• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

2/2 GDT: Franzen 5 + Red Wings 2 (7) at Senators (5)

Rate this topic

The collective defense of this team has been awful for most of this season. Nobody on the roster gets a free pass on that point. The defense corps is especially bad, but they've been masking their defensive deficiencies with offensive production. Not a single defenseman on this team, including Lidstrom, is getting it done. And Howard is just not the same goaltender he was last year so the team is not able to keep the puck out of its net.

Yep. It's been bad the last few years. It was just less noticeable last year because Howard was playing like a man possessed. Team defense has been a joke since the coaching change. Maybe he's got nothing to do with this problem at all, but you simply can't ignore the correlation at this point.

What's really scary though is that if this defense played half as well as they're capable of, who would be a sure bet to beat us on any given day? Anyone? Bear in mind, we're still one of the top teams in the league, defensive issues and all.

If it's not apparant yet, McCrimmon is a problem. And getting Datsyuk and Stuart will not solve the problem, it's scheme. And our defensive scheme is... awful.

And I've been saying it for the past two years. Normally, I'm glad that the Wings organization doesn't pay attention to my irrational rantings...but this is one case where I wish they'd get their heads out of their collective asses. I mean, does McCrimmon have dirt on Holland or something?

AND, everytime we shoot there's 2-3 Sens in front of their net...nobody in a Winged Wheel going to the net. WTF? :!:

If a Wings player shoots the puck in front of a crowd, it gets deflected. If an opposition player shoots the puck in front of a crowd, it bounces off of half the state of Michigan, Babcock's hair, and Murphy's hot dog before ending up in the net <_< .

Yep. It's been bad the last few years. It was just less noticeable last year because Howard was playing like a man possessed. Team defense has been a joke since the coaching change. Maybe he's got nothing to do with this problem at all, but you simply can't ignore the correlation at this point.

What's really scary though is that if this defense played half as well as they're capable of, who would be a sure bet to beat us on any given day? Anyone? Bear in mind, we're still one of the top teams in the league, defensive issues and all.

yeah, I'm just hoping they are pulling the pistons of a few years ago. Where they don't play until they need to and will turn it up in the playoffs. Right now they seem like they don't want to do any sort of phsyical work, defense, checking, driving to the net, etc.

AND, everytime we shoot there's 2-3 Sens in front of their net...nobody in a Winged Wheel going to the net. WTF? exclamation.gif

Problem the entire year, as far as I'm concerned. No one's willing to do it except Holmstrom, and he's getting too slow. All the backhand attempts from bad angles are starting to make me nauseous.

Honestly, our D has been bad since we won the cup couple years back. No matter who is back there it just seems like everyone is standing around, not skating and not picking up coverage either. I really feel bad for the Wings goalies. They seem to be trying, but get hung out to dry by the D every single night.

Thank god we are talented enough to put the puck in the other teams net pretty often.

yeah, I'm just hoping they are pulling the pistons of a few years ago. Where they don't play until they need to and will turn it up in the playoffs.

Yeah that was during the Flip Saunders era where they didn't win more than two games in the conference finals for like three years. I wouldn't call that a good strategy.

Fire McCrimmon.

It's gotten to the point this season where I give the goalie, whether it's Howie, Mr 400 or MacDonald, 4 freebies. If they give up any more goals after the 4, then I would start getting critical of the goalie unless the goalie was just playing really bad (and Howie's not playing bad, he's just not getting the support that he needs).

Fire McCrimmon.

yeah, I'm just hoping they are pulling the pistons of a few years ago. Where they don't play until they need to and will turn it up in the playoffs. Right now they seem like they don't want to do any sort of phsyical work, defense, checking, driving to the net, etc.

This is true. The one catch is that this is an older team and when the guys play physical, they tend to get hurt and heal slowly. Blocked shots end up turning into broken bones and such. The age of the roster is a contributing factor to some of that; bones get more brittle as the years go by. If the team's strategy is to save the physical play for do-o-die time in the playoffs, I guess it's an approach that can't be completely discounted.