• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
pucktividi

Off -Season Game Plan:Detroit Red Wings

Rate this topic

Guest irishock

My question is what if Detroit not able to sign Suter or Stuwart.Then what do they do,with Smith they would have only 5 d-men.

Kronwall-White

Ericsson-Quincey

Kindl-Smith

Poile named the stage of negotiations with Suter "very constructive". That's a bad sign.

Naw, that's what management says when they've heard the players terms and are trying to figure out how to counter with terms of their own. If they were close to signing a deal they'd say so. It's in their best interest for everyone to think that a deal is close to completion, if indeed it is.

Guest Johnz96

Holland wouldn't stand pat with that defense. Carle, Wideman, Kuba. Even Allen. One of these players would sign.

To succeed with the salary cap you need young players who are bargains against the cap like Ryan McDanagh (another teammate of Smith and Schultz having great success in the NHL,, because he was afforded the opportunity playing over 26 mins a game in the playoffs and over 24 mins a game in reg season), Oliver Ekman-Larrson and Slava Voynov.

People think we need 6 proven vets on D, the final 4 teams in the playoffs didn't. Not only were McDanagh, Larrson and Voynov contributors to their teams' success but those teams also have Peter Harrold, Mark Fayne and Alec Martinez as regulars on their D

Edited by Johnz96

To succeed with the salary cap you need young players who are bargains against the cap like Ryan McDanagh (another teammate of Smith and Schultz having great success in the NHL,, because he was afforded the opportunity playing over 26 mins a game in the playoffs and over 24 mins a game in reg season), Oliver Ekman-Larrson and Slava Voynov.

People think we need 6 proven vets on D, the final 4 teams in the playoffs didn't. Not only were McDanagh, Larrson and Voynov contributors to their teams' success but those teams also have Peter Harrold, Mark Fayne and Alec Martinez as regulars on their D

True. But that’s where Smith and Kindl come in. If Holland has between 20 and 26 Million in cap space then he can afford to add a guy like Carle or Allen, no sweat. And Holland likes to build the team from the D out. Knowing Holland, he’ll add veterans to the defence. Really, that’s all I’m saying.

True. But that's where Smith and Kindl come in. If Holland has between 20 and 26 Million in cap space then he can afford to add a guy like Carle or Allen, no sweat. And Holland likes to build the team from the D out. Knowing Holland, he'll add veterans to the defence. Really, that's all I'm saying.

I know I've said this in other threads but I like Carle and Allen as additions to this team. Especially if Suter ends up getting hugely overpaid. I liked them both a lot more when I thought Lidstrom was still coming back, but I think think we can field a real good defense with just those two acquisitions (plus resigning Quincey). Ryan Suter is good and all, but we've now got to replace two defensemen. If I can get Carle and Allen for the same (or less) than I'd pay for Suter, I'd take it in a second.

Players I DON'T WANT to see sign in Detroit: \

Jiri Hudler, Kyle Quincey, Ty Conklin...

I think Hudler will price himself out of Detroit's range, and obviously there's no need for Conklin to come back. But I disagree with you about Quincey, especially with Lidstrom leaving. Without re-signing Quincey we've only got 3 quality d-men signed plus unknown quantities in Kindl and Smith. I REALLY don't want to have to replace 3 defensemen in one year. Plus, after a year's worth of training camp and a steady partner Quincey is only likely to improve. Plus plus, letting him walk basically means flushing a first round pick down the toilet.

Admittedly, he didn't play well down the stretch or in the playoffs. But the guy is obviously not hopeless, and provided he returns to his previous form, could be very useful for a team short on defense moving forward.

I think Hudler will price himself out of Detroit's range, and obviously there's no need for Conklin to come back. But I disagree with you about Quincey, especially with Lidstrom leaving. Without re-signing Quincey we've only got 3 quality d-men signed plus unknown quantities in Kindl and Smith. I REALLY don't want to have to replace 3 defensemen in one year. Plus, after a year's worth of training camp and a steady partner Quincey is only likely to improve. Plus plus, letting him walk basically means flushing a first round pick down the toilet.

Admittedly, he didn't play well down the stretch or in the playoffs. But the guy is obviously not hopeless, and provided he returns to his previous form, could be very useful for a team short on defense moving forward.

No, not even...Holland HAS to qualify him with a contract since he is a RFA, or he will become a UFA. He made $3.125M last season, and that is all Holland has to offer him to "qualify" him. He will probably not accept that contract and will look elsewhere for more. If he signs a contract offer ANYWHERE ELSE in the salary range of $3,013,435 to $4,520,150, Holland gets compensated with a 1st AND a 3rd round pick if Holland does not match...nothing personal, just business. Especially if Holland lands Suter and maybe picks up another NHL ready #5/#6 defenseman... If they sign Quincey for $4M, then I think that is flushing the first rounder down the toilet. On this team, Quincey is just not worth $4M...IMO. Especially if he is going to be #4/#5/#6 ranked...he is more valuable on another team, especially if Holland lands Suter...You could never TRADE Quincey for a first and a third, but since he is an RFA due to make upwards of $4M, you may as well take the compensation...

Are there any teams with weak defence that are desperate enough to sign Quincey sacrificing 1st and 3rd picks?

Detroit. And they don't have to give up picks.

Obviously they'll be trying to make some big offseason moves, but right now without Q the defensive corps is Kronwall, White, Ericsson, Smith, and Kindl. That's pretty scary.

Guest Johnz96

Are there any teams with weak defence that are desperate enough to sign Quincey sacrificing 1st and 3rd picks?

He is better than most of the guys on these 2 defenses

Doughty, Greene, Voynov, Mitchell, Scuderi, Martinez, Drewiske

or

Salvador, Zidlicky, Harrold, Fayne, Volchenkov, Greene, Larrson.

Maybe one of those teams would do it

Edited by Johnz96

Guest Hatethedrake!

This is a line-up based on Kenny overpaying UFAs when it gets nuts on July 1st. Even factoring this in, the Wings are in great shape this summer.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($8.500m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($1.500m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.250m) / Travis Moen ($2.000m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($8.500m) / Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m)

Ian White ($2.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.500m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Josh Harding ($1.500m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,708,712; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $591,288

Guest Hatethedrake!

^^^^ Montreal said they are looking to keep Moen around, obviously as well as Suban and Price. There was an article online about it but I cannot remember where I read it... :blink:

I heard the same thing. It doesn't have to be Moen. Prust, Konopka, Campbell are also available as UFAs.

Give me some Jarret Stoll. Guy is all heart.

I would just want to point out I wanted him at the deadline, he wouldn't have costed much.

In other news:

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive

Wings' Holland spoke with Jiri Hudler's agent last week, prepared to make offer, but Hudler still deciding if he wants to hit free agency.

Retweeted by Kukla's Korner .com

Jones got 4M so Hudler will want at least that but he will get more from some other team so no way he is resigned.

I would just want to point out I wanted him at the deadline, he wouldn't have costed much.

In other news:

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive

Wings' Holland spoke with Jiri Hudler's agent last week, prepared to make offer, but Hudler still deciding if he wants to hit free agency.

Retweeted by Kukla's Korner .com

Jones got 4M so Hudler will want at least that but he will get more from some other team so no way he is resigned.

SAY-NO-TO-HUDLER!