• Please log in to reply
1018 replies to this topic

#121 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Am I the only one who thinks the Kings aren't deep on defence at.. all? Trading Johnson would be crazy, even with Voynov or whatever his name is in the minors.

Doughty-Scuderi
Mitchell-Voynov
Greene-Martinez

That is AWFUL! I don't care if Carter gets his game back, or if Quick stands on his head. That defence cannot get the job done IMO. Also if Columbus aren't getting Bernier back in the deal I'll be surprised as to what Howson is thinking. He won't get a goalie of that calibre or better without paying a Kings ransom.

#NOMOREKINDL

#122 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Helene Elliot of the LA Times also reports Carter for Jack Johnson and a 1st Rounder, but nothing offical yet.

#123 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

According to Cap Geek:

2009-10 Detroit Red Wings: Spending = $58,827,920 Cap Space = $0
2010-11 Detroit Red Wings: Spending = $59,497,095 Cap Space = $44,155
2011-12 Detroit Red Wings: Spending = $59,119,568 Cap Space = $4,730,432

Well ya, it isn't difficult to predict Holland being inactive at the deadline with a whopping $44k in the bank last year! We also had to sign Lidstrom, Ericsson, White, as well as plan for Kronwall's raise in that year/off-season. You're able to call them "trends" because there simply hasn't been money to spend on UFA's/RFA's without throwing in a player or pick in trade; now there is money. This isn't conjecture or speculation either, it's cold, hard numbers.

Going into next season the Wings will have Pav, Hank, Mule, Flip, Cleary, Bert, Eaves, Miller, Mursak, Emmerton, Ericsson, White, Kronwall, Kindl, Howard, and MacDonald ALL locked up for at least one more year. And if Cap Geek is correct, the Wings will have $22 million in cap space to sign players.

Assuming as you are, that Suter, Weber, Parise, or any other big name player won't be pursued, is just your opinion based on the dealings of a GM who hasn't had the money or roster spots available to him. Now he has both.

I never once said Holland won't pursue these players so stop making things up. Holland had a buttload of cap space to work with this offseason and didn't use it to replace Rafalski. He got Ian White for a great deal. Holland goes for great deals. Signing these big name players aren't going to be good deals. But I digress. You'll see once the trade deadline has come and gone and once next season begins how right I am. Go Wings?
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#124 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:23 PM

Nick Kypreos ‏ @RealKyper Reply Retweet Favorite Open
#SNtrade. Plenty talk with #Stars Steve Ott. Teams that showed interest include #Canucks #Leafs #Flyers. Stars want significant piece back
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#125 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

Nick Kypreos ‏ @RealKyper Reply Retweet Favorite Open
#SNtrade. Plenty talk with #Stars Steve Ott. Teams that showed interest include #Canucks #Leafs #Flyers. Stars want significant piece back

And my reply: Tim Denninger ‏ @tdenninger
@RealKyper tell the red wings to show interest.... haha

#126 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

Bob Mckenzie said on Tradecentre that Dustin Brown is involved in trade talks. Not related to Carter trade talk though.

#127 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

Bob Mckenzie said on Tradecentre that Dustin Brown is involved in trade talks. Not related to Carter trade talk though.

dustin brown would be exactly what the wings need

14 Fighting Majors

#128 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

I never once said Holland won't pursue these players so stop making things up. Holland had a buttload of cap space to work with this offseason and didn't use it to replace Rafalski. He got Ian White for a great deal. Holland goes for great deals. Signing these big name players aren't going to be good deals. But I digress. You'll see once the trade deadline has come and gone and once next season begins how right I am. Go Wings?

"buttload of cap space"? Is that an exact figure or more guess work on your part? Holland didn't spend that "buttload" for two very apparent reasons:

1) There were no defenseman available for his price that could replace Rafalski. Candidates include Ehrhoff (10yr/$40mil), Wisniewski (6 years, $33mil,), Kaberle (3 years, $12.75mil), Jovanovski (4 years, $16.5mil). Teams that paid those players were desperate for defensive upgrades. The Wings were not desperate, thus, no overpayment. In fact, they chose to "overpay" Ericsson, one of their own rather than dump him and go chase one of the aforementioned players.

2) He was saving that "buttload" for...wait for it...this exact time of the year! Had he spent that money last year, this conversation might not even exist.

Saying "signing these players aren't going to be good deals" is more guess work. You have "0% chance" of knowing anything regarding what the Wings will offer these players or what they are looking for.

You're out of your element Donny.

Edited by Esquire, 23 February 2012 - 08:27 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#129 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

Quote me on it. Bet me on it.

friends, i would advise against betting him on it. he will end up asking mods to have your posts deleted to remove the evidence.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#130 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

carter to la done per dreger

14 Fighting Majors

#131 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hmm... Who on the Canes/Ducks could the Wings possibly want?

#132 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:42 PM

Done pending physical.

#133 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

Hmm... Who on the Canes/Ducks could the Wings possibly want?

Teeeeeeemu

#134 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

Detroit interested in Samuelsson and Moen, per Bob Duff on twitter.

#135 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

friends, i would advise against betting him on it. he will end up asking mods to have your posts deleted to remove the evidence.

Never have, never will. Your opinion, as always, is a valued gift. As you were.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#136 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

Mikael Samuelsson... Ah memories.

And Moen? I thought he was more or less off the market.

#137 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

Teeeeeeemu

Doesn't seem all that plausible to me though.

If they're looking at the Canes, then I wonder if they have any interest in Anthony Stewart. Even though he was just on waivers not too long ago for a reason in which I'm not aware.

#138 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Dustin Brown is available.

I would make him the top target in my mind.

I still would want Selanne if available. Brown would help us a ton, but I don't know if the Wings have what the Kings want. Would likely need a three team trade...

Without a first... I don't think we could make anything happen.

Maybe they would take Quincey back now for Brown?!? :ph34r:

Edited by Majsheppard, 23 February 2012 - 09:11 PM.

"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#139 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:06 PM

dustin brown would be exactly what the wings need

Yes! A younger Brendan Morrow type. Get er done Kenny.

Edited by achildr1, 23 February 2012 - 09:12 PM.

#140 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

Please no Sammy, please. Holland's probably gonna go after Lilja and trade our 2013 1st rounder for Mattias Ritola. Ugh.