• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WhattheDellio

Is little brother worthy?

Rate this topic

So yes I am a St Louis Blues fan and have been for a long long time. I can tell you that despite a good regular season I still look at the West and the team that looms bigger than any is your beloved Detroit Red Wings. This is a perfect case of big brother little brother. The Wings have owned the Blues in terms of actual success for a long long time.

Prior to the cup runs of the past 13 or so years that the Wings made I think both teams were just ok and it was very even but in the past 13 years the Wings have become a monster and that monster is there agin this year.

I am not here to patronize but simply show some respect for a franchise that has stayed at a very high level for a very long time.

So here is the food for thought. Is this version of the Blues the one to finally take the Wings out in route to a long playoff run and perhaps at least reaching the Stanley cup? Or is it the Same old Blues.

The reason for hope IMHO is the defensive play and strong goaltending (with depth) on the Blues.

The reason for concern is lack of experience and lack of high end stick handlers aka stars on the Blues.

Thoughts?

The way the Wings have played these last 6 weeks I wouldnt be confident in a playoff series vs the Oilers if we didnt starton home ice - so yeah, the Blues are more than capable of beating the Wings if both teams keep heading in their respective directions.

The big thing allot of people question with the Blues is how they will handle adversity - aside from being swept by Vancouver a few years ago the young core of this team has very little post-season experience. If a stingy team with a hot goalie in the first round (ala Pheonix or LA) manages to steal a game or two right off the bat how will the Blues respond? Its tough to tell. Theyve has an amazing year and bounced back from loses very quickly - but most wont have faith in this team as a serious threat until they can show that they can grind their way through a few playoff series and bear the burden of high expectations a top seed brings with it.

The way the Wings have played these last 6 weeks I wouldnt be confident in a playoff series vs the Oilers if we didnt starton home ice - so yeah, the Blues are more than capable of beating the Wings if both teams keep heading in their respective directions.

Respective directions? Detroit hasn't had a stable team in a month plus. Howard in/out. E out. Lids out. Mule out. Datsyuk out. Bertuzzi out. Eaves still out. MacDonald out. For a while, I would have put the injured lineup against a lot of teams- Eaves-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi, Lids-E, Howard. Can you seriously tell me that any team can withstand those losses and not struggle? I see three all-stars from this year.

I'd argue we can't infer much of anything from March, simply because it's not the same team. Unless, that is, you think Smith, Mursak, Nyquist, Conklin and Kindl are representative of the day-to-day quality of the play.

Blues are a better team than they were two years ago, where they entered the playoffs full steam having the best record in the NHL the final 2 months or so and proceeded to get toasted in the first round - but they still largely lack playoff seasoned players. I'd be astonished if they won the Cup this year or even made the finals. If this is a championship club, you might see a deep conference run this year, with better results the following year(s) once the entire team knows what prolonged postseason play is all about.

I never get too upset when the Wings crap the bed at the end of almost every single regular season, because they are loaded with veterans who do know to hold back before the big dance (as frustrating as that can be for fans), but inevitably are able to flick that switch on for the playoffs. Blues seem to have been in playoff mode most of the year - they very well could have more playoff success in the future with less regular season success. See the '95-96 Wings teams vs. the '97-98 teams.

Edited by egroen

I agree that a team needs to have a deep run and not win to be truly hungry enough to go all the way.

The one thing I will say is there are no absolute road blocks in the entire league this year.

The trick will be to be able to beat 4 tough teams over a long grueling month and a half.

BTW we have some experience added in the past 12 months with Langenbrunner and Arnott.

Thanks for the responses.

Right now Detroit is playing like s***. I hate to say it but it's the truth. So yeah I would expect the Blues to win...

That said, if there's one thing I've ever learned watching the NHL it's that the playoffs are a whole different animal. Anyone can win any game, and how your season went (or how portions of your season went) don't necessarily determine how you play in there.

Guest irishock

The way the Wings are playing, you could say the same thing about them.

This is the most wildly inconsistent Wings team I've seen in a while.

No. This is the most inconsistent year in terms of injuries. The Wings prior to the injury bug played incredibly consistent, top notch defense and a great PP.

Let's wait until we have the core (Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Zetterberg and Howard) together for a few more games and then see how it goes. This team can still make it far in the playoffs if healthy, even as a 4th seed.

Edited by irishock

No. This is the most inconsistent year in terms of injuries. The Wings prior to the injury bug played incredibly consistent, top notch defense and a great PP.

i disagree. all season long the wings have had 5-6 game winning and losing streaks. they have played poor when healthy and great when injured. its just been random...

OP - only time will tell on the blues. the biggest thing you need is consistency. can't be like the hawks and be a one hit wonder... personally, i think the blues have a lot going for them. lots of players that still have a lot of room for growth and progression. the key will be transitioning away from having to get top notch goaltending every night. you cant expect to have 2 goalies that are like top 5 in stats. the other key will obviously be managing the cap as these young players progress.

Let's wait until we have the core (Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Zetterberg and Howard) together for a few more games and then see how it goes. This team can still make it far in the playoffs if healthy, even as a 4th seed.

It can't all be chalked up to injuries. This is a team who looks like like they can beat anyone one night, then gets blown out by the Isles or the Habs the next night. They dominate at home, then lose on the road. The best the PP has achieved has been middle of the pack. That's not a great PP.

You can explain away part of the recent losing streak because of injuries, but it's been happening all season long. And not because of injuries. All teams get injuries.

The Blues are a hell of a team, no doubt about it.

Having said that, if the Wings were to play them in the playoffs, I would be pretty confident (assuming the Wings show up).

The absolute dream scenario for me would be Dallas in the first round, St. Louis in the second. The way they're playing right now though, they'd get swept by Edmonton.

Edited by Trapt1307

Given how horribly inconsistent the Wings have been lately, a lot can be contributed due to injuries, other factors such as want/desire as well, I don't feel all that confident regardless who they play right now.

Given the league these days as well, pretty much no series is a guaranteed win regardless of if it is a 1-8 or 4-5 matchup.

That being said though, while I've barely seen the Blues play, even though they don't light the lamp much, they seem to have the work ethic to make a deep run in the playoffs, even if their roster isn't that full of stars on paper. Whether they get worn out from busting their tails all season to get where they are at present after a slow start, who knows.

I'd like their chances to make at least a deep playoff run given their work ethic, assuming injuries don't hit or they receive bad puck luck/bounces.

Puff puff pass...I want whatever you are smoking if you thing we had a great PP this season.

That said, the playoffs are a different animal...and with long injury outrages it does take a little bit to get back into the swing, for both the injured player and his line-mates.

The Blues definetly have a great chance to beat the Wings this season in the playoffs if the two teams meet. St. Louis has come a long way since the Wings Vs Blues last visit in the Playoffs which I believe was 02. Teams are really building through the draft these days and the Blues have been a big part of it and that's one of the keys to success at least IMO. Both teams are very strong teams if they play up to their full potential and give 100% and it would be a good series but in the end the Blues seem to have a bit stronger team this season and would probably go further. So Little Brother has steped up since the teams last met and become somewhat of a big brother now. I really could see the Blues and Rangers in the Stanley Cup Finals this season, not saying I think that's what's gonna happen but I wouldn't be suprised if it did.