• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Detroit # 1 Fan

How Do You Feel About The Southeast?

Rate this topic

Maybe this is a way to get the foot in the door, before NYI become Las Vegas and Detroit can slide into the Atlantic division.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. They'll take whatever, just to get into the East. Detroit in the Southeast doesn't make sense, but it makes more sense than Winnipeg in the Southeast. I think with so many teams in limbo and potentially moving, they may want to hold off a big realignment till that all gets settled. One thing for sure though, Winnipeg can't stay in the division they're in and if one team is moving West, one team West will move East and that team SHOULD be Detroit. I understand the arguments for Nashville and Columbus, but Detroit has been waiting to move East since before those franchises existed. Good things come to those who wait.

I don't really buy the travel argument. Everything they have is first class and 5 star all the way, plus they take naps before the games. I think after a year or two, they're used to the travel. Also I'm sure the Wings when they're playing at the Joe don't get to bed until 3am or later after they talk to the press, have a post game meal, drive back to the 'burbs, and eventually finally wind down after the game.

I know a lot of the Eastern Teams travel by bus. Personally I'd find a plane to be more comfortable. When traveling by a bus you can get caught in traffic and road construction. There's no traffic jams or road work in the skies.

I think the travel thing is more of an issue with the team than players. Being in the East the Wings can save money on travel, that's what the team wants.

Edited by Barrie

I don't really buy the travel argument. Everything they have is first class and 5 star all the way, plus they take naps before the games. I think after a year or two, they're used to the travel. Also I'm sure the Wings when they're playing at the Joe don't get to bed until 3am or later after they talk to the press, have a post game meal, drive back to the 'burbs, and eventually finally wind down after the game.

I know a lot of the Eastern Teams travel by bus. Personally I'd find a plane to be more comfortable. When traveling by a bus you can get caught in traffic and road construction. There's no traffic jams or road work in the skies.

I think the travel thing is more of an issue with the team than players. Being in the East the Wings can save money on travel, that's what the team wants.

It's about the East/West travel.

Being in the East means you don't have to play away games at 10:30pm, while the opposing team is playing their away games at 4:30pm.

HUGE difference there.

Solution: move Winnipeg to the Northwest, Minnesota to the Central, Detroit to the Northeast, Pittsburgh to the Southeast, and Boston or Buffalo to the Atlantic.

Any plan for re-alignment should also take into account Florida, Phoenix and New York's (Islanders) future. Maybe even Columbus.

These franchises are in trouble now and could potentially relocate within the next several years. Look how quickly the Thrashers skipped town.

Therefore, any potential re-alignment would have to be changed again.

It's about the East/West travel.

Being in the East means you don't have to play away games at 10:30pm, while the opposing team is playing their away games at 4:30pm.

HUGE difference there.

Yea I understand that, but like I said, they take naps before games. They're on different clocks and schedules than we are. The majority of us are up and out of the house before 8:00. They probably sleep till 11:00 or noon the day after games anyway. Also I'm sure a lot of them sleep on the plane.

Personally I don't think the travel is as bad as we think, it's part of the job, but that maybe easy for me to say. We have won 4 Cups despite the travel. I think it's more of a cost for the team.

I have a feeling the Southeast owners might not like this plan that much. Not to mention it doesn't make any damn sense other than getting us in the Eastern time zone. Unless, like people mentioned, Florida will be gone season after next and they're just looking for a temporary fix until there can be a big re-alignment.

I'd hate that, though. Attendance at the Joe would drop. Nobody wants to see games against Southeast teams. The team would get soft cruising to an easy division title, probably with record breaking ease. And then come playoffs they won't be in killer mode.

This team has struggled with that killer edge the past two seasons, and that won't get any better playing in the southeast. For the benefit of keeping the team in condition to compete, the team better either stay in the Central or move into the Northeast.

No divisions or conferences. Top 16 make the playoffs. Have the western-based teams play each other more often but have each eastern-based team have the same amount of west coast trips. An added benefit is that in the playoffs teams like Detroit won't necessarily have to travel more than other eastern-based teams. Plus, now any Finals matchup is possible, could have a MTL-TOR Finals(very theoretically).

Guest Crymson

I'll take it.

I have a feeling the Southeast owners might not like this plan that much.

I'm sure they'd be thrilled to have within their division the team with the #1 overall away attendance (99.9% last season) in the league. I'm sure the Panthers` and the Bolts` owners would be especially happy, given that there are Wings fans galore in Florida; whenever the Wings are there, it's virtually a guaranteed sell-out, and these are teams that are not doing great in home attendance numbers (87% for Tampa and 82% for Florida).

Not to mention it doesn't make any damn sense other than getting us in the Eastern time zone. Unless, like people mentioned, Florida will be gone season after next and they're just looking for a temporary fix until there can be a big re-alignment.

There are no signs that the Panthers will be moving.

I'd hate that, though. Attendance at the Joe would drop. Nobody wants to see games against Southeast teams. The team would get soft cruising to an easy division title, probably with record breaking ease. And then come playoffs they won't be in killer mode.

Really? People don't want to come to the Joe to see the Wings win? People don't want to see Ovechkin? How about the Bolts, who are a good, young hockey team with Yzerman in charge? The 'Canes, who are always competitive? And will the Wings really become soft playing against those teams? Even Florida might be decent this year, given how much they bought in the offseason.

This team has struggled with that killer edge the past two seasons, and that won't get any better playing in the southeast. For the benefit of keeping the team in condition to compete, the team better either stay in the Central or move into the Northeast.

I don't think "the killer edge" is the issue. If you don't think the boys tore Phoenix a new one and played their hearts out against San Jose (almost completing a historic comeback), then I'm not sure if you were watching.

Edited by Crymson