• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
robb himself

Crosby's 2012 Season now in Question

Rate this topic

I hate Crosby and wish the league would market other stars, but it would honestly hurt the league if the same thing happens this season.

It would be a shame to see his career ruined by this concussion issue, which is greater now in sports than it ever was.

Karma for carrying Matt Cooke on their team.

esteef

Karma for all the diving he did/does when he barely gets tapped....now he knows what a real hit feels like!

...besides, he come back and play half the season and they will "give" him another trophy, the Masterson Trophy. Then they will fill the NHL airwaves full of talk about what heart and dedication he has, and how he is the only "true champion" for coming back from his injury. I can see Eddie Olczyk (and Carmen) wiping the jizz off his face already.

I have no sympathy for him as a player (as a person I do hope he is ok to live a nice life,) this is what happens when you start believing the hype and think you are bigger than the game...the game stands up at the blueline and knocks you out...Eric Lindros part II...

If he comes back, great, but if he is done, I won't lose any sleep over it.

This is a bummer. I wonder how the Pens will adapt if he misses an extended period of time again.

They'll trade us Joe Morrow for Jiri Hudler and Jakub Kindl.... :ninja: (only in my dreams)

Edited by LeftWinger

That's sad news.

I dislike Crosby (Hate the Pens) as much as the next guy, but he is undeniably one of the most gifted players in the game.

I always really thought he would mature as he got older and become an Yzerman,Sakic, Lidstrom type of personality. People often forget just how young he is, 24 or 25. I'm sure we were all such gentleman at that age.

Ryan

I hate Crosby and wish the league would market other stars, but it would honestly hurt the league if the same thing happens this season.

True, but the only reason this is going to hurt the league, is because, as you pointed out, they've dedicated like 90%+ of their player marketing soley to Crosby.

I've always felt this was absolutely retarded, for this exact reason. What happens if he gets seriously injured and is out for a long period of time, or worse, his career is ended early? You screwed yourself. If they had decided to market a lot of great players instead of putting all their eggs in the Crosby basket, then if one of those players gets hurt, it doesn't have as adverse of an effect on the league. Hopefully they will learn from this, but honestly, they probably won't.

I'll be the mean and evil one. I can't deny that Crosby is a great player but I hope he doesn't ever play again. Thank who is gonna be Bettman's little baby boy and the face of the NHL. I'm sorry but I HATE Crosby. I hate the fact that I live in Michigan and whenever I go into a hockey shop or a sports store the only Reebok Hockey Stick has Crosby's name and number on it; like he is the only player in the NHL that uses Rebook equipment and can endorse for Reebok. I know that's Reebok's thing and has nothing to do with Crosby playing but I think back to the 09 Cup Finals and listening to my local sports radio show and all anyone could talk about was Crosby not even the rest of the Penguins squad just Crosby and his tremendous skills. Everytime I think of 09 I get sick, and I feel I always will. It's as if he is the ultimate Hockey God and I just can't stand to hear about it and even if he doesn't play we'll still hear all the NHL talk about him not playing but for me it's better than hearing about him being the NHL's hero and all the other crap they can come up with to make Sidney Crosby into Superman. So I hope he NEVER plays again.

Guest 13GoWings40

While reading this thread I started to wonder about Crosby's legacy if the concussions do indeed derail his career. If Crosby ends up returning for a couple season but is never the same player does he make it into the HHOF? Neely made it in on potential and Crosby did captain a team to a cup in his early 20s so I do think it's possible. I do not think it would be warranted, but I can definitely see this happening if events were to play out like this.

While reading this thread I started to wonder about Crosby's legacy if the concussions do indeed derail his career. If Crosby ends up returning for a couple season but is never the same player does he make it into the HHOF? Neely made it in on potential and Crosby did captain a team to a cup in his early 20s so I do think it's possible. I do not think it would be warranted, but I can definitely see this happening if events were to play out like this.

I am no fan, but Crosby is already a sure-fire Hall of Famer, even if he never plays another game.

I am no fan, but Crosby is already a sure-fire Hall of Famer, even if he never plays another game.

You're probably right, but I wouldn't put him in. You shouldn't get in on potential alone. True, he's a great player, but he really needs a longer career with more accomplishments and steady work to be considered, I think.

On the flip side, I hope he recovers.

Don't like him much like pretty much everybody else on here, but don't want to see his future jeopardized in this manner (unlike others that might do it with stupidity for example, Matt Cooke for instance since he was specifically mentioned in this thread).

I know most of us Red Wings fans really hate that Crosby because the NHL shoves him down our throats every chance they get, and because he is a diver and a crybaby, but he was truly on the verge of something amazing before his concussion. He has a 25 game point streak and was on pace for a 60 goal season to follow his Rocket Richard winning 51 goal season. He was also on pace for a 130 point season. Theres no telling what numbers he could've put up this upcoming season either as he should have kept getting better (If I'm not mistaken, an NHL player's prime is from like 26-32 or something along those lines and he is only 24). Hopefully he can recover fully, but I can't really think of many athletes who do after a severe concussion.

How?

You simply can't allow someone into the Hall based on what might have been. As it is, Crosby has 1 Cup, 1 Olympic Gold, 2 Finals appearances, a Pearson, Hart, Ross and 4 All-Star appearances. Compared to other notables not in the Hall, that's nothing.

Pavel Bure: 6 All-Star games, Calder and 2 Richards.

Phil Housley: 7 All-Star games, 1 Finals appearance, 2nd most points by an American.

Sergei Makarov: nearly a point per game for his career, despite starting in NHL late. 8 World Championships, Calder, Canada Cup.

Adam Oates: 4 All-Star games, better than a point per game for his career.

Fred Shero: 2 Cups as a coach, 4 trips to the Finals, Adams, Patrick.

Eric Lindros: Hart, Pearson, 7 All-Star games, 1 Finals appearance.

How exactly does he stand out as a lock when the likes of Housley, Oates and Bure are out?

How?

You simply can't allow someone into the Hall based on what might have been. As it is, Crosby has 1 Cup, 1 Olympic Gold, 2 Finals appearances, a Pearson, Hart, Ross and 4 All-Star appearances. Compared to other notables not in the Hall, that's nothing.

Pavel Bure: 6 All-Star games, Calder and 2 Richards.

Phil Housley: 7 All-Star games, 1 Finals appearance, 2nd most points by an American.

Sergei Makarov: nearly a point per game for his career, despite starting in NHL late. 8 World Championships, Calder, Canada Cup.

Adam Oates: 4 All-Star games, better than a point per game for his career.

Fred Shero: 2 Cups as a coach, 4 trips to the Finals, Adams, Patrick.

Eric Lindros: Hart, Pearson, 7 All-Star games, 1 Finals appearance.

How exactly does he stand out as a lock when the likes of Housley, Oates and Bure are out?

Top 10 finishes:

1, 2, 3, 6 - Crosby

2, 3, 5, 7 - Bure

1, 6, 7 - Lindros

And unlike Bure and Lindros, Crosby won a Cup, as the youngest captain to do so ever.

He is a shoe-in.