• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:04 PM

Even though it worked in our favor tonight, the NHL's new 'catch-up' post-season officiating is complete and total b.s. It's pretty f-ing clear to me that Bettman's given his officials an agenda this post-season, with the goal seemingly being to take as many series as possible to seven games, and to take as many games as possible to OT.

I hadn't seen a thread on this since the post-season started (if there was, my apologies), so I wanted to see if I was alone here (...as a paranoid conspiracy theorist), or if this was obvious to everyone!?

#2 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:13 PM

No amount of legit calls that we got tonight will make up for the refs handing game 1 to the sharks.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#3 maltbymaniac

maltbymaniac

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:22 PM

flat out sickens me.gladim not the only 1 who thinks this.

sig by saran,Thanks

#4 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:55 PM

I don't like when it happens to other team... Now they give some life to the Red Wings. I don't like it too.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#5 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:02 PM

The league has been steadily becoming more of a joke since the lockout. Wings should sign this guy:

Posted Image

#6 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:55 PM

its sad. i mean, i get it from a business perspective. if the pistons and the spurs meet in the nba finals, the nba probably misses out on about 50mil that it could have gotten if kobe and lebron had met in the finals instead. it makes sense. but it sucks. and it's becoming more and more prevalent in all professional sports.

i don't have this link right now (i could get it if it's wanted)...but former pistons owner bill davidson was doing an interview with mitch albom in the last year of his life...and mitch albom asked him what he thought about tim donaghy situation - the nba official who got busted by the FBI for betting on games he officiated - and davidson responded, "that's just the tip of the iceberg with referees."

for those that don't remember, donaghy later told FBI agents that he and other officials (whom he referred to as 'company men') had fixed games at David Stern's request...including game six of the 2002 western conference finals between the LA Lakers and Sacramento Kings. if you saw that game live, it was blatantly obvious. if you didn't, the lakers attempted 18 more free throws than the kings...IN THE FOURTH QUARTER alone.

and this nba talk is important because...of course, david stern is the man that taught gary bettman how to run a league. you think that bettman's above cheating to promote marketable north american stars (like crosby, toews and kane)? you think he's above cheating to create highly rated game sevens and overtime situations? hell no.

rasheed wallace - who, as you may not know, was voted by nba coaches as the smartest player in the league several times - used to refer to the NBA as the WWNBA (as in WWF/fake/predetermined). well, hockey's certainly becoming the WWNHL. it's a shame, but this is what professional sports is increasingly becoming. money & marketing talks. fariness & integrity walks. and it also happens to some degree in college football and basketball. the only sports that are pure anymore are the ones that don't make money.

...in a DREAM WORLD, wouldn't it be nice if the officials of all the major sports formed their own unions, and answered to their own bosses instead of obviously biased league managers?

Edited by blueadams, 07 May 2011 - 12:08 AM.

#7 Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

First Line Center

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:02 AM

The league has been steadily becoming more of a joke since the lockout. Wings should sign this guy:

Posted Image

I approve of this acquisition, we need more Macho Man

Posted Image

#8 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:07 AM

LOL, you guys are nuts. If the whole thing really is rigged, then they are failing pretty miserably seeing as it looks like most if not all the series are going to be done in five games. Boston had 5 PP's to Flyers 3 today, and the numbers were the same in the last TB/Wash game with TB getting the edge 5 to 3.

#9 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:51 AM

LOL, you guys are nuts. If the whole thing really is rigged, then they are failing pretty miserably seeing as it looks like most if not all the series are going to be done in five games. Boston had 5 PP's to Flyers 3 today, and the numbers were the same in the last TB/Wash game with TB getting the edge 5 to 3.

they are not dumb to bias in favor of a team that is clearly loosing a series. Detroit and San Jose are not that far way from each other compared to the current Flyers and Bruins. Moreover, you cannot always control a game as one team could be head and shoulders better and may overcome even biased officiating. Finally, amount of PP is not that important compared to their timing. You usually easily kill a PP early in the first period. Much more complicated to kill it during the second period when you have long shifts (Detroit had 3 PPs today). Even more in the 3rd. Todays game was given to us and I'm not fine with this.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#10 stevieisthebest

stevieisthebest

The Captain

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:10 AM

Even though it worked in our favor tonight, the NHL's new 'catch-up' post-season officiating is complete and total b.s. It's pretty f-ing clear to me that Bettman's given his officials an agenda this post-season, with the goal seemingly being to take as many series as possible to seven games, and to take as many games as possible to OT.

I hadn't seen a thread on this since the post-season started (if there was, my apologies), so I wanted to see if I was alone here (...as a paranoid conspiracy theorist), or if this was obvious to everyone!?

Yeah... makes sense considering all the game 7's in round two... 2 sweeps out east, and possibly two series ending in 5 games in the west. Take off your tin foil hat and enjoy the best sport on earth. Damn this is getting ridiculous.
"15,395 Days since they won the cup...3 seconds left, THE DETROiT RED WINGS ARE THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!"

"Lemiuex was hammered by Darren McCarty, and he is being helped into the locker room."

