• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#201 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:03 PM

Is it too much to assume that someone at this thing addressed the plane crash?

originally they were saying Shero would at the start, but I missed the first few minutes so I don't know if it happened.

#202 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:12 PM

originally they were saying Shero would at the start, but I missed the first few minutes so I don't know if it happened.

Shero did talk about the Crash, and expressed that the entire hockey worlds prayers were with them.

Edited by Crashnburnluder, 07 September 2011 - 12:13 PM.

#203 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:37 PM

So what was this conference thing about?

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#204 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:48 PM

So what was this conference thing about?

Shero said two sentences about the crash and then it was the Sidney Show.

During the whole press conference, I was imagining George W. Bush reading from The Pet Goat while tragedy was occurring elsewhere. Conference was carried on at least six channels here while I kept thinking of McCrimmon, Salei and the rest of Lokomotiv.

EDIT
If it's my call, I postpone the newser for the day and say something like "The entire hockey world, including the Penguins, is mourning the deaths the players and team officials in the plane crash in Yaroslavl. Out of respect, we will postpone the press conference until tomorrow. Our thoughts go out to the families, etc, etc."

Edited by mjlegend, 07 September 2011 - 12:51 PM.

#205 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:55 PM

Shero said two sentences about the crash and then it was the Sidney Show.

During the whole press conference, I was imagining George W. Bush reading from The Pet Goat while tragedy was occurring elsewhere. Conference was carried on at least six channels here while I kept thinking of McCrimmon, Salei and the rest of Lokomotiv.

EDIT
If it's my call, I postpone the newser for the day and say something like "The entire hockey world, including the Penguins, is mourning the deaths the players and team officials in the plane crash in Yaroslavl. Out of respect, we will postpone the press conference until tomorrow. Our thoughts go out to the families, etc, etc."

Thats ridiculous. Also, the conference also didnt turn into the Crosby Show either, it was 90% of the doctors talking, and Sid answering questions that were directed at him.

#206 13GoWings40

13GoWings40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:11 PM

Thats ridiculous. Also, the conference also didnt turn into the Crosby Show either, it was 90% of the doctors talking, and Sid answering questions that were directed at him.

So what did the doctors say? just that he's gonna keep working on it? I was hoping they'd at least give some kind of indication if he's gonna miss more time

#207 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:16 PM

The whole point of the conference was Crosby and doctors talking about Crosby. If that's not the Crosby Show, I don't know what is.

All for: "I don't know when I'm coming back."

No one outside of Pittsburgh gives a s*** about him today. Dozens of hockey players died, leaving behind families and friends forever. Sidney is having headaches and might not play for a few months, or maybe he will. The conference was a whole lot of nothing being announced, while they're still pulling the bodies of hockey players out of the Volga.

Just wait one day; how tough would that have been?

#208 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:48 PM

The whole point of the conference was Crosby and doctors talking about Crosby. If that's not the Crosby Show, I don't know what is.

No one outside of Pittsburgh gives a s*** about him today. Dozens of hockey players died, leaving behind families and friends forever. Sidney is having headaches and might not play for a few months, or maybe he will. The conference was a whole lot of nothing being announced, while they're still pulling the bodies of hockey players out of the Volga.

He's not just "having headaches." He has a brain injury.

One could also argue that in light of today's tragedy, maybe we should all take a break from hating on players for petty reasons.

#209 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,447 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:49 PM

I'm facilitating a training session in Toronto today and I can tell you that the 50-60 people in my room were gathered around their computers listening to the press conference and I know several media members flew into Pittsburgh from across the US and Canada last night to attend. To say that no one outside of Pitts gives a s*** about him today is false.

The fact is that the media has been begging for this for months, moreso in the last few weeks, it was scheduled, everyone came from out of town, postponing a 20 minute presser by a day wouldn't have made much sense at all. It would have been easy for the Pens organization and Crosby to do it, but the media would have exploded if they did.

I know your intention is to minimize Crosby's health concerns with the tragedy in Russia, which I whole heartedly agree with, but you didn't have to minimize Crosby's issue all together to make your point. I listend to the preseer and I can tell you that it was pretty scaring some of the stuff the doctors were saying.

Edited by toby91_ca, 07 September 2011 - 01:53 PM.

