• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

1/4 GDT: Red Wings 5 at Oilers 3

Rate this topic

It is unfortunate.

But welcome to the boards! There's other stuff here besides goalie wars, I swear. Stick around! :P

Thank you. :)

I just moved to Atlanta from Metro Detroit so you guys have to replace my at-home hockey crowd. :P

Glad to get the win. And goalie wars aside, this team still doesn't know how to clamp it down defensively.

Agreed. The Red Wings have a ton of trouble in their own zone when teams intensify the forecheck like the Oilers did in the third. I think Rafalski and Ericsson need to be split up - those two turned the puck over a ton tonight. That's not really anything new for Rafalski, but I think he would be better suited paired with someone more reliable defensively like Stuart. They have got to improve greatly as a team at cutting down on turnovers and improving defensive coverage. The front of the net is too accessible for opponents right now.

Ozzie had some huge saves, especially when the game was 3-1 and then again near the end. Third goal was rather weak and even though the Oilers didn't have many shots, a good chunk were quality scoring chances. He gave the team a chance to win with some timely stops. I hope people don't look at the GAA or save percentage and deem this game a failure for Ozzie because it definitely was not the case.

Wow. I literally joined this site right before tonight's game and I can already see how almost every thread gets turned into a goalie war.

You should have seen the Hasek/Cujo/Legace debacle in '03-'04. I still have nightmares...

And welcome to the boards!

How many did Ozzie let in today?

And if we lost the game it would be because Ozzie let in a weak one. I fail to see what puts Ozzie over Howard right now when they both are letting in 3 goals against in their own way.

Perhaps the context of the situation is necessary?

The defense is not doing the goaltenders any favors right now. However, Osgood is doing good with what he has while Howard is doing alright with what he has.

Howard needs to get from alright to great. He is our #1 and he needs to show he can bail out the defense on occasion.

I am unsure if any goaltender in the league can stop some of the shots the defense are giving up

this season reminds me of the 08-09 season where the wings would try to outscore the opponent instead of playing solid defense. i guess its not that bad since the wings made it to the finals

Edited by brett

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Goaltenders aside, this team still needed 4 goals to win against the worst team in the West. That is unacceptable and an insurmountable task to achieve every game. It is easy to blame the goalie, which is why we see so many threads ragging on both Howard and Osgood, but neither one of them is really the problem at this point.

Goaltenders aside, this team still needed 4 goals to win against the worst team in the West. That is unacceptable and an insurmountable task to achieve every game. It is easy to blame the goalie, which is why we see so many threads ragging on both Howard and Osgood, but neither one of them is really the ENTIRE problem at this point.

Agreed, but FTFY.

Agreed. One sloppy goal, but otherwise he was great. I'd say he should get the next start but I doubt we'll be that lucky. He's just making the saves when they need to be made.

Like the middle of the third to tie the game? It's a nice sentiment, but that wasn't entirely the case. I'm not trying to hate on him, but that goal was on him exactly when they needed saves to be made.

Helm's had a number of good scoresheet games lately, as well as the good hustle that led to the penalty in Ozzie's 400th. Seems like the hands are finally starting to catch up to the legs that have impressed since 2008.

Guest mindfly

I really didn't like osgoods 3rd goal, and of course the mandatory 3 goals against in every game, bertuzzi got a lucky bounce for the go ahead goal and osgood could sigh a huge relief... .880 sv% weeeeiii

Best on the ice was darren helm easily, wheels!!!

Tatar made som great plays but also som rookie mistakes to go along with it, thought eaves would play but obviously he didn't

Too bad Mursak couldn't finish on his break away.

Btw why don't they change up the defense pairs?

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Ericsson-Stuart

Rafalski-Salei

?

Edited by mindfly

Goaltenders aside, this team still needed 4 goals to win against the worst team in the West. That is unacceptable and an insurmountable task to achieve every game. It is easy to blame the goalie, which is why we see so many threads ragging on both Howard and Osgood, but neither one of them is really the problem at this point.

Didn't watch the game? The 3rd (tying) was a bad goal by Ozzie. If he stops that, the Wings win 5-2

I really didn't like osgoods 3rd goal, and of course the mandatory 3 goals against in every game, bertuzzi got a lucky bounce for the go ahead goal and osgood could sigh a huge relief... .880 sv% weeeeiii

Best on the ice was darren helm easily, wheels!!!

Tatar made som great plays but also som rookie mistakes to go along with it, thought eaves would play but obviously he didn't

Too bad Mursak couldn't finish on his break away.

Btw why don't they change up the defense pairs?

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Ericsson-Stuart

Rafalski-Salei

?

The lucky bounce goal didn't matter because Helm scored a solid goal right after. The Wings average 2.80 GAA which I think is less than 3. Yesterday you said that Khabibulin was the better goalie but he gave up 5 goals.

Guest mindfly

The lucky bounce goal didn't matter because Helm scored a solid goal right after. The Wings average 2.80 GAA which I think is less than 3. Yesterday you said that Khabibulin was the better goalie but he gave up 5 goals.

And he still made more quality saves than osgood, and oilers, the worst team in the west didn't have ryan whitney in the lineup, whom also is their top scorer (wow), the only defenseman on their team with a solid +/- at +13 compared to lidstrom's +2 for example... 2goals 25 assists on the oilers pretty darn impressive.

Edited by mindfly

I am unsure if any goaltender in the league can stop some of the shots the defense are giving up

this season reminds me of the 08-09 season where the wings would try to outscore the opponent instead of playing solid defense. i guess its not that bad since the wings made it to the finals

Don't have the time to thumb through because I am sure it was already brought up but...

I think we should invoke a rule that if you state a player sucks and then goes on to net 2 goals and consequently the GWG you should be allowed to take John Keating's job for the next game. No.....really. Please.

HAHA... people finding a way to complain about wins. I know I know. I do forget where I am reading sometimes. But to see Draper and Helm have a real strong showing last night is a huuuuuge + in my book. Helm HAD to get a goal at some point with the performance last night. Win's a win sheesh.

Yes, but the Wings are missing 1/6 of their team in terms of salary. And really, a win is a win. Edmonton has some good players, and they can play well.

Wouldn't call it a lucky bounce either because Flip was over there with a wide open net and it was going right to him.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Didn't watch the game? The 3rd (tying) was a bad goal by Ozzie. If he stops that, the Wings win 5-2

But he didn't stop it and the Wings again needed 4 goals to win.

Yes, but the Wings are missing 1/6 of their team in terms of salary. And really, a win is a win. Edmonton has some good players, and they can play well.

I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy. I brought this up yesterday and it didn't matter much.