• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Simple off-season post

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

OFF-SEASON:

*It sounds like the salary cap is going to increase 1.1 to 4.1m (I'll air on the side of caution, for now)...+1.1m...+1.1m total salary cap space.

#1) Modano(1.8m, *FA*)...+1.8m...+2.9m total salary cap space.

#2) Draper(1.6m, *FA*)...+1.6m...+4.5m total salary cap space.

#3) Eaves(0.8m, *FA*)...+0.8m...+5.3m total salary cap space.

#4) Miller(0.7m, *FA*)...+0.7m...+6.0m total salary cap space.

#5) Lidstrom(6.2m, *FA*)...+6.2m...+12.2m total salary cap space.

#6) Rafalski(6.0m, 1yr)...+6.0m...+18.2m total salary cap space.

#7) Salei(1.1m, *FA*)...+1.1m...+19.3m total salary cap space.

#8) Ericsson(0.9m, *FA*)...+0.9m...+20.2m total salary cap space.

#9) Osgood(1.4m, *FA*)...+1.4m...+21.6m total salary cap space.

#10) MacDonald(0.6m, *FA*)...+0.6m...+22.2m total salary cap space.

#1) Howard(2.3m, 2yrs)...His raise kicks in...-1.6m...20.6m total salary cap space.

#2) Mursak(0.6m, 2yrs)...He's going to be added to the roster...-0.6m...20.0m total salary cap space.

#3) Janik(0.5m, 1yr)...He's going to be added to the roster...-0.5m...19.5m total salary cap space.

#4) Lidstrom(6.2m-ish, ?)...He's probably going to be brought back at around the same price (maybe less now that Rafalski's gone?)...-6.2m...13.3m total salary cap space.

#5) Backup goalie?(0.5m-ish, ?)...I don't know who the backup goalie's going to be (Osgood/MacDonald/Larsson), but he should be making around league minimum...-0.5m-ish...12.8m total salary cap space.

...So, there's going to be about 12.8m available in salary cap space (maybe as much as 15.8m if the cap goes up 4.1m), and four players left to sign - two forwards and two defensemen. This is where things get interesting, and where the speculation begins:

FWIW, here's my prediction: #1) I think that Ericsson gets 3-4m/season from a stupid team, leaves, and is replaced by a high-profile free agent (like Bieksa?). #2) I think that Brendan Smith makes the team. #3/#4) I think that the remaining cap space - about 8m - is spent on upgrades for Eaves and Miller.

Edited by blueadams

Filppula - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Franzen - Zetterberg - Bertuzzi

Cleary - Helm - Eaves

Abdelkader - Emmerton - Mursak

(Axelsson/Miller)

Lidstrom - Ericsson

Kronwall - Kindl

Stuart - Rafalski

(Salei, Pyett, I don't care)

Howard

Osgood/Larsson

:thumbup:

Edited by Aussie_Wing

Cleary - Helm - Eaves

(Axelsson/Miller)

Lidstrom - Ericsson

Kronwall - Kindl

Stuart - Rafalski

Howard

Osgood/Larsson

Let's seriously hope not.... I mean, no offense.

Guest blueadams

Cleary - Helm - Eaves

(Axelsson/Miller)

Lidstrom - Ericsson

Kronwall - Kindl

Stuart - Rafalski

Howard

Osgood/Larsson

I'm sure that Babcock will bring back the exact same team next season and leave all that available cap space to rot..

...I guess this is as good a time as any to bring this up - I think that having bad skaters with limited all-around offensive skills (homer, bert) on our first two lines as "net-front presences" is really starting to hurt us. I'd like to see us roll on our top six all-around offensive players on our top two lines (pav, hank, mule, flip, huds, and a new acquisition). I'd like to see a really good defensive line with some grit and scoring potential as our third line (helm, cleary, and a new acquisition). And I'd like to see us bury our trash (bert, homer) on the fourth line...save homer for the PP.

Cleary - Helm - Eaves

(Axelsson/Miller)

Lidstrom - Ericsson

Kronwall - Kindl

Stuart - Rafalski

Howard

Osgood/Larsson

We would have a lot of cap space if we had that lineup

Let's seriously hope not.... I mean, no offense.

What would you change?

The way I see it, we 'suck it up' for one more season, then when Bert, Homer and Rafalski are gone, that's when we see noticable changes, more youth, some FA signings.

We would have a lot of cap space if we had that lineup

With that line-up, roughly $7 mil. Spend as you please.

What would you change?

Ericsson MUST go... There is no mistake about it. I won't lose sleep over it as I know we most likely will re-sign him but he is super replaceable. Mursak is an exciting part to this team next year though. We have to get better defensive depth.

I doubt the cap goes up that high. I just posted this line up in another thread and this isn't my dream line up but it's part what I think will happen and a signing I would love to see with the extra money left:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Johan Franzen ($3.954m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m)

Drew Miller ($0.750m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.850m)

Kris Draper ($0.750m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.000m)

Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($1.500m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Evgeni Nabokov ($0.570m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $62,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,778,711; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $421,288

Cleary - Helm - Eaves

(Axelsson/Miller)

Lidstrom - Ericsson

Kronwall - Kindl

Stuart - Rafalski

Howard

Osgood/Larsson

Well...we'd make the playoffs with that roster, but I don't see us getting out of the first round with it. Emmerton is a scratch forward, I don't think he is capable of playing night in and night out. But at least we'd have a buttload of cap space come the trade deadline.

