• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

1/10 GDT : Red Wings 1 at Islanders 5

Rate this topic

I agree. If the Wings lose, it will likely come as a result of poor play. If the Wings win, it is expected.

It looks like Conklin is getting the nod- I'm excited. Howard has earned a rest and there are a lot of games in the coming weeks before the all-star break.

Being a little tired is no excuse for this. They are way too good to phone in a game against the third worst team in the league.

Being a little tired is no excuse for this. They are way too good to phone in a game against the third worst team in the league.

Obviously, the Wings don't listen to Babcock and never really have. It definitely showed last night. Certainly not the best motivator and never has been. He always tells the media how good the other team played after a loss to take some pressure off (him). And whatever made him think that Conklin was gonna have two consecutive good games in goal? I think Babcock is way, way overrated as a coach and it's been showing for the past couple of seasons. Of course, he has Holland to protect 'em but Holland isn't anyone to protect anybody. Curious to see what he's gonna do at the trade deadline. I mean really........what has he done lately to improve the team as much as the other GM's in the league have done for their teams? Not much when you think about it. Ian White......okay but what was that Commodore signing all about? And remember..........he let Hossa "walk" and that was a huge mistake. In retrospect..........the Wings aren't gonna win anything this season and probably not in the foreseeable future. Apparently, a change has to be made both behind the bench and "upstairs" as well. The Wings have a winning record attributed to just a handful of talented players and that'll get them just so far in the playoffs.

Edited by MSG

Guess I didn't miss much.

Yikes.

If you are talking about the game, no.

If you are talking about the LGW forum members hitting the panic button and laying blame on the lazy forwards, horrible goalie, coach, etc, that is also a no.

Surprised? I'm not. :D

Guest Hatethedrake!

Well at least that one's over with. We don't seem to get up for the Isles. The Wings are predictable though. We know they will play bad games like they did last night against the Isles. But we also know they will bounce back and get on a roll and beat some good teams. We're due for one of those streaks right about now I'd say. :thumbup:

Obviously, the Wings don't listen to Babcock and never really have. It definitely showed last night. Certainly not the best motivator and never has been. He always tells the media how good the other team played after a loss to take some pressure off (him). And whatever made him think that Conklin was gonna have two consecutive good games in goal? I think Babcock is way, way overrated as a coach and it's been showing for the past couple of seasons. Of course, he has Holland to protect 'em but Holland isn't anyone to protect anybody. Curious to see what he's gonna do at the trade deadline. I mean really........what has he done lately to improve the team as much as the other GM's in the league have done for their teams? Not much when you think about it. Ian White......okay but what was that Commodore signing all about? And remember..........he let Hossa "walk" and that was a huge mistake. In retrospect..........the Wings aren't gonna win anything this season and probably not in the foreseeable future. Apparently, a change has to be made both behind the bench and "upstairs" as well. The Wings have a winning record attributed to just a handful of talented players and that'll get them just so far in the playoffs.

Blow it up! Blow it up! :lol:

Umm... what? Oh, OK. So I guess they're the only team that ever plays bad games. Got it. Or maybe teams just sometimes play bad games and that's normal, and it happens to all teams. Yeah, that seems more likely.

And no, it's not an excuse. When you've gotten into professional hockey and played three games in four nights, get back to me and tell me how easy it is to play at 100% capacity in the second game, let alone in the third one.

Can you ever construct a post without talking down to someone? You make strong points, but ruin them by coming across as your opinion is the final say on any matter.

Sure, the Red Wings have bad games. No one is denying that. If you don't believe the Red Wings have a knack for playing down to opponents however, then I don't know what else to say. They have done it every season fairly frequently since 2008. I feel last night was an example of this and fatigue is an excuse.

The Red Wings had enough energy to play hard after falling behind to Chicago and that came a night after 40 minutes of intense hockey in Toronto. The schedule is tough no doubt, but they had no desire to work hard against the Islanders. Fatigue doesn't cause you to give up a ton of odd-man rushes or turn the puck over -- that's lack of focus and something that plagued the Red Wings the entire road trip, not just in New York. Their attention to detail defensively was poor the past four games especially at the start of games where fatigue really shouldn't be a factor.

I saw more emotion from Babcock applauding a timeout than any guy on the ice.

LOL, Islanders call a timeout with 20 seconds to go.

What did everyone think of the timeout? I thought it was pretty bush league, but maybe the Wings will have a more positive reaction after that.

Yeah it was pretty stupid but I'd rather look at it as something that can really piss off the Wings in a good way.

Back about 7 years ago, I was playing in a playoff game against another team. They were by far the best team in the league, and they were beating us pretty badly by the tune of 6-1. In the final 30 seconds, they called a timeout. I was furious, but I didn't show it. I just let it stir up inside while they were laughing at their bench. When we went through the handshake line, I punched the guy who called the timeout in the face with my blocker as hard as I could. It was the only time I got suspended in my rec hockey career, but that was so worth it.

I hope the Wings are about as pissed off as I was. :)

the worst thing about that incident is on the Islander feed one of the announcers was actually trying t defend that action, and thought there was no reason for Babcock should be that upset. Good thing the other announcer had a decent head on his shoulders and actually said its a bad play to call a timeout like the Islanders did.

I was at the game and I saw absolutely no reason for there to be a time out in that position. I mean come on, you are up 5-1. I see no need at 4-2.

Overall, I picked a terrible game to go to for my one Red Wing game of the year. They were playing well at time and had some near goals in the first period, but it seems like they were just tired and were not back checking and playing defense at all. They left Conklin out to dry and I am still having nightmares of that Islanders goal horn going off over and over and over again.

Rumor has it, the reason they called the time out was Capuano (sp?) was doing it because Babcock had made a comment before the game saying how we tend to write off teams that don't matter and that we don't show. Don't have a source of the comment or if it's true but that's the rumor...

Isn't Capuano the same coach who orchestrated that Islanders/Pens brawl last year, with Gillies' actions and all?

Back about 7 years ago, I was playing in a playoff game against another team. They were by far the best team in the league, and they were beating us pretty badly by the tune of 6-1. In the final 30 seconds, they called a timeout. I was furious, but I didn't show it. I just let it stir up inside while they were laughing at their bench. When we went through the handshake line, I punched the guy who called the timeout in the face with my blocker as hard as I could. It was the only time I got suspended in my rec hockey career, but that was so worth it.

Didn't know you used to be an enforcer.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Damn... I was not expecting that at all as I read that. Props. :thumbup: