• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Din758

Semin signs one year, $7m deal with Carolina

Rate this topic

This signing DOES indeed show that Semin just wanted money...The Olsen Twins have a slim to none chance to win the Cup in Minny, but in Semin's case, slim just left the building... Too bad Holland is afraid to spend any Cap (unless it is an aging, returning Swede.)

Guest RedWingsDad   
Guest RedWingsDad

We'll probably make the playoffs, but I disagree that our division rivals got worse. St. Louis is roughly the same team they were a year ago, Chicago is too, and Nashville really only lost Suter (unless Kostitsyn and Radulov matter). I'd say overall we got noticeably worse on defense, Nashville got slightly worse on defense, and St. Louis and Chicago are the same. It's not going to be easy to win our division this year without some real surprises.

I did say that our division rivals got worse or stayed stagnant. ;) I get your points... and I would agree that overall we took a step back at this point, but just not as much as a lot of people portray, and certainly not so much as to predict we will miss the playoffs. One thing that doesn't seem to register with some is that we did get better up front. I believe our biggest problem up front was never skill... but agitation, toughness, and size. Hudler lacked all three of those qualities and we upgraded him with Sammy... and we added Tootoo, who certainly possesses those three qualities (he is not tall, but bulky). I honestly can't wait to see our offence next season... I only hope we pick up Doan (however unlikely) to add another layer of grit.

Edited by RedWingsDad

It's not panicking and oh no the sky is falling. It's our roster sucks, and what are you doing, Ken?, and hey it'd be nice to compete for the Cup this season but that's not happening which is stupid.

Too many high horses around here, if anything.

Our roster sucks but Semin makes us a contender?

Yeah, something is way too high...

I did say that our division rivals got worse or stayed stagnant. ;) I get your points... and I would agree that overall we took a step back at this point, but just not as much as a lot of people portray, and certainly not so much as to predict we will miss the playoffs. One thing that doesn't seem to register with some is that we did get better up front. I believe our biggest problem up front was never skill... but agitation, toughness, and size. Hudler lacked all three of those qualities and we upgraded him with Sammy... and we added Tootoo, who certainly possesses those three qualities (he is not tall, but bulky). I honestly can't wait to see our offence next season... I only hope we pick up Doan (however unlikely) to add another layer of grit.

I do think Sammy is an improvement, and our bottom six is better, but I've thought for the last three years that our top six lacked...legitimate top sixers. On most nights we lose the match up game. I'm excited about what the kids can bring next year, but I still can't help but think that any top six we throw on the ice isn't as good as most top six groups for the elite teams. Plus, our group can't really solve the really tough defenses in the league. Most have figured out how to keep us away from the net and on the outside. I don't think Nyquist, Brunner, or Sammy really help us in that regard.

That said, Cleary and Bert on the third line is a mismatch against most teams in the league, and huge years out of Franzen, Flip, and Helm could make us better than we look on paper.

We'll make the playoffs, but without noticeable improvements from the guys mentioned above, and better than average rookie performances out of the kids, I have serious doubts about how far we go.

From Yahoo! Sports

So how did Rutherford and his staff go about freeing their minds about the Semin rumors? Plenty of research.

During an availability with media Friday morning Rutherford said that he spoke with Semin's former coach in Washington, Bruce Boudreau during the Draft. Other Hurricanes executives reached out to former players, former coaches and former scouts to get their opinions on the 28-year old Russian. Their takeaway? "The positives much outweighed the people that had a negative experience with him," said Rutherford.

Rutherford already had his own opinion on Semin having watched him score 27 times and post 45 points in 41 career games against the Hurricanes -- the most for Semin against any NHL team. The team also used analytics in weighing their decision, as detailed by head PR man Mike Sunheim'sTweets after the signing was announced. They didn't allow the perception about Semin to cloud their judgement in whether or not to pursue him.

"Part of getting a bad rap as a player is sometimes because of the player and sometimes because of the mix of players that's on that team," said Rutherford. "The mix of players on a team sometimes starts to push a player away."

The 1-year deal, Rutherford said, is an opportunity to see if the move is a fit for both sides. Next summer Semin will once again be an unrestricted free agent and with a good season will attract plenty of attention around the NHL, as well as offers from the KHL.

