 7-3 against the kings, a team detroit has yet to win against.

It's not looking very good, did you forgot how many injuries detroit have and have two rookies in the lineup, maybe eaves won't play on sunday either.. it's a bad situation.

Edited by mindfly

Guest Heaten

Wings aren't going deep in the playoffs with Howard in net. Might be another year for Osgood to shine in the playoffs.

Wings are going to score 5 games a night in the playoffs to get Howard the win. What an awful goalie. :thumbdown:

It's not looking very good, did you forgot how many injuries detroit have and have two rookies in the lineup, maybe eaves won't play on sunday either.. it's a bad situation.

Yet magically Detroit is at the top of the West.

Imagine that.

Guest mindfly

Howard had a fine game. It's frustrating he can't give up fewer than 4 goals most of the time now, but that last goal wasn't his fault, he was in motion and I've seen many goalies give that goal up consistently.

Still, Osgood has been playing well and I think he should get more starts so I hope they go with him.

ROFL, you can't be serious?

This isn't college football. Just because the Flyers beat the Kings, a team Detroit has trouble against, doesn't mean Detroit can't beat Philly. Hockey is a game where any team can win on any given night, and it usually is a random pattern.

The Wings have always had more trouble with the crappy teams than with the elite. Does that blow your mind?

The Kings played like crap that game, plus the refs handed the Flyers a couple 5 on 3s. One of the refs (Auger, I think) had his panties in such a twist with a few Kings players that with a few minutes left in the game, he gave 10 minute misconducts to two different Kings players on two separate plays, but didn't call a minor penalty on either of them. I've never even seen something like that before.

In other words, it was a weird game and the Kings didn't play well. This isn't rock paper scissors. Flyers beating Kings, Kings beating Wings, does not necessarily follow that Flyers beat Wings.

tatar looked great, wish i didn't miss his goal

Tatar was amazing. Had a great first shift, and he was knocking down Islanders left and right every other shift. The kid is like a dog going after a bone when he's on the ice, always chasing down the puck. I like Mursak, too but Tatar looked great when he was out there, earned himself another game for sure.

I am so sick of how much crap we give our guys. Jimmy has had a bad month. If anyone deserves your ludicrous moniker, its Ozzie, and we all know it. Have we all forgot how terrible Ozzie has been CONSISTANTLY, minus the 2009 playoofs, for two years. Meanwhile, Jimmy has a bad month after being incredible for us last year, and he deserves this crap...lay off, seriously.

I do recall a goalie making 46 saves not too long ago and his last name wasn't Howard. My point is I don't see why Babcock keeps going back to Howard so much when he has given up 4 goals in practically every start lately. You can bring up the past all you want, but Chris Osgood is playing better than Jimmy Howard right now. Ozzie needs to get some more starts.

Besides, Jimmy had one great year and I can't criticize his play but Chris Osgood has won two Stanley Cups as a starter and that's acceptable?

And with this and all the other outpouring of spoiled whining, I think I'll be done for tonight.

Probably a good idea, because the once irrational, knee-jerk reactions to Howard's play on nights like this are becoming more grounded in reality lately.

The guy is not playing horrible, but he sure as hell is not playing that well lately. He's had a lot more less than flattering games lately and a lot less great games.

His game log for the last 20 isn't the prettiest site...

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8470657&season=20102011&view=gamelog

9 games with sub-.900 save % over the last 20; some worse than others. He's definitely had some solid efforts in there too, but he hasn't been nearly as consistent this year as he was last year.

And I don't want to read too much into it, but the last minute goals at the end of periods thing is really just strange. Certainly not all were horrible goals on his end to give up, but I have to wonder if there's a focus issue there, not just for him though but for this whole team. 19 minutes a period just isn't enough and I can't help but believe that we're probably leading in giving up last minute goals.

With Osgood playing better this year and putting up some real solid games lately, I think it's getting to be about time to get a more equal rotation going on until one of them can prove that they can get a role going. Osgood hasn't had the chance to do it and Howard simply hasn't been doing it lately. With the injuries piling up again, we can't afford to have inconsistent goaltending. Howard will be fine long-run, he's still a real talented goalie, but Osgood's proving that he's got something left and if he can be the hot hand, we need to get him in more games.

tatar looked great, wish i didn't miss his goal

Yeah, Tatar was awesome. Not that I'm glad Eaves is injured, but I am glad Tatar got a chance for some glory; I really liked what I saw out of him at training camp. You know, even though I totally just whined, I am pretty proud of them for coming back twice now from being down 2 goals and at least giving themselves a good chance at winning. It's been the "little" guys like Eaves and Tatar who have been making the difference, and I am really proud of our depth.

Guest mindfly

This isn't college football. Just because the Flyers beat the Kings, a team Detroit has trouble against, doesn't mean Detroit can't beat Philly. Hockey is a game where any team can win on any given night, and it usually is a random pattern.

The Wings have always had more trouble with the crappy teams than with the elite. Does that blow your mind?

If detroit has the same lineup as tonight on sunday and wins the game in regulation, i'll eat crow and more.... i'm that convinced.

Probably a good idea, because the once irrational, knee-jerk reactions to Howard's play on nights like this are becoming more grounded in reality lately.

The guy is not playing horrible, but he sure as hell is not playing that well lately. He's had a lot more less than flattering games lately and a lot less great games.

His game log for the last 20 isn't the prettiest site...

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8470657&season=20102011&view=gamelog

9 games with sub-.900 save % over the last 20; some worse than others. He's definitely had some solid efforts in there too, but he hasn't been nearly as consistent this year as he was last year.

And I don't want to read too much into it, but the last minute goals at the end of periods thing is really just strange. Certainly not all were horrible goals on his end to give up, but I have to wonder if there's a focus issue there, not just for him though but for this whole team. 19 minutes a period just isn't enough and I can't help but believe that we're probably leading in giving up last minute goals.

With Osgood playing better this year and putting up some real solid games lately, I think it's getting to be about time to get a more equal rotation going on until one of them can prove that they can get a role going. Osgood hasn't had the chance to do it and Howard simply hasn't been doing it lately. With the injuries piling up again, we can't afford to have inconsistent goaltending. Howard will be fine long-run, he's still a real talented goalie, but Osgood's proving that he's got something left and if he can be the hot hand, we need to get him in more games.

Great post.

It's rare to find a thoughtful, reasoned one regarding goaltenders around here.

Jimmy hasn't been awful, but he certainly hasn't been as good as last season either. And Ozzy, thankfully, has been a lot better than he was this past season. I think Ozzy's warranted a few more starts. At the very least, hopefully it'll put some heat on Jimmy and he'll get his game back together.

Guest mindfly

where did I praise Howard ? I simply stated your claiming someone is clueless when 2 weeks ago you were all over prices nuts about how amazing he is.

Both you and i know Howard couldn't even be the starter in Montreal, he would be in Hamilton, so no need to discuss that further..it's definitely not his fault montreal lost some games the past weeks, he's still got good stats, you can't say the same about howard as he is one of the biggest reason's for detroit's losses.