• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Nabokov claimed by NYI, refuses to report, suspended

Rate this topic

Slow down, bud. We're not there yet.

I really don't think the Wings are giving up on Howard yet at all. I really like Jimmy as a goalie, but after the last month plus and Osgood's injury, I'd be in the market for the next best option available for the playoffs/insurance. Which Nabby is.

I agree. This is nothing more than a replacement for Osgood, not throwing Howard out. The Wings like Howard, but they know we need a veteran presence in net. Nabakov is that veteran presence, not to mention he's a great goalie who can have a great season with a team like Detroit in front of him.

On top of that, it's only a 1 year deal, if Nabakov plays well he could price himself out of Detroit. Honestly, this signing as nothing to do with Howard, though I bet they're hoping Nabakov pushes Howard to be better. And, if Howard fails the test, he'll just play backup next year to Nabakov or some other goalie. And if he's terrible then, they move him. Nabakov would just be (initially) an insurance move, and then possibly later a replacement or a transitory move until the Wings find their real goalie of the future.

Howard's spot is secure so long as he plays like its his.

No matter what, there was a point to this. We just may not find out the actual one until this offseason.

What other players does Nabakov's agent represent? If we don't get him, maybe it was a favor to get Nabby back in in exchange for "most favored team" status in negotiating rights for another player? Or maybe it's just to get in good with Nabby for next season?

Pretty sure, if Nabby gets claimed, and that team tries to trade/waive him, we get first pick. So, even if NJ claims him, and then waive him, we're instantly #1 in the cue, before all the other crappy teams, like the islanders.

At least, that's what I took from the most recent report.

Not necessarily.

That only occurs, (if I'm not mistaken), if only ONE TEAM puts in a Claim.

If more than one Team puts in a Claim, and the original Team subsequently Waives him, (if he allows the waiver, that is...), then subsequent Teams get a crack at him, based on the order in which they put in their Claim.

....I think....

OK, here we go.....

Any team can claim Nabby and they do not have to even call the Wings.

Even to attempt to trade him is dumb, because it exposes him to the waiver you just claimed him from, ie. if you want to claim Nabby just to trade him, you can not.

The only way a team will pick him up is if they are before Detroit in the standings(nearly everyone), can afford the cap hit, and can displace a goalie from the team(minors or trade).

Detroit has the contract structured toxic, but teams like Atlanta, wide open on the cap, could pick him up and tell him to stay home, just to spite us, and all it would cost is a 1/4 million in money. So if owner or GM think they could beat us easier, they would do it, just to get an advantage.

Also, to make this even more fun, money would likely have to come off the book to keep Nabby if we got him.

Bottom line:

If Svatos and Wellwood got claimed, im thinking one of the top 4 goalies from last year will too.

No compensation for the Blues, and through history, haven't seen compensation for a waiver pickup.

Kenny got him in the league, and possibly a free contract(not sure if he gets paid to sit out, unless wings contract was garunteed money), Wings payoff for this will be on July 1st. Our payoff is we all understand a little more of the CBA.

Personally i thought the Wings played great tonight, maybe all this talk fired them up.

Edit to add:

Detroit does not get first chance at the re-claim, it is once again by standings meaning the team that just got Nabby would now not even have a chance at him. All this is moot with a NTC, he will stay with whatever team takes him for whatever reason, because he already warned everyone. This has worked before with Burke and the twins, but he only had to scare 1 team, we have 1 league who all think they are the Wings rivals.

Edited by Wingzman91

bottom line, Ken Holland is to smart to sign a guy just to see another team claim him. This is either greasing the wheels for a trade later on, or he plays for the islanders for a while and at the deadline gets waived back to Detroit.

But that would essentially be the Islanders doing Detroit a favor.

Something isn't adding up here. Either it's as simple as no team being able to take on Nabakov and his demands and out of fear of Holland, or else the crappy team that signs him and then waives him so the Wings can pick him up at the trade deadline needs to get something out of the deal.

