• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings87

Buyers Remorse

Rate this topic

In all honesty, I love the way White is playing. He's replacing an offensive-minded defensman in Rafalski. He wasn't brought here to make big hits or bring a physical presence. I think I lot of people forget how bad Rafalski really was on the defensive end of the ice sometimes. White is doing exactly what he was told to do when he came here, at an unbelievably good price. He's scoring and setting up plays every night. He's a big part of why we have one of the best offensive defenses in the league.

Look at our D this year. It hasn't lost us nearly the amount of games that it did last year. If anything, during our 5 game losing streak, it was our offense that couldn't produce. With respect to Brad Mcrimmon, we're looking a lot better defensively, and that's where it'll all pay off during the playoffs.

In all honesty, I love the way White is playing. He's replacing an offensive-minded defensman in Rafalski. He wasn't brought here to make big hits or bring a physical presence. I think I lot of people forget how bad Rafalski really was on the defensive end of the ice sometimes. White is doing exactly what he was told to do when he came here, at an unbelievably good price. He's scoring and setting up plays every night. He's a big part of why we have one of the best offensive defenses in the league.

Look at our D this year. It hasn't lost us nearly the amount of games that it did last year. If anything, during our 5 game losing streak, it was our offense that couldn't produce. With respect to Brad Mcrimmon, we're looking a lot better defensively, and that's where it'll all pay off during the playoffs.

I love the way White is playing as well. I think everyone knew that we needed help defensively. When you change from a offensive team to a defensive one, there are sacrifices that need to be made. White has been key in this turnaround for the Wings. He leads by example, and I love his physical style of D. In fact, he was a bargain pickup for the Wings. A lot better bargain than a few other defenseman that were signed in the off season for $5-$7 million per season.

Maybe I chose to ignore this thread earlier when it was started, but I didnt see it until now.

I will be the first to say that I have a man-crush on Ian White. I really liked watching him on the Loafs, and when he was on the Sharks it really burned me. His defensive play is excellent so far - and yes even during the bad streak. Positionally he is on top of his game. Obviously he is a smaller man so he has a bit of struggle with the bigger grinders. When you really break down some of his passing gaffs in our own zone it has more to do with him still fitting in and learning the defensive system here than "Lilja-esque" boneheaded plays.

Has anyone noticed how fast he can skate? There have been 2 occasions that I recall already where there was a break away and he came from behind the player to break up the play. He's not Helm, but he has under-rated speed.

Bottom line - Solid speed, excellent positional play, puck possession style, Schneider-like slapper. At a discount compared to other D-men available. I always thought that J-Wiz and Ian White were clones in this league - but obviously price separates the two, and we made out like gangbusters so far.

The only thing that I dont about Ian at this point is the fact that he took Maltby's number - too early in my opinion.

Guest Crymson

The only thing that I dont about Ian at this point is the fact that he took Maltby's number - too early in my opinion.

I don't doubt that Maltby was consulted first.

Guest Heaten

Is this thread for real? LOL! :D

This must be a LGWs troll thread...

OP looks pretty stupid now. Congrats :siren:

Just because you don't agree with the thread doesn't make it a troll thread. And furthermore if you don't have anything constructive to say to add to the discussion, why even post.

And just because White sacrificed his body on a hell of a play that saved a goal. Does not make him the find of the century. He definately has been playing better since this thread was started, which is what I wrote I was hoping for earlier in the post.

Guest Heaten

Just because you don't agree with the thread doesn't make it a troll thread. And furthermore if you don't have anything constructive to say to add to the discussion, why even post.

And just because White sacrificed his body on a hell of a play that saved a goal. Does not make him the find of the century. He definately has been playing better since this thread was started, which is what I wrote I was hoping for earlier in the post.

Who is a find of the century? I'd love to know...

White has been nothing but superb since joining the DRWs. He's fit in perfectly and has filled Rafalski's role very nicely. Best of all, his cap hit is very, very reasonable.

Who is a find of the century? I'd love to know...

White has been nothing but superb since joining the DRWs. He's fit in perfectly and has filled Rafalski's role very nicely. Best of all, his cap hit is very, very reasonable.

Lidstrom.

And in regards to your second sentence I thought I was the only one that felt that way. Glad to see White get some respect. Also, after thinking about it you are probably right about consulting Malts. If that's how it went down I am totally comfortable with it.

Guest Crymson

Lidstrom.

Yeah, because he was definitely able to make, say, Lilja great.

White has his own strengths.

