• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#21 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:54 PM

Ericsson's positioning could be a little better. Maybe he should participate in spatial awareness activities or something. Datsyuk with his "I know where you are" ability should teach him a thing or two about that.

#22 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:14 PM

I think he looks good tonight. the more physical he is the better.....still hasnt happened, but im praying for it.

#23 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:30 AM

Worst offensive player on the team.

Good thing he's a defenseman.

Seriously, if that's your knock against Ericsson, you're scraping the bottom of the barrel for things to ***** about. I mean, he may not be Kyle Quincey, but he's not as bad as you make him out to be.

Anyone who tries to argue that Ericsson has any offensive upside is wrong. Tonight is just an example of how awful his shot and instincts are. As a #6 big body who fights I don't mind him, but that kind of player isn't worth 3.25 mil.

Who has ever argued that? He's got a good first pass, but he's not an offensive defenseman.

#24 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:18 AM

but he's not an offensive defenseman.

Bad news is that he is. Good news is that he is progressing, albeit significantly slower than his first stints with the Wings led most of us to expect. He was better last year than in 09-10, and better again so far this year. This year, his offensive instincts (in terms of when and how to jump in) aren't really that far behind Kronwall or White.

If he could fix his horrendous shot accuracy and laughably slow wind-up on his slapper he could be a 40+ point defenseman. If he can't fix those problems, he'll likely never grow into his contract because he's never shown any signs that his positioning, shot blocking, anticipation, physicality, or reaction time are (or could be) any better than 3rd-pair level.

#25 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:20 PM

Bad news is that he is. Good news is that he is progressing, albeit significantly slower than his first stints with the Wings led most of us to expect. He was better last year than in 09-10, and better again so far this year. This year, his offensive instincts (in terms of when and how to jump in) aren't really that far behind Kronwall or White.

If he could fix his horrendous shot accuracy and laughably slow wind-up on his slapper he could be a 40+ point defenseman. If he can't fix those problems, he'll likely never grow into his contract because he's never shown any signs that his positioning, shot blocking, anticipation, physicality, or reaction time are (or could be) any better than 3rd-pair level.

According to who?

Ericsson has never scored 40 points in his career, let alone doing it in the NHL. He's a converted forward, but I've not heard or seen any real expectations of him to be an offensive producer for the Wings. His potential is to be a big physical puck moving defenseman who can kill penalties and clear the crease. Ideally sort of like Stuart but with a better first pass.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 24 November 2011 - 01:21 PM.

#26 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

He's got a decent pass and a hard slapshot. He's just horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE at using it. The average defensive defenseman can wind up a slapshot and have it hit somewhere near the net. Ericsson can't.

#27 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:23 PM

According to who?

Ericsson has never scored 40 points in his career, let alone doing it in the NHL. He's a converted forward, but I've not heard or seen any real expectations of him to be an offensive producer for the Wings. His potential is to be a big physical puck moving defenseman who can kill penalties and clear the crease. Ideally sort of like Stuart but with a better first pass.

Acoording to the way he plays the game. Just because he isn't very good at it doesn't mean that's not what he is. (Well, two-way defenseman would be more accurate, but his play definitely leans more toward offense.) Likewise, just because he's big and we all want him to be a Stuart-type doesn't mean that's what he is.

He probably should be, and getting him to change his style would probably be easier than fixing his shooting issues. That's just not how he plays right now.

#28 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:27 PM

Acoording to the way he plays the game. Just because he isn't very good at it doesn't mean that's not what he is. (Well, two-way defenseman would be more accurate, but his play definitely leans more toward offense.) Likewise, just because he's big and we all want him to be a Stuart-type doesn't mean that's what he is.

He probably should be, and getting him to change his style would probably be easier than fixing his shooting issues. That's just not how he plays right now.

I don't follow.

He's got some pretty good passing skills, but no shot to speak of really. Doesn't pinch much. Plays more of a stay at home style. Gets zero time on the power play but is 3rd on the team in PK TOI. What about the way he plays the game makes him an offensive defenseman? The only thing that really fits is his first pass.

To me a guy like Lebda fits that description much more than Ericsson. Lebda had good speed, decent puckhandling and would jump into the play and rush the puck up ice, usually only to panic and turn it over. He was an offensive defenseman who wasn't very good at it, and had weak defensive skills.

He's got a decent pass and a hard slapshot. He's just horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE at using it. The average defensive defenseman can wind up a slapshot and have it hit somewhere near the net. Ericsson can't.

