• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

I think Holland needs to go if anything.

#22 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,080 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

Do you by any chance have a bookmarked list of free agents and players with one year left on their contract?

I do not, but capgeek.com gives a detailed list of players at all positions that are FA this summer.

#NOMOREKINDL

#23 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

Babs gets one more year with a better team. Holland needs tof****** wake up or he should be gone. I'd revisit the assistant coach position however....

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#24 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

Babs gets one more year with a better team. Holland needs tof****** wake up or he should be gone. I'd revisit the assistant coach position however....

Well that's also a big thing... do you think Mr.Ilitch will let go of his right hand man Kenny Holland? I personally don't.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#25 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

It's pretty obvious Scotty Bowman needs to be associated with this team in some way if they are going to be champions again.

#26 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

Sounds like right about now we need Stevie Y to make his grand return to Hockeytown this off season.

We sent him to Tampa so he could practice right?

#27 Cali-Wing-Nut

Cali-Wing-Nut

Guppie Hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

I dont think bigger gets you urgency. We have played like slugs compared to other teams in other series.

Maybe your right the Mike is pissed and hasnt put his heart into the way he would with a team he wants.

So where is the answer? We get a new GM and a new D. Does Franzen and Z wake up and start producing again?

We are back to the same common denominator and that is Babs.
I'M WRECKING SHOP!!!

#28 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

It's pretty obvious Scotty Bowman needs to be associated with this team in some way if they are going to be champions again.

He's too busy with Chicago.

"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

#29 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

The thing that sticks out to me is that Babcock seemed pissed about Holland's moves, or lack thereof, last summer. I have a hard time faulting him when Holland seems content to take no chances to patch obvious holes. He's afraid to move anyone. Maybe if guys were a little more afraid about getting traded or not getting re-signed, they'd put a little more effort into their game and play smarter. Just an idea. I'll give Babcock a pass for another year or two to see if Holland actually shows up and does his job to give Babcock the best team possible.

-Elliot

#30 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

this is the best team hes coached in his eyes since 09

That's not saying much.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#31 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:06 PM

That's not saying much.

whoaaaaa don't quote me out of context! Posted ImagePosted Image

"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

#32 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

Babcock isn't the problem and Holland isn't the problem. The problem is that Datsyuk and Zetterberg aren't the players they used to be and Franzen is a no show. Hudler isn't sucking but he certainly isn't playing great (though props for his goal tonight). Filppula is playing solid but can't carry the team. The simple fact is that our team has little offensive strength anymore.

#33 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

One more thing. I don't like Babcock's style of offense at all. It seems like all we do is triangle offense or cycle to some guy open in the corner to shoot while no one is in front of the net.

I'm a huge fan of the crash the net offense. Burst into the zone with speed. maybe a pass or two. Throw it on the net and have the three forwards charging there looking for rebounds. The point is that we will make our own breaks and create scoring chances. They might not always be top quality, but at least they will be scoring chances instead of mindless cycling.

#34 Cali-Wing-Nut

Cali-Wing-Nut

Guppie Hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:11 PM

One more thing. I don't like Babcock's style of offense at all. It seems like all we do is triangle offense or cycle to some guy open in the corner to shoot while no one is in front of the net.

I'm a huge fan of the crash the net offense. Burst into the zone with speed. maybe a pass or two. Throw it on the net and have the three forwards charging there looking for rebounds. The point is that we will make our own breaks and create scoring chances. They might not always be top quality, but at least they will be scoring chances instead of mindless cycling.

+1 for you. That sums it up perfectly.
I'M WRECKING SHOP!!!

#35 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

Babcock isn't the problem and Holland isn't the problem. The problem is that Datsyuk and Zetterberg aren't the players they used to be and Franzen is a no show. Hudler isn't sucking but he certainly isn't playing great (though props for his goal tonight). Filppula is playing solid but can't carry the team. The simple fact is that our team has little offensive strength anymore.

Wrong and wrong. The problem is not Datsyuk and Zetterberg. While you can make an argument that datsyuk is more predictable than he was previously, you cannot say that he declined his skill. He had a great injury and quite frankly noone knows that he has recovered fully from that incident. Same as to zetterberg, I think overall the Wings have just become too predicable and it hurts us in the long run. Look at our powerplay, otherwise. Babcock went out to find new coaches for a new style because things weren't working, well quite frankly... we probably won't see their potential until a year or two in the NHL.

"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

#36 stevie for president

stevie for president

Red Blings

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:18 PM

Not the coaches' fault, look what they have to work with. In all honesty our top line has an old, worn down Bertuzzi and a shell of what used to be Franzen. To make matters even worse, Zetterberg has to lift Hudler and Flip on his bad back. Our 3rd and 4th lines are HORRIBLE, some of that due to injuries but also some of that due to not making a trade at the deadline and not signing any free agents. Our defense is an old Lidstrom who isn't playing like Lidstrom (he looks VERY slow out there with his bad ankle and all) and a career journeyman Ian White. Kronwall and Stuart are playing good hockey but Stuart's foot is out the door, and Ericsson-Quincey I thought have been pretty good but I'm probably in the minority there. Our goalie has been below average since his finger injury and there's no backup to throw in to change things up.

I hate to sound so pessimistic, but Holland needs to make some SERIOUS changes this off season. Sadly, his post-lockout track record doesn't make me feel like that will happen.

#37 Cali-Wing-Nut

Cali-Wing-Nut

Guppie Hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:19 PM

Look at our powerplay, otherwise. Babcock went out to find new coaches for a new style because things weren't working, well quite frankly... we probably won't see their potential until a year or two in the NHL.

Quite the optimist?

Our special teams are the laughing stock of the whole NHL. If we give them a chance to see their "potential" Im gonna look for a new sport to watch in the winter, snow shoeing is pretty exciting compared to our power play..
I'M WRECKING SHOP!!!

#38 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

Quite the optimist?

Our special teams are the laughing stock of the whole NHL. If we give them a chance to see their "potential" Im gonna look for a new sport to watch in the winter, snow shoeing is pretty exciting compared to our power play..

N'ville is probably GLAD when we go on the power play. "OH thank god, two minutes where we don't have to worry about them scoring".

If they just keep the two point men open then all we'll do is pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass mishandle out of the zone the whole time.

Edited by CrimsonFlame, 17 April 2012 - 11:25 PM.

#39 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

Wrong and wrong. The problem is not Datsyuk and Zetterberg. While you can make an argument that datsyuk is more predictable than he was previously, you cannot say that he declined his skill. He had a great injury and quite frankly noone knows that he has recovered fully from that incident. Same as to zetterberg, I think overall the Wings have just become too predicable and it hurts us in the long run. Look at our powerplay, otherwise. Babcock went out to find new coaches for a new style because things weren't working, well quite frankly... we probably won't see their potential until a year or two in the NHL.

I'm not saying the problem is Datsyuk and Zetterberg, I'm just saying there is no denying that they're not the beasts of 07, 08 and 09. Look at how many shots Datsyuk misses. He's still a great player, I'm jsut saying our offense is not nearly as good as it used to be.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 17 April 2012 - 11:25 PM.

#40 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

^ Holland and Nill hate fighting in hockey and have said so much on record. They will never build the team you and I want.

esteef

Holland I could believe, though I'd still be surprised he'd admit it. But Nill? Are you sure?