Thanks Steve! #19
Thanks Nick! #5

#11 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:14 AM

Match fixing in a proffesional sports league? That'll never happen
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#12 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:35 AM

My wife says the same things. She says things are staged in the NHL to help 'push' teams they think will bring the most money. To this day I believe the Sharks were handed the series last year against the Wings. People (fans) were sick of seeing the same team in the Finals year after year after year... meaning there was little for the NHL to gain from allowing Detroit to advance to the WCF yet again...

If this series makes it to 6, expect us to lose on a bad penalty or 5 on 3.

#13 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:52 AM

ROFL @ the conspiracy theories. Pathetic.

#14 Redwings 1926

Redwings 1926

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:05 AM

As for the "catch-up officiating"? That seems to have been going on for years. They will penalize Team A, miss something obvious on account of Team B, but look for something to get Team B for to "set things right".

People have been complaining about that for decades, nothing new imho.

#15 Redwings 1926

Redwings 1926

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:16 AM

My wife says the same things. She says things are staged in the NHL to help 'push' teams they think will bring the most money. To this day I believe the Sharks were handed the series last year against the Wings. People (fans) were sick of seeing the same team in the Finals year after year after year... meaning there was little for the NHL to gain from allowing Detroit to advance to the WCF yet again...

If this series makes it to 6, expect us to lose on a bad penalty or 5 on 3.

We did not deserve to beat San Jose. The funny thing about conspiracy theories is that every fan of every NHL team thinks the league and Gary Bettman are somehow conspiring against them. Even Penguins fans think the league has it out for them.

The NHL tends to enjoy better ratings when teams in larger, more traditional markets are successful. With that said, if the league really wanted to control the outcomes of games and playoff series, teams such as Nashville, Vancouver, Tampa Bay, and San Jose would be screwed, not us.

#16 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:40 AM

Evening up calls has been happening for as long as I can remember. And probably even before that. I remember a young coach from a new St.Louis team that used to be in the refs ear with every call against his team. Always reminding the ref that he owed them one. I wonder what ever happened to that guy?

#17 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:55 AM

Ever notice that threads on bad officiating exist or have existed at one time on every hockey message board ever created? Fans from all teams have at one point or another felt hard done by.

Clearly the officiating is wildly inconsistent and often terrible, but it is NOT a conspiracy. There is no agenda.

Just my opinion. I have said it before but I don't understand how someone can follow a league if they truly think there is a significant bias towards certain teams.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#18 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 05:20 AM

Just my opinion. I have said it before but I don't understand how someone can follow a league if they truly think there is a significant bias towards certain teams.

there is no bias towards Detroit exclusively. They are just making business decisions that sometimes coincide with Team A winning and Team B loosing. We were successful for approximately two decades, we have strong fan base, our generation of Red Wings fans will never switch off TVs, etc. So why should we continue winning from a business point of view? They will not generate any additional profit if we'll make SCF of WCF again as we already bought all the merchandise they generated. Our market is already saturated. Teams like Boston and San Jose are a different question.

Getting back to your question. Yes, there is no reason to watch Red Wings next 5-7 years. Perhaps, even more. Still we are fans and more importantly fans of hockey. I'll watch this year's finals featuring San Jose and Boston. Moreover, both teams more or less deserve it. It is not like we are going to have Pens there again.

Edited by RusDRW, 07 May 2011 - 05:23 AM.

© mikah

#19 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:10 AM

there is no bias towards Detroit exclusively. They are just making business decisions that sometimes coincide with Team A winning and Team B loosing. We were successful for approximately two decades, we have strong fan base, our generation of Red Wings fans will never switch off TVs, etc. So why should we continue winning from a business point of view? They will not generate any additional profit if we'll make SCF of WCF again as we already bought all the merchandise they generated. Our market is already saturated. Teams like Boston and San Jose are a different question.

Getting back to your question. Yes, there is no reason to watch Red Wings next 5-7 years. Perhaps, even more. Still we are fans and more importantly fans of hockey. I'll watch this year's finals featuring San Jose and Boston. Moreover, both teams more or less deserve it. It is not like we are going to have Pens there again.

In my opinion, I do not think the officiating is in anyway influenced by financial decisions. In fact if it were, surely Detroit would make it to the SCF every year? The ratings on those games will be far better than finals featuring Columbus/Phoenix/Nashville/Florida/Tampa etc. Sure, their might be some growth in the smaller markets if their successful but it won't be anything on the revenue generated by any of the original six teams for example.

Business decisions aren't just financial ones, the NHL is a business built on a game of sport. If they are making decisions which undermine the integrity of the game itself, then that would be the worst business decision they could possibly make.

You're point about being a fan of hockey is a good one, however do you really believe there is no reason to watch the wings for a few years? Seems crazy to me.

Edited by crotty99, 07 May 2011 - 06:12 AM.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#20 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:09 AM

ROFL @ the conspiracy theories. Pathetic.

Actually, I think there's a very, very good chance that a empirical study of when penalties are called and to which team would show that within the 3rd period way more are called against the winning team. This would prove the "catch-up" rule.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.