• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Nabokov claimed by NYI, refuses to report, suspended

Rate this topic

If this in any way turns into a situation where Nabokov is actually a Wing, what I'm hearing is that the Wings are not happy with Howard and he's unlikely to get much of a raise next year if even he returns at all. It would be a bit of a bulls*** move if you ask me. I know Jimmy hasn't been playing well this year, but I think that's largely due to mismanagement of his development over the last year. It just seems lame to set him up to fall apart and then to seemingly give up on him when he does indeed fall apart. It's one thing with Osgood as there's a relationship and support system installed already whereas it's clear that Nabokov would be coming in because we've got a mess on our hands right now. Even if it's just to try and push Howard, it just seems like a dumb move. Granted, who knows what's really going on, but something about this whole thing is fishy to me.

Slow down, bud. We're not there yet.

I really don't think the Wings are giving up on Howard yet at all. I really like Jimmy as a goalie, but after the last month plus and Osgood's injury, I'd be in the market for the next best option available for the playoffs/insurance. Which Nabby is.

Or team x trades with the Wings knowing they'll get him anyway and have better trade bait.

esteef

If that happened Nabby would be exposed to waivers again and likely to be claimed by another team. And this is all

only possible if he gets claimed by another team which I'm not sure will even happen. If a team claims Nabby they pretty much have to keep him on their team and give him a shot at being a starter, and I can't see many teams doing that. At the end of the day I think the chances of Nabby being with us are very good.

Edited by cjm502

Actually, I don't think the Wings are looking for circumvention. The conditions are rules are very specific and all the GM's know and understand the rules.

I think the points that we are overlooking here specifically was how the Wings structured the deal, and what Meehan publicly stated to all the of NHL teams.

The Wings specifically placed in a No Movement Clause so once a team acquires Nabokov, he cannot be moved, waived, traded, etc. without his approval. Additionally, he is ineligible for the AHL. So when a team makes a claim, they are stuck with him on their 23-man roster for the remainder of the season.

Additionally, Meehan specifically laid out of warning to all of the other NHL franchises and I'm sure his wording was very careful - "wants to compete as a starter".

So the question at this point would be, do you take a swing at a goaltender with the potential pitfalls:

1) You haven't seen him play in over 8 months

2) There is a chance he may not report at all if he disagrees with the situation

3) If claimed, he must be on the roster and we cannot move him at all

4) He explicitly states he expects to "compete with the starter" meaning, if we bury him in the press box he will be disgruntled and could prove to be a point of contention/distraction/etc.

The Wings did all they could contractually and politically to make him less attractive.

They waited till late Thursday night to shorten the claim period. They put in a No Move to prevent other teams from expelling or moving him off of the 23 man roster. The agent of the player made a veiled threat.

I'm not sure if this is the right course of action but it is apparent that it isn't as simple as "Someone will screw the Wings", because the run the risk of acquiring an asset they don't need and potentially bring in a unpredictable variable into the locker room. [/Quote]

^^^This sounds more on target. But IF we keep Nabby through Saturday, do we keep him for the rest of the season or does Kenny work on a good trade deal tailored to what Nabby wants and one that will benefit us greatly after Ozzie comes back and is healthy enough to play?

Edited by Miss Wing Queen

So... in this scenario, should we end up with Nabby, he simply gets waived if Ozzie gets healthy? That sounds like a no-lose situation especially with that cheap contract.

No, Nabokov stays on the roster. We would have 3 goalies for the playoffs.

"Actually, I don't think the Wings are looking for circumvention. The conditions are rules are very specific and all the GM's know and understand the rules.

I think the points that we are overlooking here specifically was how the Wings structured the deal, and what Meehan publicly stated to all the of NHL teams.

The Wings specifically placed in a No Movement Clause so once a team acquires Nabokov, he cannot be moved, waived, traded, etc. without his approval. Additionally, he is ineligible for the AHL. So when a team makes a claim, they are stuck with him on their 23-man roster for the remainder of the season.

Additionally, Meehan specifically laid out of warning to all of the other NHL franchises and I'm sure his wording was very careful - "wants to compete as a starter".

So the question at this point would be, do you take a swing at a goaltender with the potential pitfalls:

1) You haven't seen him play in over 8 months

2) There is a chance he may not report at all if he disagrees with the situation

3) If claimed, he must be on the roster and we cannot move him at all

4) He explicitly states he expects to "compete with the starter" meaning, if we bury him in the press box he will be disgruntled and could prove to be a point of contention/distraction/etc.

The Wings did all they could contractually and politically to make him less attractive.

They waited till late Thursday night to shorten the claim period. They put in a No Move to prevent other teams from expelling or moving him off of the 23 man roster. The agent of the player made a veiled threat.

