• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

"No pain out there today," Howard said Wednesday, following practice at Scottrade Center. "The only reason I couldn't play Tuesday was I couldn't move. Gave me a couple extra days, continued to do treatment. The swelling is pretty much all gone. It wasn't affecting me at all today."

mlive

Same projected lines as the last few games as well in article.

Edited by HankthaTank, 19 January 2011 - 03:41 PM.

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#2 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

mlive

Great news there, MacDonald looked shaky and unsure about his decisions last night, made a couple good saves too, but that first goal was pretty deflating...

If Osgood is indeed done for the year as many reports are suggesting, Holland needs to go out and get a competent veteran backup... I wonder what Manny Legace is up to :ph34r:

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#3 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

Hopefully he gets his s*** together. He has been letting in soft goals on a regular basis.

#4 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

Not at all comforting that he couldn't even move and was the backup last night. Would have been a colossal implosion or another injury that would have had him out there. Glad it didn't come to that.

#5 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:51 PM

Yeah Jimmy needs to really take the reigns here. He almost got outplayed by our THIRD string goalie.

One of the main reasons we were able to get through our big string of injuries last season was because Howie was excellent in net. I'd feel a whole lot better going forward if we would stop letting in 3 or 4 goals every single night.
Posted Image

#6 h2obury

h2obury

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:59 PM

Good I am glad MacDonald just was not cutting it although he did make a couple of nice saves. I just feel that the Wings play better when they have a goalie that they trust in net.
"All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~Gordie Howe

#7 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:22 PM

It's good to have Howard back. Even though he hasn't been playing very consistently, he's still a better option than MacDonald. With that being said, I won't be happy until Datsyuk is back.

#8 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,280 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:24 PM

Good news. MacDonald made a couple good saves last night but time to get Jimmy back in the nets and get his confidence moving again.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#9 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:24 PM

i never thought i would say this but... thank god.

#10 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,048 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:28 PM

Hopefully, it's last year's version of Howard, and not what we've seen this season.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#11 Miss Wing Queen

Miss Wing Queen

Hockeytown's Helmetless Hero

• PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:36 PM

Great news there, MacDonald looked shaky and unsure about his decisions last night, made a couple good saves too, but that first goal was pretty deflating...

If Osgood is indeed done for the year as many reports are suggesting, Holland needs to go out and get a competent veteran backup... I wonder what Manny Legace is up to :ph34r:

I'm still doubting these "rumors." I've not seen any articles stating that the team feels he is out for the rest of the season. But at the same time, there have not been many news stories since his surgery to tell how well he is progressing, so it's up in the air.

Here's a Detroit News article that states:
"Holland expects Osgood to be healthy enough to return by March 1 and Modano by March 15."

Until I hear otherwise, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that early March is when he will be coming back.

Good to hear Jimmy will be back in goal on Thursday. I really feared the injury was worst than it has been based on how bad knee bruises usually are. MacDonald did better than I thought he would, and some of his saves reminded me of Jimmy's from last season. Although, I was getting a laugh every time Ken Daniels would shout "Oh, MacDonald . . ." when he made a great save because my mind always automatically added: "had a farm, ei-ei-oo."

I just hope Jimmy can get back to how he was playing last season and at the very beginning of this season because he really needs to carry us a bit until we start getting guys back.

#12 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:37 PM

Yeah Jimmy needs to really take the reigns here. He almost got outplayed by our THIRD string goalie.

One of the main reasons we were able to get through our big string of injuries last season was because Howie was excellent in net. I'd feel a whole lot better going forward if we would stop letting in 3 or 4 goals every single night.

Actually, he has a GAA of 2.83 so he isn't letting in 3 or 4 goals every single night but don't let the facts get in the way of a good story...
Do or do not. There is no try

#13 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:39 PM

Actually, he has a GAA of 2.83 so he isn't letting in 3 or 4 goals every single night but don't let the facts get in the way of a good story...

He's talking about Howard's play since Christmas. Earlier in the season Howie had better GAA numbers. And well, that's just how averages work.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#14 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:43 PM

He's talking about Howard's play since Christmas. Earlier in the season Howie had better GAA numbers. And well, that's just how averages work.

This is the interwebz. You have to be credible in your posts. Posted Image

#15 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

Yeah he is lucky he is getting pulled :P

Last 5 starts he has been pulled 3 times. One great game with a win another game with a win but let in 4 goals. Then during a ten game stretch after his last SO his GAA was 3.2 during that ten game stretch.

Now like I've said in every goalie thread this year team defense has been atrocious. He is not playing lights out hockey like last year plus the fact that we are not just doing a good defensive job equals his GAA being high.

#16 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:36 PM

I'm not even excited about this, to be honest. I'm tired of getting my hopes up with Howard. When he strings together a couple of good wins I'll get back board. Honestly, stats-wise, MacDonald wasn't any worse than Howard has been, so this feels like a lateral move until he proves it isn't.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#17 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:56 PM

I'm not even excited about this, to be honest. I'm tired of getting my hopes up with Howard. When he strings together a couple of good wins I'll get back board. Honestly, stats-wise, MacDonald wasn't any worse than Howard has been, so this feels like a lateral move until he proves it isn't.

Sadly you're right. :(
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#18 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:09 PM

Yeah he is lucky he is getting pulled :P

Last 5 starts he has been pulled 3 times. One great game with a win another game with a win but let in 4 goals. Then during a ten game stretch after his last SO his GAA was 3.2 during that ten game stretch.

Now like I've said in every goalie thread this year team defense has been atrocious. He is not playing lights out hockey like last year plus the fact that we are not just doing a good defensive job equals his GAA being high.

Which 3 games did he get pulled? The colorado game, then he got hurt the next game, no? I only remember one time in the last few games he was pulled. The dive.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#19 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:17 PM

I really hope this is good news. IMO, Howard has been on a steady decline all year. I hope his short break will help him turn things around.
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#20 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:49 PM

I agree. give me some better news like the return of datsyuk :D