#210 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:59 PM

You are highly misinformed and pretty ignorant by that claim. I dont even like Crosby, but I respect his skill and him as a player and what hes going through. It was a very good conference where it educated alot of people about concussions and hopefully opened up the leagues eyes. What if Datsyuk had suffered a concussions like Crosby and continued to do the Press Conference anyways despite a plane crashing earlier would you still be acting the way you are ?

#211 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

Completely agree with this but hit 'neg' by mistake. :P Oh noes! What will we ever do without Crosby playingf****** hockey for a while. Let's have a presser so we all know when to begin mourning the loss of ticket sales!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#212 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:08 PM

I guess the reason I though i was a huge waste of time was not getting one single piece of new news, but to constantly hear team doctors who don't play the game continuously say how he is a ferrari out there compared to other players, that he is the best player in the league, and that him at 90% is equal to every other player in the NHL at 100%. You are the team doctor, you are there to explain the injury and thats it, not shine his ball for him. I felt that for something that was basically so pointless except for a ploy to try to ease Pittsburgh fans and make sure they don't stop buying tickets.

Waste of time, and there a lot of other more important things going on in the hockey world today. If the reporters could pay for last minute flights to get there, they can pay for a night at the local hotel.

crash

#213 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:19 PM

Just one day. Arguably, the biggest tragedy in hockey history happened mere hours before. There was time to make a decision to postpone. Even putting it to the afternoon would have been an improvement. I don't care if the assembled Canadian national media 'explode's over it. Ultimately, there's a bigger story, particularly given the lack of a definite time frame over his return.

The issue on concussions and recovery can wait for a bit.

Canada's national sports networks disappointed me greatly by devoting their time to the full half-hour press conference. Kudos to Rogers for talking about the crash before the conference and getting people on to talk about it.

That's all I'll say about this as I feel a lot of you are missing the big picture and this isn't the thread for this discussion. Forty-three men on a team dead vs. one person's brain injury.

Back to Crosby talk.

What's to stop someone, the next game, from hitting him in much the same way Hedman did? Because I don't think that hit was among the ones that the NHL is trying to eliminate. If he gets hurt again a couple of games into a comeback, on a play like Hedman's, what have we learned?

He mentioned whiplash from the Hedman hit and feeling more pain in his neck than in his head originally. If so, how would a reduction on head shots have helped Crosby if the rules were in place then?

The doctors there said that they were confident that eventually he would not have any evidence of the concussion/brain injury. I'm sure this would have been news to anyone whose had a brain injury because IIRC, they stick with you forever.

#214 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:56 PM

I'll probably get more negative ratings from you old school hockey fight fans, but it was good to hear a player FINALLY say the NHL needs to ban head shots. Cindy made a good point that there's 50,000 hits a year and a ban on head shots would only effect about 50 of them, so the game won't change.

I for one do not want to see this type of press conference for Datsyuk, Zetterberg, or any other player in the NHL. Let's put a stop to head shots NOW!!

I hope Cindy continues to talk about this. I don't think he sucks, as much, anymore.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#215 Free_Candy

Free_Candy

Rookie

• Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:46 PM

I'll probably get more negative ratings from you old school hockey fight fans, but it was good to hear a player FINALLY say the NHL needs to ban head shots. Cindy made a good point that there's 50,000 hits a year and a ban on head shots would only effect about 50 of them, so the game won't change.

I for one do not want to see this type of press conference for Datsyuk, Zetterberg, or any other player in the NHL. Let's put a stop to head shots NOW!!

I hope Cindy continues to talk about this. I don't think he sucks, as much, anymore.

I'm chuckling because I'm giving a +1 to a post that says Cindy in it but I agree with the overall sentiment. And thank you for your well wishes in the other (Lokomotiv crash) thread (didn't want to take it off topic).

In general they sound pretty optimistic about his recovery and ability to play so far, I think the difference would be recovery time. In light of what we are continuing to learn about concussions, it sounds to me like players in the past just weren't taking enough time off to heal and that's had long term consequences. If this were 10, even 5 years ago he might have been back on the ice for the playoffs or something.

He may or may not be on the same trajectory as a player if he comes back, but in the end, for him and any other player that has suffered a brain injury, it isn't just about playing hockey longer term or even playing at all, it's also considering longer term quality of life outside of hockey. If it's one thing we've all been reminded of with today's tragedy, the players are so much more than just hockey players, they are also living, breathing human beings with loved ones and families, with lives that matter outside of hockey.

Edited by Free_Candy, 07 September 2011 - 08:23 PM.

