• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Majsheppard

Morons at large

Rate this topic

iam soo glad van. never won the cup because i live only 15 minutes out of van. and am a diehard Redwings fan! so thank you boston... but when i saw this my heart sunk.. especially for the people who tried to stop it! arrests have been made and iam so happy to hear that!

I am not too young to remember the 1984 "riot." Please find me any evidence whatsoever that it even came close to the shenannighans of Vancouver. And NO ONE died in 1989. I have searched high and low for articles or photos, but nothing I find supports your claims, so it's not just memory loss on my part. Please be careful what you spread around without support.

The 1984 riot consistently makes the top 5-10 worst sports riots lists. I remember it being pretty bad - in my opinion much worse than Vancouver. Remember not as much overhyping media to spread things across the internet instantly.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/411212-the-10-ugliest-sports-riots-with-video/page/3

There are mixed reports on 1989-1990 Pistons wins. I was on the west coast listening on the radio and they claimed people had died. Whether these were the everynight deaths happening in Detroit or related to rioting is probably unknown, and one can find little information on this - short of pulling archived newspapers from the time.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/06/16/when-fans-and-players-get-violent-10-shocking-sports-riots/isiah-thomas-and-dennis-rodman/

Whether we like it or not, Detroit has the reputation of riot city - a reputation well earned, but one that I think is far in the past and the media just hasn't caught on.

You're a Toronto Star *****. :P

3 good Samaritans against an angry mob. As stated, and I know it's "so American of me", but I never go anywhere without a CCW for such instances. Albeit, I'd only ahve it unconcealed if it were my car being victimized.

Edited by Konnan511

The Globe and Mail: The sad, painful truth about the Vancouver rioters’ true identities

While police and politicians continue to lay the blame for this week’s Stanley Cup riot in Vancouver on professional anarchists and hardened thugs with deep-seated criminal tendencies, the blogosphere and social networks such as Facebook have been revealing a much more uncomfortable truth.

Many of those who participated in the riot were not these types of people at all. They were, in many instances, the sons and daughters of good, upstanding citizens who today must still be in shock over what they’ve learned.

(...)

The fact is, it’s easier to blame hooligans and professional nihilists for what happened than confront the more disturbing possibility that under unique conditions that wonderful teenaged boy who lives next door is capable of coming unglued.

The 1984 riot consistently makes the top 5-10 worst sports riots lists. I remember it being pretty bad - in my opinion much worse than Vancouver. Remember not as much overhyping media to spread things across the internet instantly.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/411212-the-10-ugliest-sports-riots-with-video/page/3

There are mixed reports on 1989-1990 Pistons wins. I was on the west coast listening on the radio and they claimed people had died. Whether these were the everynight deaths happening in Detroit or related to rioting is probably unknown, and one can find little information on this - short of pulling archived newspapers from the time.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/06/16/when-fans-and-players-get-violent-10-shocking-sports-riots/isiah-thomas-and-dennis-rodman/

Whether we like it or not, Detroit has the reputation of riot city - a reputation well earned, but one that I think is far in the past and the media just hasn't caught on.

I cannot find many facts upon the 1984 riot. It doesn't even have a wikipedia page or is listed in their riot list. The only fact I can find of note is AP.

The final AP report read: “34 arrests, one dead, dozens injured.” Few of those arrested had attended the game, but the pictures of burning police cars and taxis appeared in national newspapers and magazines. A photograph of seventeen-year old Kenneth (Bubba) Helms, an eighth-grade dropout from Lincoln Park, in front of a burning police car, became the image of Detroit’s celebration

That isn't as bad as what happened in Vancouver, with the exception of one death. At least in the perception of what is available.

I can't find any evidence of anything happening in 1990. The only references are from Time and SI articles talking about it in the past. Cannot find original sources.

Edited by Majsheppard

I was on the west coast at the time as well and yes, according to the national media Detroit was burning to the ground. I called home only to find nothing was really going on. Detroit has been razed at least 5 times according to national media. Funny, a lot of the buildings that were there when I was a kid are still there, and with no fire damage. Hmmmmmmm.

You can't make claims of what has happened because of a lack of sources. I can find a ton of information on the '68 riots and there was no internet then either. If these alleged riots happened in '89 & '90, I suspect we could find something on them in spite of no internet.

All I ask is that you not make these claims without some support. If you weren't there and can't cite sources, it's a rumor.

Well I guess they all weren't anarchists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPQOQsLUW60&feature=player_embedded

The kid who tried to make a Molotov cocktail out of that cop car is sorry. The pool might need more chlorine. If this is posted elsewhere I didn't see it, sorry.

Boo hoo.

This spoiled little punk isn't sorry at all. You always get these fake "oh I'm sorry" when they get caught. He is not sorry at all. He is sorry he got caught, and is sorry he is suspended form his polo team. Thats all.

Now he wants sympathy...******* pathetic.

What a little puck *****. I hope someone kicks his ass into next week.

Secondly, people in Vancouver have been planning on rioting after game 7 for weeks if not months.

So, people in Vancouver are so smart that, not only did they know "months in advance" the Canucks were going to be in the SCF, but also that it would go to 7 games. Truely amazing.

Are the people in Montreal not as smart? Did they have to return their riot supplies to acmeriotsupply.ca because the Habs didn't make it to the finals?

Boo hoo.

This spoiled little punk isn't sorry at all. You always get these fake "oh I'm sorry" when they get caught. He is not sorry at all. He is sorry he got caught, and is sorry he is suspended form his polo team. Thats all.

His dad is a surgeon. The family had to "flee town" due to threats. His dad is quoted as saying that the son's actions that night do not show the true character of his son. Sounds to me like dad doesn't know the definition of the word character and maybe that's why the son has none.

If it were my son, he'd be in the apology video all battered and bruised from his mother beating his ass proper.

Boo hoo.

Amen to that. I hope that spoiled little s*** gets what he deserves. Reading his father's comments, I'm certain this kid's childhood was filled with his parents saying, "Oh, you must be mistaken, my son would never do something like that!" Denial, denial, denial.

Amen to that. I hope that spoiled little s*** gets what he deserves. Reading his father's comments, I'm certain this kid's childhood was filled with his parents saying, "Oh, you must be mistaken, my son would never do something like that!" Denial, denial, denial.

It's possible, but as a parent I can vouch for the fact that sometimes your kids do the damnedest things.

Truly pathetic. And people talk about what a crap town Detroit is? At least we don't burn what's left of the place down when our sports teams win, or lose...

I remember on game 7 in 2009, after the Wings lost everyone just finished up their drinks, paid their bills, and walked home. None of this burning car crap.

I hope Vancouver never touches the cup.

It's possible, but as a parent I can vouch for the fact that sometimes your kids do the damnedest things.

True. I'm just coming from the perspective of someone who, in his younger years was constantly victimized by those "Oh, my son could never..." kids and their parents, so there's my bias. :P

Truly pathetic. And people talk about what a crap town Detroit is? At least we don't burn what's left of the place down when our sports teams win, or lose...

I remember on game 7 in 2009, after the Wings lost everyone just finished up their drinks, paid their bills, and walked home. None of this burning car crap.

I hope Vancouver never touches the cup.

Maybe, but in '84 you would be in good shape if you were downtown with a bag of marshmallows. That year the Tigers won and Detroit came away from it with a couple less cop cars. Virgins we're not.:(