Has anyone noticed how fast he can skate? There have been 2 occasions that I recall already where there was a break away and he came from behind the player to break up the play. He's not Helm, but he has under-rated speed.

I was saying this before he was signed; he's like Derek Meech, ramped up a couple notches. Same game, but plays it much better.

Bottom line - Solid speed, excellent positional play, puck possession style, Schneider-like slapper. At a discount compared to other D-men available. I always thought that J-Wiz and Ian White were clones in this league - but obviously price separates the two, and we made out like gangbusters so far.

J-(W)izz is closer to Mike Green than Ian White in playing style.

Lidstrom.

Didn't help White score 13 goals and 38 points over 83 games averaging nearly identical ice time as this season. His scoring has increased by a tiny bit; he would finish with 17 goals and 39 points if he played 83 games at his current rate. The big difference is his plus-minus. I have said for years that White might be the most underrated defenseman in the NHL. People suggest that the Phaneuf deal was a complete steal for Toronto, even though White outperformed Phaneuf the last two seasons. Phaneuf is having an improved season offensively but is still showing his same defensive issues.Toronto obtained prospect Keith Aulie in the deal, while two of the three forwards going to Calgary (Matt Stajan and Niklas Hagman) were Toronto's leading scorers. Fredrik Sjostrom and Jamal Mayers were in there also, but they were so ineffective on both sides that they don't really count. Neither is in the league anymore.

The big "steal" is the fact that none of the players involved are Flames anymore except for Stajan, who went from being a defensively responsible 50-point center in Toronto to Calgary's fourth line center. Hagman was waived and nobody wanted him. Mayers retired. White was traded for Anton Babchuk and Tom Kotsopolous, and then regifted by Carolina 39 games later for a second rounder.

So that's why it's a steal; because the West is harder to score in, and Sutter traded a skilled all-around defenseman for a big defensive defenseman and a fourth-liner.

Dion Phaneuf and Keith Aulie for Anton Babchuk and Matt Stajan? Hopefully for the Flames, Babchuk works out. It's still not a steal, even if Sutter is making bad deals and players are not working out.

And in regards to your second sentence I thought I was the only one that felt that way. Glad to see White get some respect. Also, after thinking about it you are probably right about consulting Malts. If that's how it went down I am totally comfortable with it.

Why does Maltby matter? Should they have consulted Larionov before Abs got #8? Or Sheppard before Hudler wore #26? Maybe Mark Howe before Kindl wore #4?

Yeah, when a guy has a three point night, I think to myself, "Aww man, why the hell is the team paying him 2.875 instead of that 5.5 for Wisniewski... oh wait."

They were talking about Sid's return, they should have been talkin' about the White Knight. With that full armor of his, he can block even more pucks with his face.

Edited by Jesusberg

Yeah, when a guy has a three point night, I think to myself, "Aww man, why the hell is the team paying him 2.875 instead of that 5.5 for Wisniewski... oh wait."

They were talking about Sid's return, they should have been talkin' about the White Knight. With that full armor of his, he can block even more pucks with his face.

So you think Wiz is kicking himself now? He's on a team that is out of the playoffs and still has to play 60 more meaningless games in front of half empty arenas. Good job Wiz, you got your payday, now you have to live with your decision.

So you think Wiz is kicking himself now? He's on a team that is out of the playoffs and still has to play 60 more meaningless games in front of half empty arenas. Good job Wiz, you got your payday, now you have to live with your decision.

Yea. Also didn't Wiz say something anti Red Wings before he signed with Columbus?

Yea. Also didn't Wiz say something anti Red Wings before he signed with Columbus?

Yea, basically claimed Detroit Red Wings lowballs there offers. Glad we got White at a huge discount, he skates really really well and shoots pretty good. I believe the other day they said White already achieved the same amount of goals so far this year than he did last year on 2 different teams. I think he enjoys playing for Detroit and along Lidstrom.

Yea, basically claimed Detroit Red Wings lowballs there offers. Glad we got White at a huge discount, he skates really really well and shoots pretty good. I believe the other day they said White already achieved the same amount of goals so far this year than he did last year on 2 different teams. I think he enjoys playing for Detroit and along Lidstrom.

Right, thanks.

I don't think the Wings low balled him, they just knew what he was worth.

I'm sure he's cool being a young rich dude.

White's market value was not very high.

It's because he was undervalued. Put up 36 points then 26 points while being tossed around to three teams and finished his season with 9 points in 17 playoff games for the Sharks last season. I'm glad he took below market value instead of follow the dollars. he's a real team player and a very under appreciated guy, even before he suited up for the Wings.