"It's a great day for hockey." -- Badger

#216 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:58 PM

i do hope he comes back

#217 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:50 PM

At work today I came across an actual Cindy Crosby. I know the world probably has a good number of them but it was still worth a chuckle.

#218 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:33 PM

I do hope Crosby plays again, but where was he calling for head-shots to be banned when it happened to Marc Savard?

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#219 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:08 AM

Just one day. Arguably, the biggest tragedy in hockey history happened mere hours before. There was time to make a decision to postpone. Even putting it to the afternoon would have been an improvement. I don't care if the assembled Canadian national media 'explode's over it. Ultimately, there's a bigger story, particularly given the lack of a definite time frame over his return.

The issue on concussions and recovery can wait for a bit.

Canada's national sports networks disappointed me greatly by devoting their time to the full half-hour press conference. Kudos to Rogers for talking about the crash before the conference and getting people on to talk about it.

That's all I'll say about this as I feel a lot of you are missing the big picture and this isn't the thread for this discussion. Forty-three men on a team dead vs. one person's brain injury.

Back to Crosby talk.

What's to stop someone, the next game, from hitting him in much the same way Hedman did? Because I don't think that hit was among the ones that the NHL is trying to eliminate. If he gets hurt again a couple of games into a comeback, on a play like Hedman's, what have we learned?

He mentioned whiplash from the Hedman hit and feeling more pain in his neck than in his head originally. If so, how would a reduction on head shots have helped Crosby if the rules were in place then?

The doctors there said that they were confident that eventually he would not have any evidence of the concussion/brain injury. I'm sure this would have been news to anyone whose had a brain injury because IIRC, they stick with you forever.

I will second these posts quoted below in sort of a response to the above:

You are highly misinformed and pretty ignorant by that claim. I dont even like Crosby, but I respect his skill and him as a player and what hes going through. It was a very good conference where it educated alot of people about concussions and hopefully opened up the leagues eyes. What if Datsyuk had suffered a concussions like Crosby and continued to do the Press Conference anyways despite a plane crashing earlier would you still be acting the way you are ?

He's not just "having headaches." He has a brain injury.

One could also argue that in light of today's tragedy, maybe we should all take a break from hating on players for petty reasons.

Despite this tragedy, I see people still taking pot shots at Crosby and the Penguins. Are my sentiments offended by this? Certainly not. It's a clue that life indeed goes on.

And to add to that -- we understand. Former players/coaches died in a plane crash, very tragic accident leaving everyone but two (still fighting for their lives as I type this) dead.

However, life and business do not cease due to tragedy across the world, even if mentally it hits close to home. TSN, CBC, Sportsnet.. can only cover a news piece so much before it has to return to what's going on in the NHL and the seriousness behind concussions and it's impact on players. The Crosby issue and concussions is a rather important issue as well and this press conference should not be suspended merely because some are unable to grasp the nature of two serious issues at once. To suggest that it should be put off is exaggerated political correctness, not surprisingly combined with downplaying Crosby's injury, especially in light of the issue being respectfully mentioned already during the press conference itself.

If talking about concussions and Crosby's injury is not something that appeals to you, simply find other news sources which are covering it with the same sentiment, stay away from this topic, whatever, but it's going nowhere trying to appeal to others to stop business and ignore this issue because there's an important one going on elsewhere. That's well ridiculous.

#220 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:10 AM

I'm chuckling because I'm giving a +1 to a post that says Cindy in it but I agree with the overall sentiment. And thank you for your well wishes in the other (Lokomotiv crash) thread (didn't want to take it off topic).

In general they sound pretty optimistic about his recovery and ability to play so far, I think the difference would be recovery time. In light of what we are continuing to learn about concussions, it sounds to me like players in the past just weren't taking enough time off to heal and that's had long term consequences. If this were 10, even 5 years ago he might have been back on the ice for the playoffs or something.

He may or may not be on the same trajectory as a player if he comes back, but in the end, for him and any other player that has suffered a brain injury, it isn't just about playing hockey longer term or even playing at all, it's also considering longer term quality of life outside of hockey. If it's one thing we've all been reminded of with today's tragedy, the players are so much more than just hockey players, they are also living, breathing human beings with loved ones and families, with lives that matter outside of hockey.

My sense is an overwhelming majority of us on here still dislike him to a great degree but also feel a pure desire towards a successful recovery for him so that he can return to the game as a top player in the league.