• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CaptainCaveMan

Atlanta Thrashers move to Winnipeg

Rate this topic

379 posts in this topic

From TSN:

Sources tell TSN that Winnipeg general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff informed head coach Craig Ramsay that he intends on interviewing other candidates for the job.

Ramsay, contacted on Sunday by the Winnipeg organization, has also agreed to an interview as part of the process.

Although Winnipeg is considering other options, Ramsay has not been terminated.

Anyone know when the team name will be announced?

Would think they want it to be official first. Probally soon after the vote.

Would think they want it to be official first. Probally soon after the vote.

You'd think so. The draft is 4 days later. I would imagine they'd like their 7th overall pick to have a jersey to wear.

You'd think so. The draft is 4 days later. I would imagine they'd like their 7th overall pick to have a jersey to wear.

And since they'll have to make the jerseys in advance, I bet it'll leak out thanks to some overzealous manufacturer employee.

It turns out that someone has some explaining to do. It has now been revealed that a bid was placed for the Thrashers on May 20th, well before the deal with True North was finalized over a week later.

A bid has been made by a minority business group to purchase Atlanta Spirit, which owns the NBA's Hawks, the NHL's Thrashers and Phillips Arena, for $500 million, those bidding told USA TODAY.

The CEOs of Global Wellington Financial Corp. and Oriana Capital Partners put forth a bid May 20 to acquire both teams and the arena before the 2011-12 NBA season. The new ownership group would be called W/C Holdings.

Lucky for Bettman that nobody in Atlanta cares... <_<

USA Today story

Edited by evilmrt

I could dig the Manitoba Falcons. Naming teams after animals is much better than naming them after weather conditions.

Edited by VM1138

TSN.ca ALERT: The NHL formally approves the sale of the Atlanta Trashers to Winnipeg.

This is great news; welcome back, Winnipeg Mumbles!

Nosferatu was told he's out of the running for the head coaching position.

Edited by cusimano_brothers

From Toronto Star :

The sale is reportedly for $170 million, including a $60-million relocation fee that will be split by the rest of the owners. The Thrashers are the fifth NHL team to move since Gary Bettman became the league’s commissioner in 1993.

Somewhat surprising that they're saying the jersey their draft pick receives may not be representative of the jerseys they'll be wearing next year.

How much longer before they choose a name? If it's not the Jets people are going to lose it, so they might as well just go with it.

Somewhat surprising that they're saying the jersey their draft pick receives may not be representative of the jerseys they'll be wearing next year.

How much longer before they choose a name? If it's not the Jets people are going to lose it, so they might as well just go with it.

They likely do not have the rights to the jets name or logo. They may want it to be the Jets. However until they secure the rights (aka pay off the right people) they can't say one way or the other.

They likely do not have the rights to the jets name or logo. They may want it to be the Jets. However until they secure the rights (aka pay off the right people) they can't say one way or the other.

I believe the NHL owns the rights and will give them to the team if they request it.

Edited by WorkingOvertime

Winnipeg home opener: October 9th vs Montreal

Phoenix home opener: October 15th vs Winnipeg

350729-mrburns.gif

Just shop Bettman's face on here and there you have it.

Winnipeg home opener: October 9th vs Montreal

Phoenix home opener: October 15th vs Winnipeg

HAHAHAHA! This is awesome!!!! Bettman....really? Winnipeg Vs. Phoenix? LOL...

rally__1600W.Jpeg

I believe the NHL owns the rights and will give them to the team if they request it.

This is correct. The NHL owns the rights to the Jets name and logo. Bettman has already said, if TNSE wants it; they can have it.

However, I really doubt they will be the Jets. I believe Mark Chipman wants to start off fresh and build his own team and culture. I want it to be the Jets, but in this day and age of expansion and new culture of hockey; it will be something really stupid and the logo will be some cartoon fantasy animal.

Winnipeg Falcons - Barf

Winnipeg Moose - better than Falcons but still barf

Winnipeg Whiteout - Rolls off the tongue but doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Really, the best thing they could do is call them the Jets. Merch is continuing to fly off the shelves and I am pretty sure if they take over the Jets name, they get a small percentage of the revenue the NHL has made from Merch sales.

Yeah, the NHL has already said that they will open up the rights for the Jets if this new Winnipeg franchise chooses to use them.

Anything other than Jets=fail on their part IMO

Heard from multiple people in Winnipeg that the name will be released at the draft (possibly during the 7th overall pick) and it will be the Jets.

TNSE hosting draft party at MTS Centre. I highly doubt they announce the name with all eyes on the draft and not have it be the Jets.