• Please log in to reply
1581 replies to this topic

#541 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,941 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:10 PM

I don't think this has anything to do with Osgood in any way. He'll be in the same boat competing once he returns and if he wants to come back next season, it's essentially a given that he'll be signed as he'll be cheap and has shown he's already willing to take a back seat.

If Howard were to end up the backup or worse yet, the 3rd guy out, simply put, he's gone come the off-season.

And with some help from Babcock's goalie management (opinion), Howard played himself into this position. I don't think the alleged anti-Osgood slant came in to play, and I think Babcock has been better, though no perfect, this year in handling that angle. He's not stupid and you better believe he realized the mistake of letting a guy rot on the bench in the playoffs. It seems like Osgood and Babcock worked out there issues in general. Babcock's had plenty of praise for Osgood since training camp.

But he's injured now and Howard is letting in 3-4 goals a game on a regular basis. That's the angle here. I'm not saying I like it and I still really would like to keep it to Osgood and Howard as I think Howard will be fine if given some more space and time to develop with Osgood carrying more weight.

I wouldn't have made this move unless I knew something that we simply don't. We're 2nd in the West and finding ways to win games despite missing a lot of guys. We just need to hang in there until Osgood's back and then let the situation between he and Osgood play out to determine who will be the tentative playoff starter and the ready backup.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#542 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,935 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:13 PM

why get my hopes up holland

#543 Outsider

Outsider

Quitcha B*tchin' Wings Fans.....

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:21 PM

I don't think you're off base it would just be nice to see a confirmation. It's funny 30 teams weren't interested, suddenly the Wings are interested and 5-10 other teams think it's a great idea!

30 Teams weren't interested at a potential $4-$6M pricetag.

At $250K? Different story, perhaps.

#544 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:24 PM

30 Teams weren't interested at a potential $4-$6M pricetag.

At $250K? Different story, perhaps.

So get off your ass and negotiate... No one said he had to sign a 4-6 millions dollar contract. I am pretty sure an open letter to 30 teams means your willing to work within a budget for a job.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#545 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:30 PM

Even if there is some of sort of deal going on behind the scenes that would secure Nabby in a Wings jersey I doubt anybody would be willing to admit it.

#546 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:32 PM

Even if there is some of sort of deal going on behind the scenes that would secure Nabby in a Wings jersey I doubt anybody would be willing to admit it.

Exactly.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#547 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:43 PM

There isn't a deal lol read the CBA.

There's a nice piece that Mckenzie wrote on TSN explaining the process. Not possible.

Posted Image

#548 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:49 PM

I will have to wait another 13hrs or so until I find the answer... Not expecting much. I think I will drink and wake up at about 11:30.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#549 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:56 PM

^^^^ right it's not about Howard vs Osgood vs Nabakov. It's adding a piece the the puzzle that can help the team.

#550 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:57 PM

Yeah I read that McKenzie article. At the same time, I'm still quite baffled as to why Kenny would do this whole thing to begin with. There's gotta be a good reason that perhaps we don't see yet, which is what I meant by "deal behind the scenes." Perhaps as far as we know, Kenny is just moving his pawns to the center of the chess board.

#551 IceMunkee

IceMunkee

Gangster-ish

• HoF Booster
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:59 PM

From what I gather since my last post in this thread is we are all wondering the source of him being claimed? Oh and Osgood parted the red sea and Howard can jump in water and never get a drop of water on him...
www.thedscene.com
@Gay4Datsyuk
Check It Out!

#552 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

Maybe this has all just been Holland's week for training and he chose "How to Draft a Waiver Claim Letter" as his topic.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#553 IceMunkee

IceMunkee

Gangster-ish

• HoF Booster
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

Yeah I read that McKenzie article. At the same time, I'm still quite baffled as to why Kenny would do this whole thing to begin with. There's gotta be a good reason that perhaps we don't see yet, which is what I meant by "deal behind the scenes." Perhaps as far as we know, Kenny is just moving his pawns to the center of the chess board.

There is no deal behind the scenes. It can't be. Kenny did it because he wanted to get a great goaltender in and probably knew that it was unlikely that once his name was brought in some other GM would jump on him. There are no pawns on this one. Sucks but true I think.
www.thedscene.com
@Gay4Datsyuk
Check It Out!

#554 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:03 PM

I think it's just wondering, as previous poster said these threads always seem to be goalie bs goalie. I don't know why, I am happy to have Nabby, it's not about who is better or worse. Hopefully he clears, although I am doubtful.

#555 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:06 PM

I think Kenny is just trying to get a back up goalie without giving having to trade away anything.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#556 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:11 PM

It could just be Holland taking a no-risk move to getting another goaltender in the possibility that Osgood is done for the season.

Posted Image

#557 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,060 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:14 PM

This thread is about Nabokov - please keep it to that particular subject. No beers, no goalie wars, and if you "report" someone has made a claim, please cite a source.
I'd hate to have to pull this thread, but I will if I have to delete another 3 pages of irrelevant posts.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#558 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,420 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:14 PM

It could just be Holland taking a no-risk move to getting another goaltender in the possibility that Osgood is done for the season.

This.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#559 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:17 PM

He could also be getting Nabokov some action for next year and sign him in the off-season for cheap once Ozzie retires.

Atleast i'm hoping. I think it's quite safe to say, Nabokov won't be a Red Wings tomorrow.

Posted Image

#560 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:21 PM

The only person I see reporting anything on a team making a claim is Eklund and he is about as trustworthy as a politician.

Based on what I am told by three sources....the Sharks WILL put a claim on Nabokov....the plot thickens...

Twitter

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)