• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Canucks Dman Andrew Alberts out indefinitely

Rate this topic

Still see 0 Cups in Vancouver. Scary scary team but they strike fear into no one once playoffs roll around. Being owned by 1 team in 2 consecutive seasons proves against every single little tidbit you have presented. This season we shall see what the Nucks can do to prove otherwise.

NHL teams are not static entities where a long record of not winning any cups has any effect on a current team. Chicago last year is a good example. In addition, in the last two and a half years Mike Gillis has totally revamped the culture of the Canucks.

Speaking of Chicago, there were simply a better team last year, particularly when the injuries to the Canucks blueline are taken into account. Our defence was as decimated by game 6 last year as it is right now. I know though, that's a little comical considering the current state of affairs of the Canucks defence. As I said above though - most, if not all should be back for the playoffs. But I digress, the Canucks are simply a much improved team this year over last.

Your final sentence is impossible to argue with though.

Well the Sedins weren't even the leading scorer for the Nucks last playoffs.. And big deal one playoff they show up.. Nucks are winning the cup :rolleyes:

Did you just zone on what I said here?

If averaging more than a point per game each of the last two playoffs is not showing up, you're right.

That's two years - 4 series.

The Sedin's bump in playoff production has coincided with their rise to the upper levels of play during the NHL regular season.

But your point about them not being the leading scorer is well-taken. Hell, neither of them are even the leading goal scorer on the Canucks at the present time. Anyone who follows the Canucks who sees that as a bad thing and doesn't recognize that as pretty good depth is out of his mind. Simply put, the Canucks are deeper than any other team in the league, current injuries not withstanding.

Playing defense for the Canucks is right there with playing drums for Spinal Tap.

And we've already passed 11.

Edited by Chairman Maouth

NHL teams are not static entities where a long record of not winning any cups has any effect on a current team. Chicago last year is a good example. In addition, in the last two and a half years Mike Gillis has totally revamped the culture of the Canucks.

Speaking of Chicago, there were simply a better team last year, particularly when the injuries to the Canucks blueline are taken into account. Our defence was as decimated by game 6 last year as it is right now. I know though, that's a little comical considering the current state of affairs of the Canucks defence. As I said above though - most, if not all should be back for the playoffs. But I digress, the Canucks are simply a much improved team this year over last.

If averaging more than a point per game each of the last two playoffs is not showing up, you're right.

The Sedin's bump in playoff production has coincided with their rise to the upper levels of play during the NHL regular season.

But your point about them not being the leading scorer is well-taken. Hell, neither of them are even the leading goal scorer on the Canucks at the present time. Anyone who follows the Canucks who sees that as a bad thing and doesn't recognize that as pretty good depth is out of his mind. Simply put, the Canucks are deeper than any other team in the league, current injuries not withstanding.

Isn't D. Seding leading the Canucks in scoring?

Isn't D. Seding leading the Canucks in scoring?

Yes he's one point behind Stamkos with 73 points -- but if you notice in the part that you highlighted that I said goal scoring. Kesler leads the Canucks in goals with 33.

Yes he's one point behind Stamkos with 73 points -- but if you notice in the part that you highlighted that I said goal scoring. Kesler leads the Canucks in goals with 33.

Ahh my mistake, I misread that. Thanks for clearing it up with me :thumbup:

Suggesting that a team is offensively challenged when it leads the league in goals scored is like telling someone who doesn't know any better that Yao Ming is "not a midget".

And I assume you're talking about the Sedins and Kesler? Burrows has started scoring a great deal more and is currently on the NHL's longest point streak, Sammy (you remember him) is also hot with something like 16 points in his last 9 games. Mason Raymond is also racking up the points.

The Canucks also lead the league in GF/GA differential by a fairly wide margin and have the best powerplay in the league. Again, suggesting that the Canucks are offensively challenged borders on the ludicrous.

The offense of the Canucks is the least of our worries. With the current injuries we have on defence we are undoubtedly going to take a hit in the standings. Before last nights game we were also first in goals against but that is pretty obviously going to take a hit in the near future. I don't really care if the Wings pass us -- all I really care about is that we have our injured defencemen back in time for the playoffs. They are expected to all return, and if the stars align and they do, we will ice our best defence lineup all year at the perfect time. If we can improve on a defence that has already led the league in GA this year, then the Canucks will be formidable in the playoffs.

As for Luongo, he's played 6 playoff series in three separate years and has a 2.55 GAA and a .919 save percentage. Very respectable numbers. And that's not to mention the fact that he's having his best year since 2007 when he was the only reason the offensively challenged Canucks made it two rounds deep into the playoffs in the first place.

I did not say that Vancouver was "offensively challenged". I said that they depended on 3 guys for a high percentage of their scoring. Take the 3 guys with the most points- add up the points and divide this by the total number of points for the team and you will see that 40% of the points come from these 3 guys.

They are still scoring a lot of goals but the playoffs are a much different story. EVERYBODY's goal scoring goes down in the playoffs. For a team that depends too heavily on a few guys for their scoring this is a problem. In the playoffs, the defense on all teams will tighten up and if teams like Vancouver have their big guns shut down, they will struggle.

As far as Lou, he's never played in more than 12 playoff games so it's hard to tell how he would do on a long run. His save % has been all over the map

2007 .941

2009 .914

2010 .895

I guess you could average them together and conclude that he has been "respectable" but an .895 save percentage in his latest playoffs is a cause for concern.

OK. You have identified yourself as a total Homer. Simply put, show me the evidence that the Canucks are "deeper than any other team in the league"

This is a ridiculous thing to throw out there with no evidence. As I stated earlier, the points (goals and assists) are more evenly distributed on other teams (including the Wings) so please explain how the Canucks are "deeper".

that's what I thought

OK. You have identified yourself as a total Homer. Simply put, show me the evidence that the Canucks are "deeper than any other team in the league"

This is a ridiculous thing to throw out there with no evidence. As I stated earlier, the points (goals and assists) are more evenly distributed on other teams (including the Wings) so please explain how the Canucks are "deeper".

