• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Jasper84

Jasper84

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

So I was talking with a buddy of mine today and he was telling me how the Wings contacted a few players and they refused to talk about coming to the Wings because of Babcock. Apparently, some ex-players of Babcock (including ex-Wings, not just his previous teams) have been bad mouthing him.

I've always liked Babs as a coach and have considered him one of the best. But now after hearing this, it makes me wonder if there is problems with Babs and players? We know that he and Commie don't get along, but now that I hear some other players refused to sign here because of him really makes me wonder.

Has anyone else heard anything about players not liking Babs?

#2 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:10 PM

My first question would be what your friend's source is.

#3 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,889 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:13 PM

I have heard he expects a lot out of his players, but this is the NHL, not Peewee hockey on Saturday mornings. I have not heard that a lot of players badmouth him and refuse to play under him.

In any event I think the point is moot. You know who else was described like that? Scotty Bowman.

#4 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:14 PM

Robert Lang
Brendan Shanahan
Jason Williams, hehe

#5 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:15 PM

Babcock is an ass, and if you don't have a spine than you aren't going to like the guy.

He expects a lot.

Posted Image

#6 Jasper84

Jasper84

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:17 PM

My first question would be what your friend's source is.

Not to be rude, but would giving you my friend's source really matter in this topic, when I am just asking a simple question out of curiosity?

Has anyone else heard anything about players not liking Babs?

#7 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:17 PM

It seems as though there are a handful of coaches scattered throughout the league (current, and former coaches) that may not have had a great repore with any number of players (again current, and former).

Scotty Bowman, and Mike Keenan are 2 that come to mind.

Babs may have ruffled a few feathers over the years, but sometimes ya gotta do so to get results.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#8 Jasper84

Jasper84

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

I have heard he expects a lot out of his players, but this is the NHL, not Peewee hockey on Saturday mornings. I have not heard that a lot of players badmouth him and refuse to play under him.

In any event I think the point is moot. You know who else was described like that? Scotty Bowman.

Oh okay. I know about his expectations and it's a plus in my book. I was just wondering if there was more to it than just that, that I've never heard about.

#9 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:20 PM

on Scotty Bowman...

You hated him for 364 days of the year, and on the 365th day you received your Stanley Cup Ring.

Posted Image

Steve Shutt

#10 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:21 PM

Just ask Mike Commodore what he thinks about Babs when he gets here.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:27 PM

Babs is a simple coach. Do what is asked of you and do it well and there will be no problem. Too many coaches are afraid of hurting a player's feelings so the problems never get corrected. Babs knows his formula works because he has the results to prove it (3 Cup Finals appearances and 1 Cup win). If you don't like Babs then you don't have to play here. He is not going anywhere. Any player who does not want to play for the Wings is likely not worth having anyway (Wisniewski). The players on Team Canada didn't seem minding having Babs as their coach when they won Gold in the 2010 Olympics. Babs is a winner. If those players are going to badmouth him then they should at least have the guts to identify themselves.

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#12 nuts2u

nuts2u

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:32 PM

Robert Lang
Brendan Shanahan
Jason Williams, hehe

bullseye

Edited by nuts2u, 05 July 2011 - 03:34 PM.

#13 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:32 PM

Much of the time the relationship between a coach and a player seems to be better if the player doesn't like the coach. It's the coach's job to push their players and squeeze every little bit of effectiveness that they can. A lot of times feelings get hurt but those who have some mental toughness use that as motivation to be better.

#14 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:37 PM

There wasn't a problem with Dave Lewis...

#15 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:39 PM

This thread should be moved to rumor mill. There is no credibility here what-so-ever....

#16 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:40 PM

Much of the time the relationship between a coach and a player seems to be better if the player doesn't like the coach. It's the coach's job to push their players and squeeze every little bit of effectiveness that they can. A lot of times feelings get hurt but those who have some mental toughness use that as motivation to be better.

That is what was so great about Bowman. He realized that some guys needed to be pushed hard (Shanahan) while others didn't (Yzerman). He knew if players were pissed off to prove to him that they could do what he wanted then that was better than being pissed off just for the sake of being pissed off. Fedorov wanted more playing time so Scotty made him play defense. I still laugh at that. But he was a decent dman! :lol: That's how skilled Fedorov was. Anyway I think Babs is a fair coach. I never hear Hank or Dats say anything bad about him. Or Nick for that matter. I'll take that as enough proof for me. :thumbup:

Edited by Hatethedrake!, 05 July 2011 - 03:41 PM.

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#17 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

It seems as though there are a handful of coaches scattered throughout the league (current, and former coaches) that may not have had a great repore with any number of players (again current, and former).

Scotty Bowman, and Mike Keenan are 2 that come to mind.

Babs may have ruffled a few feathers over the years, but sometimes ya gotta do so to get results.

Alternatively, you can be like Dave Lewis: run your team like a country club and never challenge the players. And then have no success.

#18 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:44 PM

Not to be rude, but would giving you my friend's source really matter in this topic, when I am just asking a simple question out of curiosity?

I think that it's reasonable for me to ask. I understand that you're asking others' opinions, but if you start out by asserting that this is a perception of Babcock by some, obviously people are going to ask questions.

In answer to your question, yes, I have heard that Babcock is disliked. My sources are entirely hearsay / online posts similar to yours though. Thus my personal curiosity.

If someone doesn't give further elaboration, I just assume that he's disliked by his players like many other coaches in the league and leave it at that.

Edited by Zetts, 05 July 2011 - 03:46 PM.

#19 Jasper84

Jasper84

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:47 PM

This thread should be moved to rumor mill. There is no credibility here what-so-ever....

Move it wherever you'd like. Delete it completely if it's such a big deal. I didn't mention any player's names nor did I try to force anyone to believe anything. I asked a simple question based on what I learned today. I don't see how a question would be considered a rumor.

#20 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:49 PM

That is what was so great about Bowman. He realized that some guys needed to be pushed hard (Shanahan) while others didn't (Yzerman). He knew if players were pissed off to prove to him that they could do what he wanted then that was better than being pissed off just for the sake of being pissed off. Fedorov wanted more playing time so Scotty made him play defense. I still laugh at that. But he was a decent dman! :lol: That's how skilled Fedorov was. Anyway I think Babs is a fair coach. I never hear Hank or Dats say anything bad about him. Or Nick for that matter. I'll take that as enough proof for me. :thumbup:

:huh:

I can't recall any details but I remember hearing stories about Scotty notoriously and constantly on Stevie's case, especially in the early years of their working relationship together. If there ever was a period in which Scotty didn't go after Stevie then it was probably in the waning years of his career.