• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:04 PM

If the checking player didn't try and throw an elbow, a call never would have been made. It was a disgraceful dive, but dives happen because of careless plays.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#22 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:29 PM

Definitely a weak call. The only thing Leblanc did was get the elbow up, but I'm not sure it even made contact, and if it did, sure doesn't look like it did anything. If it did hit his head, you would see his neck move more, he threw his whole body the opposite direction. Complete flop. Not to mention Semin changed his positioning immediately before and simultaneously as the hit was delivered, placing the onus on him and not the hitter.

I'm not sure where you get the neck movement thing. This wasn't a "drive my car into the wall" collision. It was more like a bounce pass in basketball. Leblanc's angle of approach was not that different than the actual alignment of Semin's body. As for Semin going to the ice; he had just curled around at full speed receiving a pass, and was hit during this process and thrown off his skates. His body goes sideways towards the boards because of a little thing called centrifugal motion.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#23 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:43 PM

Wow, this is a slam dunk.
LeBlanc is a repeat offender and he needs to keep his arms down.
He made contact with the head, simple.

#24 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:09 PM

[font="Book Antiqua"]
Guys who have played the majority of their career after 1990, but ended early due to concussions largely due to head hits:

Keith Primeau

I guess that does work out to 1 or 2 per decade. But only if you have had a few concussions.[

he's probably the only one that got it just form being banged up too much.

Lindros brought it upon himself, richter is a goalie, deadarch got it form a fight, as did barnaby

Courtnall and Stevens were big hitters, they never recieved and major big hits as far as i know.

Boogaard was a fighter and his career didn't end early because of a concussion you dumbass.

Savard was hit illegally.

Crosby was in an accidental collision.

lame examples.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#25 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:09 PM

Diving<Headshots<Bananas<Matt Cooke
Posted Image

#26 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:10 PM

FYI, last season there was a reported, 80 concussions in the NHL regular season, and that's just reported. And that doesn't include playoffs when the intensity is that much higher.

They need to do something about head shots because more guys are going to have problems like Crosby is facing now. Plus there's the low quality of life they'll face when their careers are over with all the stress their brain has experienced when they played.

I think with all the head shots, parents won't allow their kids to play hockey, and we'll lose out on a generation of great hockey players.

Think long term...

And that's only big named players. The list probably doubles or triples when you include mid to low level players.

the question is how many of these are from illegal head hits? probably like 3. That is why it isn't a problem.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#27 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:49 PM

I can see the point on both sides, this is going to make it incredibly difficult for referees. Any devastating hit can be penalized now if the player dives, even if no head contact is made, because a whiplash effect can happen.

I'd be ok with the player that was the recipeint of a head shot that is penalized severely to be taken off the ice for some time(10 minutes?) if he happens to lay on the ice or anything. That way it will hopefully stop players from taking dives?

#28 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:57 PM

Not sure if the original poster was just trying to be a smart allec or what not, but diving is a problem.

It's just an apples-oranges comparison with the two.

If diving/unsportsmanlike conduct was actually called more than once every 15 games, less people would do it.

#29 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:00 PM

Lindros brought it upon himself

Yep, being a big player who dominates other teams demands that those teams have guys who hit you in the head. Completely warranted.

richter is a goalie

Richter's career was ended by two major consussions in eight months. One was a shot to the mask, and the second was a knee to the head.

deadarch got it form a fight, as did barnaby

It? These guys didn't have their careers ended by one concussion. And BTW- getting punched in the face is less impact than a headshot.

Courtnall and Stevens were big hitters, they never recieved and major big hits as far as i know.

Courtnall was not a "big hitter" he was a speedy scoring winger. He played 30 games in his final two seasons; he went out after 24 games in 1998-99 with a concussion, and returned the following fall. Six games in he received a concussion, and was forced to retire.

Stevens was a big hitter, but he also took big hits. He retired due to PCS, and he didn't get those concussions from hitting people.

Boogaard was a fighter and his career didn't end early because of a concussion you dumbass.

It's believed that Boogaard's death occurred because he was not of sound mind due to the numerous concussions he has received.

Savard was hit illegally.

So was Semin.

Crosby was in an accidental collision.

You're right. The fact that Crosby was injured when someone accidentally hit his head means trying to hit the head should definitely not be punished or considered intent to injure. I bet you think Todd Bertuzzi should carry no responsibility for the Steve Moore incident, also.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#30 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:10 PM

I'd be ok with the player that was the recipeint of a head shot that is penalized severely to be taken off the ice for some time(10 minutes?) if he happens to lay on the ice or anything. That way it will hopefully stop players from taking dives?