There are 5 Canucks in 11 positions in 8 categories in the top 5 of NHL stats. In contrast, the next closest team (Anaheim), has 3 players in 5 positions followed by Tampa with two players in 4 positions. The Canucks occupy more of the popular NHL stats than the second and third teams combined. If you want to make it exact you can add Detroit to Anaheim and Tampa and that will match the Canucks.

In addition, all three of the major team disciplines are represented: offence, defence, and goaltending. If that's not indicative of a dominating and deep team I don't know what is.

The "evidence":

statsdr.jpg

Okay, I'll play.

You've show evidence that the canuck's 1st line is one of the best in hockey. Do tell me what happens when that first line gets shut down?

Oh wait I remember,...the 2008 stanley cup finals.

Now before you're a smart ass and say that in 09 they beat us, you would be correct.

But you'd also be ignoring that our team wasn't 100% and the penguins had scoring depth from guys like Talbot and Kennedy.

Who else besides the twins and Kesler is going to score those hard goals when your top line is being shadowed by the other teams top forwards? Jeff Tambolini? Don't make me laugh.

I'd worry about how y'all are going to replace that decimated D corps for the "cup run" before you go sprouting off at the mouth about how you're the chosen ones.

It is entirely probable that you guys will win the cup. It's also just as probable for any other team out there to do the same thing if they make the playoffs.

My problem is suddenly your fans are bragging about a cup that's "in the bag" when you've got some serious issues mentally from your goalie the past two playoffs and a team that has shown only one sustained line of offensive pressure.

Okay, I'll play.

You've show evidence that the canuck's 1st line is one of the best in hockey. Do tell me what happens when that first line gets shut down?

Oh wait I remember,...the 2008 stanley cup finals.

Now before you're a smart ass and say that in 09 they beat us, you would be correct.

But you'd also be ignoring that our team wasn't 100% and the penguins had scoring depth from guys like Talbot and Kennedy.

Who else besides the twins and Kesler is going to score those hard goals when your top line is being shadowed by the other teams top forwards? Jeff Tambolini? Don't make me laugh.

I'd worry about how y'all are going to replace that decimated D corps for the "cup run" before you go sprouting off at the mouth about how you're the chosen ones.

It is entirely probable that you guys will win the cup. It's also just as probable for any other team out there to do the same thing if they make the playoffs.

My problem is suddenly your fans are bragging about a cup that's "in the bag" when you've got some serious issues mentally from your goalie the past two playoffs and a team that has shown only one sustained line of offensive pressure.

Canucks do have secondary scoring.

Luongo/Schneider will be fine.

Hopefully the D will all be back in time.

I think you meant "possible", not probable. I don't think the Canucks probably will win the cup. Odds are against any one team winning when the playoffs start. I do think they've got a shot though.

I don't recall anywhere that I said we are the "chosen ones" or anything like that.

I'm very busy today. Sorry I couldn't elaborate more.

So this is a "hate on the Canucks thread because we eel threatend" thread? This guy made the assertion that their team is the deepest in the league. You can't definitively say that's not true because you could actually argue they are, just look at their defense. Unless you can refute his statement with out saying "Dude you're a homer, but I am not going to offer up who I think are deeper", then no need to call him out on it.

Canucks, Red Wings, Philly are probably the three deepest, most talented team in the league. Coincidentally, they are also the 3 favorites to win the cup. Canucks probably have the deepest organizational depth at defense. Wings probably have deepest forward depth in the league and Philly probably has the deepest overall depth.

So this is a "hate on the Canucks thread because we eel threatend" thread? This guy made the assertion that their team is the deepest in the league. You can't definitively say that's not true because you could actually argue they are, just look at their defense. Unless you can refute his statement with out saying "Dude you're a homer, but I am not going to offer up who I think are deeper", then no need to call him out on it.

Canucks, Red Wings, Philly are probably the three deepest, most talented team in the league. Coincidentally, they are also the 3 favorites to win the cup. Canucks probably have the deepest organizational depth at defense. Wings probably have deepest forward depth in the league and Philly probably has the deepest overall depth.

As you recognized, I was referring to what we know at this point, not what we're speculating on when it comes to the playoffs. I think I backed up my assertion that the Canucks are very deep fairly well up above.

And your point about the Canucks, Wings and Flyers -- I couldn't agree with more. I just heard on the radio that the Canucks are the number one favourite to win the cup in Las Vegas, but I don't agree. I can't honestly pick a favourite over the Canucks, Wings and Flyers. Anaheim is beginning to scare me a little too. The Canucks and Flyers are currently the two strongest teams in the NHL, but the Wings can never be counted out. Any team with Holland at the helm, Babcock in the middle and Lindstrom on the back end deserves a great deal of respect; not to mention their history of being able to bring the cup home. For that reason I give the Wings just as much chance as the Canucks or the Flyers.

There goes that consonant again, sneaking into places he doesn't belong. N! What did I tell you, boy?! You don't belong in the middle of that name! Now get on outta here before I call the sheriff and have you locked away!

We have too many Euros on our team. We need more North American names where everyone can spell them. Damn those Filpullas and Lindstroms. Curse that Zattaberg and Federov. Homstrom, get out of here. It's going to be a ***** when Pullkkinnen and Jarnkrock get over here. Thank God we have Smith in the minors, that's a good old North American name right there, easy to spell.

ept_sports_nhl_experts-590970557-1213363621.jpg?ymzTWrADmUgDfUT4