I'm not sure if this is the right course of action but it is apparent that it isn't as simple as "Someone will screw the Wings", because they run the risk of acquiring an asset they don't need and potentially bringing in an unpredictable variable into the locker room.

"

esteef

Oh my. One of my favorite posts in awhile. Well said.

If that happened Nabby would be exposed to waivers again and likely to be claimed by another team. And this is all only possible if he gets claimed by another team which I'm not sure will even happen.

Detroit has first crack after the initial waiver claim. So either trade with the Wings or they get him once he hits waivers if the first team tries to move him. That's what I'm saying. The contract language has made the second waiver obsolete and damn near making the first claim useless as Nabby can just decline to go back to the wire.

esteef

Edited by esteef

If this in any way turns into a situation where Nabokov is actually a Wing, what I'm hearing is that the Wings are not happy with Howard and he's unlikely to get much of a raise next year if even he returns at all. It would be a bit of a bulls*** move if you ask me. I know Jimmy hasn't been playing well this year, but I think that's largely due to mismanagement of his development over the last year. It just seems lame to set him up to fall apart and then to seemingly give up on him when he does indeed fall apart. It's one thing with Osgood as there's a relationship and support system installed already whereas it's clear that Nabokov would be coming in because we've got a mess on our hands right now. Even if it's just to try and push Howard, it just seems like a dumb move. Granted, who knows what's really going on, but something about this whole thing is fishy to me.

Holland has stated that he likes Howard and Osgood, when healthy. This is not a knock on them. This is a depth move, which the Wings do all the time. People complain all the time why the Wings keep guys around forever. They want as much depth going into the playoffs as they can.

If that happened Nabby would be exposed to waivers again and likely to be claimed by another team. And this is all

only possible if he gets claimed by another team which I'm not sure will even happen. If a team claims Nabby they pretty much have to keep him on their team and give him a shot at being a starter, and I can't see many teams doing that. At the end of the day I think the chances of Nabby being with us are very good.

Pretty sure, if Nabby gets claimed, and that team tries to trade/waive him, we get first pick. So, even if NJ claims him, and then waive him, we're instantly #1 in the cue, before all the other crappy teams, like the islanders.

At least, that's what I took from the most recent report.

Detroit has first crack after the initial waiver claim. So either trade with the Wings or they get him once he hits waivers if the first team tries to move him. That's what I'm saying. The contract language hal made the second waiver obsolete and damn near making the first claim useless as Nabby can just decline to go back to the wire.

esteef

The problem is if another team tries trading him to us we don't get first crack at him and he could end up with another team who actually wants him but he originally got claimed before that team could claim him. Oh my, that's worded poorly. The only way we get first dibs is if he is traded to a team besides the wings. The only way I see us ending up with Nabby if he doesn't clear is the situation I posted a page back or so.

Guest mjtm77

Pretty sure, if Nabby gets claimed, and that team tries to trade/waive him, we get first pick. So, even if NJ claims him, and then waive him, we're instantly #1 in the cue, before all the other crappy teams, like the islanders.

At least, that's what I took from the most recent report.

from what i understand waiving him is a no. and tradeing him? he has a no movement clause.

The problem is if another team tries trading him to us we don't get first crack at him and he could end up with another team who actually wants him but he originally got claimed before that team could claim him. Oh my, that's worded poorly. The only way we get first dibs is if he is traded to a team besides the wings. The only way I see us ending up with Nabby if he doesn't clear is the situation I posted a page back or so.

That really makes no sense. We get first dibs on Nabby if he's traded to anyone else, but if he's traded to us, he goes back to waivers?

from what i understand waiving him is a no. and tradeing him? he has a no movement clause.

I'm pretty sure that a player can waive the no movement clause at any time, and he can be put on waivers IF he agrees to it.

Basically the Wings will get him if the first team doesn't keep him. Call it a trade, call it a waive, call it a burrito.

esteef

Basically the Wings will get him if the first team doesn't keep him. Call it a trade, call it a waive, call it a burrito.

esteef

Yeah, that's pretty much how it goes. It can get complicated but this is the simplest way to put it.

I'm not sure if this is the right course of action but it is apparent that it isn't as simple as "Someone will screw the Wings", because they run the risk of acquiring an asset they don't need and potentially bringing in an unpredictable variable into the locker room."

Sounds to me if a team claims him, the Wings screwed them! :P

That really makes no sense. We get first dibs on Nabby if he's traded to anyone else, but if he's traded to us, he goes back to waivers?

I'm pretty sure. It's stupid but rules are rules.

I wouldn't blame Jimmy for being upset, but I don't think this is because of him. I think, Ozzie is most likely done for the year.

With the no movement clause, I too am thinking Ozzie's season, and career, is over. If that's the case, thanks Ozzie :clap:! Next stop the Hall of Fame.