• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:27 AM

i only watched it for datsyuk and he blew it in the breakaway.

******* waste

This. Only watched for a chance to see Datsyuk dazzle. I saw plenty of Patrick Kane, Corey Perry, and company (although mini-stick move should have won that event). Watch for two plus hours and what do I see? Datsyuk takes 15 seconds to spin himself dizzy around cones and then half-heartedly does his go to backhand-to-forehand move against a goaltender who was expecting it. Way to utilize the best talent in the whole fiasco. Should have had him in the passing event since Kane took forever, you can't tell me Pasha wouldn't have smoked him. They didn't even have him passing for accuracy or one-timers, he literally cooled his heels for the whole event.

No wonder players opt out. The game is one thing, but most of those guys during the draft, media day, and skill competition have to be thinking "I'm leaving my family for THIS?"

#22 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:36 AM

I didn't watch it at all. I simply cannot get into the All Star stuff! I wish the league would simply say these are the all stars this year and wrap that up at the end of the season. There is no reason for an all star break and all this silly hoopla. I'm certain the ratings will be down on the Skills Competition as well as the game itself.

I consider myself a huge hockey fan, and eventhough I am in the Detroit area I subscribe to Center Ice to watch as many games as possible, but I usually skip out on the all star stuff. It simply doesn't interest me or the average hockey fan. Sorry to be a hater. :)

#23 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:22 PM

I can't be alone in saying this is a complete waste of time. It's so cheesy and catered way too much to the non-regular hockey fan.

I dont get the negs for this comment because it was pretty brutal imo but the problem I personally have about bitching about it is I dont have a solution for fixing the level suck that it has. The NHL is not the NBA but the players seem to be confused via Gary Bettamn on what they should be doing out there...At times it looked more like a circus then seeing the best hockey players in the world on one pad of ice.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#24 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

I didn't watch it or see any highlights, I went go karting last night, so can't comment.

I'm not watching the All-Star Game either, Seinfeld and Pawn Stars is on :hehe:
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#25 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:58 PM

I dont get the negs for this comment because it was pretty brutal imo but the problem I personally have about bitching about it is I dont have a solution for fixing the level suck that it has. The NHL is not the NBA but the players seem to be confused via Gary Bettamn on what they should be doing out there...At times it looked more like a circus then seeing the best hockey players in the world on one pad of ice.

Agreed.

While I did enjoy the actual game today, the overall production value of the whole event (and also the NHL Awards in the summer) is just so poorly executed that it just makes the NHL look so bush league. It makes me seriously wonder not only who is doing the marketing, but who on earth are they trying to market this TO?

Like other poster mentioned, my biggest problem was not having the most skilled players actually compete in the skills competition. I know I'm a Wings fan, so obviously I want Datsyuk in every event, but the overall format is anything but a "skills competition". There is no rhyme or reason to any of it, and the majority of the players basically spend 3 hours sitting on one knee smiling politely.

Ah well, the game was fun though. Pavel and Jimmy both played well, but neither of them looks good in any color other than red. :cool:

Edited by hooon, 29 January 2012 - 07:59 PM.

Posted Image

#26 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:31 AM

I like it. If it was just showing off and being a goof at the beginning I wouldn't watch as much (and I do like that part - they get creative and as long as players aren't showing up others to make them mad and it's all in good joking fun, all for it), but I'm glad they also put an event at the end as well where they are serious about the shootout as well.

No problems with it. And if it brings in more fans that don't watch hockey, more power to it. Me as a hockey fan already and most others in here will probably be at least tuning in with some interest regardless.

#27 wingsdiehard13

wingsdiehard13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:59 AM

I like it. If it was just showing off and being a goof at the beginning I wouldn't watch as much (and I do like that part - they get creative and as long as players aren't showing up others to make them mad and it's all in good joking fun, all for it), but I'm glad they also put an event at the end as well where they are serious about the shootout as well.

No problems with it. And if it brings in more fans that don't watch hockey, more power to it. Me as a hockey fan already and most others in here will probably be at least tuning in with some interest regardless.

I do agree that the end was better. When I posted it was during the beginning with all the props and the goalies weren't making any kind of effort. Just seems petty to me.