I agree his slapshot is awful. It's something he could and should be working on, but has had zero improvement. Other than now at least he seems to realize how long it takes to get his slapshot off, so he takes it less.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 24 November 2011 - 05:25 PM.

#29 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:14 PM

Oh Ericcson, where did it all go wrong? I remember the 09 Playoff Run when you had oh so much potential. Now your just basically garbage

#30 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:41 PM

Whether anyone wants to acknoledge it or not, Ericsson has looked pretty damn solid. And he's getting his shot off quicker, and jumping up in the play with confidence. If not for good goaltending E would have a couple 3 goals already this season.

#31 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:47 PM

He doesn't really make use of his size, and he always looks like he's completely discombobulated.

I agree. It's like a boy going through puberty that grew 8 inches over the summer, and when he comes back to school he barely knows how to walk.

Ericsson doesn't use his size at all.

Although, I will give him credit, he's the only guy on the team willing to drop the gloves for his team.

#32 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:05 PM

Am I the only one who thinks E hasn't been that bad? Sure he still makes some boneheaded plays but it looks like he is playing a much safer game out there and not taking as many risks. He is also stepping up the physical game as i've seen him step up for some big hits and has had a couple good ones recently. All he needs to do now is not stand around with his dick in his hand in front of the net and clear the crease better.

I think he has been solid. Everytime I look at Wisneiwski, who everone wanted here, I an F$#$#@! happy that we signed E!
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#33 JoshuaW92

JoshuaW92

Finnish Wing

• 38 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:16 AM

If anyone knows hockey and actually watches Ericsson they would notice that he never is in position. His awareness is terrible. People can be parked in front of the net and you would think he doesn't know they exist. The biggest problem is how much he is being paid to do what he does. He doesn't contribute anything offensively and is mediocre at best defensively. I wouldn't have a problem if he was getting paid in the 1-2 mil range, but he is getting paid too much money to not contribute offensively. I think when we get to the trade deadline we should consider packaging him instead of Kindl in a trade. Kindl is cheaper and has been much more solid.

#34 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 03:43 AM

Although, I will give him credit, he's the only guy on the team willing to drop the gloves for his team.

Abdelkader?

#35 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:34 AM

Abdelkader?

I figured we'd see Abdelkader tilt with Tootoo tonight, especially when he started going after Stuart, of all people.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#36 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:13 AM

Abdelkader?

Kindl? (note, they didn't say fight well :P)

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#37 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:22 AM

I figured we'd see Abdelkader tilt with Tootoo tonight, especially when he started going after Stuart, of all people.

that would be a disaster.
Posted Image

#38 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:39 AM

If anyone knows hockey and actually watches Ericsson they would notice that he never is in position.
His awareness is terrible. People can be parked in front of the net and you would think he doesn't know they exist. The biggest problem is how much he is being paid to do what he does. He doesn't contribute anything offensively and is mediocre at best defensively. I wouldn't have a problem if he was getting paid in the 1-2 mil range, but he is getting paid too much money to not contribute offensively. I think when we get to the trade deadline we should consider packaging him instead of Kindl in a trade. Kindl is cheaper and has been much more solid.

They would also know, however, that a player's positioning, tactics, and ultimate playing style (as in what they do with the puck/their body, not necessarily the way they carry themselves), has an awful lot to do with doing what their coach tells them or risk getting benched for not listening. E has been pretty solid and has obviously warrented his place in the line-up according to the staff as he's not too big a 'star' to be sitting in the press box. If he was playing that bad, or was constantly out of position, he would be seeing less time. I think he's actually doing what he's told, rather than taking his initiative that may not as of yet have enough experience to be effective. Once he learns solid play by doing as he's told, it'll come more naturally. I'm ok with that.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#39 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:14 PM

I'm not one that likes to rag on Big Rig or anybody in general for that manner in a whipping boy status. I easily know what's bad with him by just looking in here, and like most whipping boys he's not as bad as advertised. He drives me crazy though pinching in the offensive zone, especially whenever the Wings have a comfortable sized lead taking unnecessary high risk plays.

#40 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:40 AM

He looked better last night. He scored a goal, which always helps, although I still have no confidence in his blue-line slap shot (something the Lidstrom, Stuart, White, and Kronwall all have).

He did take a penalty last night that Tampa converted on, but I was at the game so I couldn't tell if the penalty was BS or not.