What a perfectly logical way to go about signing someone to a 1 year deal. I wonder if the Red Wings even did any research since they didn't even seem interested. Like I said, it's af****** joke. This is about as Win-Win as you can get in today's current market. Your "highest paid player" argument is funny though.

From Yahoo! Sports

What a perfectly logical way to go about signing someone to a 1 year deal. I wonder if the Red Wings even did any research since they didn't even seem interested. Like I said, it's af****** joke. This is about as Win-Win as you can get in today's current market. Your "highest paid player" argument is funny though.

Great read. And the mind-boggling thing about Semin's reputation for the most part, besides the inconsistency and possible lack of commitment (which isn't foriegn to any team, the Wings included) was that Semin was basically an introvert. We're not talking about someone who fought with his teammates or was constantly making a spectacle of himself, its that in his previous environment he just didn't fit in. From all accounts, he seemed to not pal-around much with his former teammates and was probably a bit of an outcast. He was quiet, wasn't great at speaking English, and hadn't made much effort to learn.

How does THAT poison a team, especially one of the Wings constitution, and so much so that it outweighs his on-ice potential? Its over. Its done with. Still don't understand it.

How does THAT poison a team, especially one of the Wings constitution, and so much so that it outweighs his on-ice potential? Its over. Its done with. Still don't understand it.

You're paying a player and giving him top line minutes to be a terrible example in the locker room. It does poison a team, he couldn't even help the Capitals get to the conference finals. Semin is not a player that will help you win a cup, so what would be the point in signing him? He takes horrible penalties, he refused to learn English for years, Arnott even said in an interview he requires a lot of attention from the team for guidance. I see a similarity with Alexei Kovalev, supremely talented player that will end up moving team to team in hopes that he can reach his potential, which never happens.

Carolina went for Semin after they failed to land Nash, they have no expectations to win a cup,what's interesting is they are taking revenuesharing funds(20 million) and bidding up players like Parise/Suter/Doan/Semin etc.Carolina is just spending money to inject a franchise with news. They aren't making good hockey moves, they are just trading away talent for names (the Staal trade), and bringing in an overpaid, underachieving 50 point player.

http://www.canada.com/sports/baseball/Teams+that+poor+should+part/6901107/story.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/jason-arnotts-been-talking-to-semin/2011/03/11/ABNXbyQ_blog.html

Edited by Carman

Our roster sucks but Semin makes us a contender?

Yeah, something is way too high...

Did I say Semin makes us a contender? No. In fact, earlier today I said Semin shouldn't be the highest paid player on any team - and I stand by that. Thanks for playing, though.

Edited by Dabura

From Yahoo! Sports

Well that's not fair. How can you expect Holland to do research while he's been vacationing in BC the last week? Obviously all the work he's done during the offseason so far has made him quite tired.

Sorry, not to derail the thread but 6000 posts for me!!!! :yahoo:

Ok, carry on with the topic....

Semin is gone, but at least he didn't go.....yep......prematurely! :hysterical: Sorry.....

Edited by LeftWinger

Did I say Semin makes us a contender? No. In fact, earlier today I said Semin shouldn't be the highest paid player on any team - and I stand by that. Thanks for playing, though.

I apologize for not researching your every opinion on Semin, and assuming your statement, "it'd be nice to compete for a Cup this season", in a post crying about not signing him meant you believed he would allow our roster (which "sucks") to do so. In the future I'll try to be more dilligent so as to better recognize the hyperbolic rantings of the frustrated headline addicts.

Guest The Axe   
Guest The Axe

We're not getting Ryan. Or Doan. Or Yandle. Holland is content with what he has.

Howard will not win 30 games then.

20 bucks? Injuries included.

Not putting money on it with injuries, but I'll just save this thread here and see what happens later. If he's healthy I don't see Howard getting less than 30 wins.

Guest The Axe   
Guest The Axe

Not putting money on it with injuries, but I'll just save this thread here and see what happens later. If he's healthy I don't see Howard getting less than 30 wins.

Ok. For pride is fine. Just trying to remove subjectivity. Not trying to jinx him or sucker you. 5 bucks?!