That actually happens. The "quiet room", you know? After getting hit to head the player is forced to stay in the room for 15 (?) minutes while a doctor holds his hand and makes him watch MTV. If the player looks like he's enjoying the program the doctor deems the player concussioned and won't allow him to return to the ice.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#31 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:22 PM

That actually happens. The "quiet room", you know? After getting hit to head the player is forced to stay in the room for 15 (?) minutes while a doctor holds his hand and makes him watch MTV. If the player looks like he's enjoying the program the doctor deems the player concussioned and won't allow him to return to the ice.

And that's why Semin was out there for the powerplay?

Not only that, but he didn't miss a shift.

#32 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:43 PM

Stevens was a big hitter, but he also took big hits. He retired due to PCS, and he didn't get those concussions from hitting people.[/font]

Wasn't the final one from taking a slapshot to the head?

#33 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:45 PM

Do you guys think Instant Replay is in the works for the NHL? Seems that the officials could sure use it with all of these plays under such close scrutiny. It's hard to tell without slow motion what actually happened. I feel like the NHL needs it at this point.

#34 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:49 PM

I'm not sure where you get the neck movement thing. This wasn't a "drive my car into the wall" collision. It was more like a bounce pass in basketball. Leblanc's angle of approach was not that different than the actual alignment of Semin's body. As for Semin going to the ice; he had just curled around at full speed receiving a pass, and was hit during this process and thrown off his skates. His body goes sideways towards the boards because of a little thing called centrifugal motion.

I don't believe he was hit hard enough to be thrown off his skates; the dude jumped. If anything, centrifugal force helped him elude any type of significant impact being delivered to the head.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#35 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:50 PM

And that's why Semin was out there for the powerplay?

Not only that, but he didn't miss a shift.

I meant that that's what's supposed to happen. I have no idea why Semin wasn't thrown into "the room".

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#36 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:56 PM

I meant that that's what's supposed to happen. I have no idea why Semin wasn't thrown into "the room".

Yeah, I guess what I mean is it should be cut and dry if you are laying on the ice and the other player is given a game misconduct it should be in everyone's best interest to check the well being of the player hit and have him taken to the room.

To me it's a no brainer, hopefully it would cut down on players embellishing if they know they can't come right back out on the ice, and make it so a player doesn't come back to the game too quickly ~ala Crosby.

#37 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:57 PM

Diving is certainly a problem that the NHL and their dips*** referees have helped fester in the league, as someone else mentioned, akin to soccer. This is nothing new as far as the NHL and it's system of refereeing is concerned as we know the number of years they put their whistles away before the lockout for hooking, holding, interference, and other types of obstruction.

Obviously it isn't more dangerous per se than head shots, dunno what OP was smoking when he said that, but I hope he meant that in this situation the obvious problem here is the dive more than the potential jab at the head.

My take is, in this particular play it's, at worst, a jab to the head -- so.. interference? Roughing? And going with the worst case scenario, it's still a huge embellishment and a really excessive penalty. How do you take the NHL seriously when you see this nonsense. Embarrassing.

If the NHL sees it has a problem, why not just address it and act on even keel? They're avoiding issues like diving but then overreacting to head shots. Is this bi-polar league?

Edited by Shoreline, 03 October 2011 - 06:59 PM.

#38 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:00 PM

Diving is certainly a problem that the NHL and their dips*** referees have helped fester in the league, as someone else mentioned, akin to soccer.

Obviously it isn't more dangerous per se than head shots, dunno what OP was smoking when he said that, but I hope he meant that in this situation the obvious problem here is the dive more than the potential jab at the head.

My take is, in this particular play it's, at worst, a jab to the head -- so.. interference? Roughing? And going with the worst case scenario, it's still a huge embellishment and a really excessive penalty. How do you take the NHL seriously when you see this nonsense. Embarrassing.

They have diving and embellishment in the NBA as well.

Hell, plenty of baseball players feign injury or contact with the ball on a pitch to get calls their way.

The NHL isn't a joke for having people who dive. It is simply one of many sports that have people who demean their respect around their respective leagues by diving.

Posted Image

#39 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:03 PM

Hell, plenty of baseball players feign injury or contact with the ball on a pitch to get calls their way.

The NHL isn't a joke for having people who dive. It is simply one of many sports that have people who demean their respect around their respective leagues by diving.

Which is what's so disappointing about it. Hockey for the most part has been free of most the crap that I don't like about other pro sports. Diving. Massive egos. unbelievable (and sometimes illegal) activities by players outside of the game.

#40 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:06 PM

The NHL is not a joke for having people who dive, that's correct, but it was not my assertion that the league is a joke just because people dive. They are joke because of how they handle diving.