I'm sure that Babcock will bring back the exact same team next season and leave all that available cap space to rot..

...I guess this is as good a time as any to bring this up - I think that having bad skaters with limited all-around offensive skills (homer, bert) on our first two lines as "net-front presences" is really starting to hurt us. I'd like to see us roll on our top six all-around offensive players on our top two lines (pav, hank, mule, flip, huds, and a new acquisition). I'd like to see a really good defensive line with some grit and scoring potential as our third line (helm, cleary, and a new acquisition). And I'd like to see us bury our trash (bert, homer) on the fourth line...save homer for the PP.

I actually really agree with this post. Bert isn't so bad as he still posseses good skils and shows he can skate at times i just feel Homer is really hurting this lineup because he hurts what the top line wants to do, but also hurts what third and 4th lines want to do. We need a big physical 3rd line center that has decent offense, and is a good shutdown man. We need a guy like Manny Malholtra- Not sure who plays like him that is available. Any suggestions?

yes.. I think a guy like him would be very useful for detroit and relatively inexpensive.. gotta strengthen the D up too I'd like to see us add wisniewski

I agree...

The thing is, I think the Wings already have depth taken care of quite well. I don't think these would be serious upgrades.

I would much rather we burn some of our established depth, and acquire top tier talent. Let our young depth take more of a role and start planning a long term success plan.

Honestly, what would we do with Fiddler and Wisniewski, when we would have Kindl, Mursak, Emmerton, and Smith ready to go???

I say it is time for addition by subtraction.

If that gives us enough cap space to do something bold, then that would be great too.

Brad Richards, Brooks Laich, Alex Tanguay, Michael Ryder (if he takes a nice hair cut), James Wisniewski, Joni Pitkanen, Alex Auld.

This is the list of players I could see fitting into the wings nicely and adding something they lack. Obviously not all of them, but, 1-2 could really help in my mind.

Brad Richards, Brooks Laich, Alex Tanguay, Michael Ryder (if he takes a nice hair cut), James Wisniewski, Joni Pitkanen, Alex Auld.

This is the list of players I could see fitting into the wings nicely and adding something they lack. Obviously not all of them, but, 1-2 could really help in my mind.

I would pass on half of the list, but the other half would be fine additions.

I stand by the fact that you cannot do this without subtracting people first.

My perfect offseason would include losing a couple of players for cap space that youngsters could replace. My choices would be Bertuzzi, Hudler, Ericsson, and Cleary. Why? I just think that losing them would not hurt us with what we still have in the stables. It would also clear about 8 million in cap space, which I would use over two seasons to improve the team.

I would definitely try to sign Weber to a one year offer sheet, we wouldn't get him this year but we would get him the next. I would also love to see us be aggressive again. Sign someone who forechecks like a beast. Failing that, go get the best superstar possible. We know we have the ability to grow Role players!

If the cap goes up 6 million this year, I figure we could add over the next two seasons two six million dollar players and still keep everyone else, with Lids near the end we could realistically add two seven million dollar players, a three million dollar player and keep everyone else. Or any combination there of.

Dreaming perhaps, but even if we couldn't land the big names. Clearing all that money would sure make it easier for us to address needs as they come. Let us not forget how many forwards we have in the pipeline. Defense is an issue that will grow fast over the next few seasons.

FORWARDS

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Johan Franzen ($3.954m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Brooks Laich ($3.000m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m)

Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.750m)

/ / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($1.500m)

Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Chris Osgood ($0.750m)

SALARY CAP: $62,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,558,711; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,941,289

The defense makes me wanna puke, but I think the Wings need to give Kindl a chance. Also, I think Brendan Smith will be up full time in 2012/13 so next year would be a good time to use him as a 7th d man. Let him play in GR and then call him up for any injuries on D. Also, if the cap goes up to about $3 mil to $62.5, then that cap space could be used to trade for a d-man at the deadline. Maybe someone like Brent Burns.

FORWARDS

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Brooks Laich ($3.000m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m)

Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.750m)

/ / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

Plucked right from my brain. I totally agree with this times a million. Helm and Laich together and maybe even Cleary is a ridonculous 3rd line.

Anyone interested in Curtis Glencross. I think he could be had for a good price and seems like he may be a good fit. Granted I don't know everything about the guy but he seems like a realistic opportunity.

Anyone interested in Curtis Glencross. I think he could be had for a good price and seems like he may be a good fit. Granted I don't know everything about the guy but he seems like a realistic opportunity.

Yes. He adds speed, size, grit and some scoring touch. Would be a good pickup

He wouldn't be a bad fit, but the Wings need more wingers and not more centers.

FORWARDS

Brooks Laich ($2.066m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m)

Ville Leino ($0.800m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Jussi Jokinen ($1.700m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Shea Weber ($6.500m)

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

SALARY CAP: $62,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,300,377; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $199,623

Eh, I don't know just messing around with the cap calculator.

Edited by MGreenberg

He wouldn't be a bad fit, but the Wings need more wingers and not more centers.

I thought he was a winger?

FORWARDS

Brooks Laich ($2.066m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m)

Ville Leino ($0.800m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Jussi Jokinen ($1.700m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Shea Weber ($6.500m)

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

SALARY CAP: $62,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,300,377; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $199,623

Eh, I don't know just messing around with the cap calculator.

Sorry not getting Leino for 800K thats for sure. Although I would take that team in a heart beat