And what happens if the other team doesn't waive him?

There's no reason for Holland to do this as a favor. 29 other teams could have brought Nabakov in. We get something out of this, and I have a feeling Nabakov will clear, but I'm an optimist.

To present an even more complicated scenario:

Holland didn't talk to teams to tell them not to take Nabakov, but instead Holland targeted the teams that would want him and be able to sign him, but would have to move a goalie (NJ), and convinced teams not to let them trade said goalie to make room for Nabakov...

Haha, it's like Conspiracy Theory.

@Ledger_NJDevils.

Devils may claimn goalie Evgeni Nabokov and then put him on waivers so Red Wings can claim him and complete their acquisition.

Unless another Team puts in a Claim.

Then their Claim would trump the Wings Claim.

Of course, this also assumes that Nabokov allows the Devs to place him on Waivers. Maybe Nabs is a bettin' man?

Edited by Outsider

Slow down, bud. We're not there yet.

I really don't think the Wings are giving up on Howard yet at all. I really like Jimmy as a goalie, but after the last month plus and Osgood's injury, I'd be in the market for the next best option available for the playoffs/insurance. Which Nabby is.

Right. I'm actually shocked that anyone here thinks the Wings have given up on Howard. He's only 26 and, despite a couple shaky months, is one of the best young goalies in the game. Ozzie's retiring after this year, Nabokov, at 35, is Osgood's replacement, Howard's going no where!

@Ledger_NJDevils.

Devils may claimn goalie Evgeni Nabokov and then put him on waivers so Red Wings can claim him and complete their acquisition.

So what will NJ get in return?

@Ledger_NJDevils.

If the Devils do this I will love them for the rest of the season, haha.

Right. I'm actually shocked that anyone here thinks the Wings have given up on Howard. He's only 26 and, despite a couple shaky months, is one of the best young goalies in the game. Ozzie's retiring after this year, Nabokov, at 35, is Osgood's replacement, Howard's going no where!

So what will NJ get in return?

Respect?

in no way shape or form any of this is a slight to Howie. I think its more of a sign that KH has given up on Macdonald and moreso, as insurance if Ozzie doesn't come back healthy.

They might get first dibs on Eaves or Miller or one of the other free agents the Wings will have.

The wings won't get rid of Eaves! If they keep Miller over Eaves, I'll be furious. And if I'm not mistaken, isn't the deal only for 1 year.

I hate this

I know there's no chance he will be a Wing but all the same I can't stop myself from constantly reading every new post on the subject in several forums and refreshing several twitter pages :(

Me, too. Reason tells me he won't go to the Wings. But my gut thinks he'll clear anyways, because I have so much faith that Holland wouldn't waste his time for nothing. It just seems too perfect for the Wings' situation right now for Holland to do it merely to get Nabby back in the league as a favor.

Two reasons why i think Nabby will be a Wing.

1) Nabby's agent has stated that he wants his client to battle for the starters job. If Nabby goes to a team where he'd be third string or outright second string, he probably won't report to training or the team. Now that team has a guy on their roster that will be taking up one of the spots and you can't get rid of him.

2) It's very stupid to burn bridges as a GM.

has anyone looked through nabbys agents clients and seen who is going to be a free agent at the end of the season?

The way i see it, if nabby doesnt end up a wing, his agent owes us a favor (because getting nabby back in the NHL is cash in his pocket as well) and could maybe convince a player he represents to to resign and come to the wings.

all that aside, i really dont see him becoming a wing.

I just don't understand why Nabby needs to go threw waivers. He left as a Free Agent, so isn't this just like signing a FA off the market?

Nabby needs to go through waivers because he started the season abroad. If he was a free agent until this point, he wouldn't have to.

I just don't understand why Nabby needs to go threw waivers. He left as a Free Agent, so isn't this just like signing a FA off the market?

What Konnan said :P

Edited by Wingzman91