**Thanks Offsides**
**Thanks TeeMan**

#28 kozac

kozac

another soft russian

• PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

a bunch of grumpy old men here.... the whole all star thing is for the kids. It's not all that bad. When I was a kid with no deal and had nothing better to do I was excited for it and watched it and thought it was pretty cool. It's not that it got worse now, it probably got ever better, but I just grew out of it.

#29 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,376 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:58 AM

I have no problems with it, I think it's fun watching it.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#30 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

The skills comp. is actually the only thing I watch on all-star weekend. I think its fun to see these guys show off a bit and have fun. Saying that, anyone else a little skeptical about Alfie and, to a lesser degree, Spezza's slapshot speeds? I know the NHL doesn't mes around like the KHL by doctoring the record speeds, but I find it really hard to believe Alfredsson can shoot the puck 5MPH more than Phaneauf....If he can, all the power to him, but I never expected the guy to get over 100MPH, especially considering his age and the tiny stick he uses. Crazy...
When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#31 RedBengals

RedBengals

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

My younger brother and I had some fun watching it, since I was home for the weekend. I mean, yeah it's sort of goofy, but if you just enjoy it as a fun diversion before the game the next day it's a lot of fun. Yeah, the breakaway challenge was goofy as hell, but in a fun way. The ministick thing was funny. Besides, they have the serious shootout later, which also didn't dissapoint, even if Datsyuk got eliminated right away. The relay was sort of neat, though I was surprised it seemed so hard to hit those targets with how clean passes look in game. The fastest skater problems I agree with, a lap would be better. Also, I prefer target shooting to be accuracy based not time based, but that's a personal complaint. Overall, it's a cool thing to do for the kids, being able to see all their hockey heroes out doing fun stuff like that. And it's better than just having the game Sunday and that being it. I would also like to say, it's nice they wear their team jerseys Saturday for the skills stuff.

#32 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,884 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:26 PM

I watch it, but just because there is no real hockey on. I don't really care for it, but I don't have anything against it. All in all it's an okay event and it looks like most everyone was having fun, and I think that is important with what these guys go through during the year.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling, $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, Glendening, Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: Glendening.  MOTB TOTAL: $0

#33 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:36 PM

a bunch of grumpy old men here.... the whole all star thing is for the kids. It's not all that bad. When I was a kid with no deal and had nothing better to do I was excited for it and watched it and thought it was pretty cool. It's not that it got worse now, it probably got ever better, but I just grew out of it.

That seems to be the consensus so far. I guess we all grew out of it.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#34 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

As I grew up, I always thought the players took a lot of pride in being all-stars for all sports. As in, they all really wanted to go to be able to say they were an all-star year after year.

Was I just naive or is the fact that some players make an effort to avoid the all-star game a relatively new phenomenon?

#35 RedBengals

RedBengals

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

Was I just naive or is the fact that some players make an effort to avoid the all-star game a relatively new phenomenon?

In my opinion, most guys there seemed to have fun. But, I think really Ovechkin was the only one to turn it down and with how his seasons been I can see him not being into it. I think there was some guys there that didn't really wanna be, but I think the majority of players seemed to be having fun with it.

#36 stevieisthebest

stevieisthebest

The Captain

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:51 PM

The skills comp and all star game aren't for us, assuming "us" are very knowledgeable hockey fans that already love the sport. It's for the non-hockey fans as a way to gain fans. Even then, i enjoy the all-star weekend. I think its cool to see the guys out there having fun. An all-star game was never meant to be all that competitive, thus we see no checking or fighting etc in the games. It's a way for the fans to vote on players and for the players to have fun. I understand why Lids didn't go, cause he's already been to a thousand. Jimmy on the other hand was thrilled to be invited. Playoff hockey is for "us" not the all-star game, if you dont like it, dont watch it, but appreciate what it does for the young and new fans out there.
"15,395 Days since they won the cup...3 seconds left, THE DETROiT RED WINGS ARE THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!"

"Lemiuex was hammered by Darren McCarty, and he is being helped into the locker room."

Thanks Steve! #19
Thanks Nick! #5