• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Din758

Semin signs one year, $7m deal with Carolina

Rate this topic

Looks like we're playing with the team we've got. Maybe, just maybe we can trade a top six forward and a prospect or pick for a better top six forward, but no way does Holland trade for a defenseman now. Our top six is already a little weak, no way does he move Franzen or Flip out and not bring another top six back in. And considering those two are about the only really valuable trade assets we've got, I'd say we're playing with the roster we've got now, plus one bottom pair defenseman (from somewhere, UFA?). So be prepared for a really exhilarating season if all the kids step up, we get better than average play from our veterans, and Datsyuk and Zetterberg play like they did four years ago. Short of that, my guess is another playoff appearance, another early exit, another chance to get what we need in free agency next year, and another year older.

Could be worse, but then again, since when was losing in the playoffs good enough in Hockeytown?

Edited by kipwinger

I bet NBC Sports can't wait for the season to start and try and sell commercial advertising space! All the big named free agents signed with small market teams.

So $7 Million for one season? If Semin has a big year, what will he ask for next off season?

Our bottom 6 is a huge improvement and our top 6 is upper end in the NHL with two rookies playing in the top 6 anything can happen... If they perform well we could have a deadly top 6 with tons of depth on every line... Our forwards are fine. Everyone is basing our offensive ability based on the worst streak heading into the playoffs of memory. The wings have had one of the better offenses in the leaugue for a long time and we have only gotten better. That streak and the first round of the playoffs have made you forget about the other 60 games.

Holland is curled up in the fetal position sucking his thumb crying out "why wont anyone take less money to come to.Detroit anymore!?!?"

Holland....if you dont land Doan and trade for Ryan, you need to quit.

I don't understand why people want Doan. He's already 36, and we'd have to over pay and sign him for 3 years, no thanks. We already have a player like Doan in Bertuzzi, and a lot of people don't like Bert.

Let the kids play!

Our bottom 6 is a huge improvement and our top 6 is upper end in the NHL with two rookies playing in the top 6 anything can happen... If they perform well we could have a deadly top 6 with tons of depth on every line... Our forwards are fine. Everyone is basing our offensive ability based on the worst streak heading into the playoffs of memory. The wings have had one of the better offenses in the leaugue for a long time and we have only gotten better. That streak and the first round of the playoffs have made you forget about the other 60 games.

Yea our forwards are fine. I think people should go over to a website that shows the depth chart. Our forwards have a good mix of experience and styles of play. We can play 12 forwards with 10+ goal potential, there will be no let up!

What we need is another defenceman, that is all.

Better them than us. At 7 million he can stay far away, I get that we have the money to spend but there's no way i'd drop that much into Semin. I'd rather sit on the money, have an average season and spend it next offseason on someone who's gonna play like they want to be here. With a one year contract Semin's give-a-s***ter will be at a low like it has for the past couple seasons, and i'd be very surprised if he broke 60 points in Carolina.

He just wasn't the guy we needed and Holland recognized that and didn't dump an ungodly amount of money into him out of panic. I say +1 for Holland on avoiding this one.

Guest The Axe

Optimism is one thing. Homerism is another. We need a #1 dman and 2 wingers who can bury it. All preferably right handed. Problem now is that they have to come thru trade. And that means we only make monor improvements when we need major ones. Unless Brunner and Nyquist turn out to be Shanahan and Larionov & Smith turns out to be Fetisov , we are gonna watch a lot of losses this year.

Truth. Dats, Zett, Franz, Filp, Nyquist, Bert, Sammy, Brunner, Cleary (healthy) are ALL guys that can slot in an have success as a top 6 role. We should have 3 offensively potent lines up front with a hell of a grind line with Miller, Abby, and Tootoo.

1 steady UFA dman (preferably a shutdown instead of a s***ty offensive guy) and big years from rookies or guys expected to be given longer leashes (Quincey + Ericsson) and we could all be pleasantly surprised. Im not walking around with my chest puffed out this summer but we shouldnt throw the towel in on Kenny - OR the team just yet.

Im getting stir crazy as anyone - but Im gona try and relax for now. If were out of the playoffs in december then I wont throw Kenny under the bus ... Ill drive it!

Even as we sit we aren't a non-playoff team and i'm confident in that. Thrash me all you want if the playoffs roll around and we fall short, but I think all the disappointment this offseason is sparking a bit of panicky delusions that we are now a bad team. Only thing that would have changed if we had Semin is Franzen would have gotten some of the heat taking off of him from being lazy and we would now have a new whipping boy to replace Hudler. I hate to say "I Guarantee" but I bet at the end of next season some people around here will be breathing a sigh of relief that we didn't piss away 7 million on Semin.

Optimism is one thing. Homerism is another. We need a #1 dman and 2 wingers who can bury it. All preferably right handed. Problem now is that they have to come thru trade. And that means we only make monor improvements when we need major ones. Unless Brunner and Nyquist turn out to be Shanahan and Larionov & Smith turns out to be Fetisov , we are gonna watch a lot of losses this year.

We don't need Smith, Brunner, and Nyquist to all be superstars, they just need to get the job done, and I think they will. Nothing wrong with being optimistic in our youth for once and not take the spoiled path of signing a superstar to replace one that just retired all the time. This isn't pre-cap hockey anymore.

Guest Crymson

Optimism is one thing. Homerism is another.

Oh, this old, tired, arrogant argument again. Believe it or not, it's possible for people to disagree with you without straying into the realm of delusion.

Guest Crymson

Semin signs for big money, but no term, so no risk and yet, nothing because we were waiting on Doan. And surprise surprise, Wings are out of the Doan bidding because its gotten to high. Imagine that, half the teams in the league courting and waiting on one guy and he is too expensive? Golly...

Holland was never interested in Semin. There's no indication that this had anything to do with Doan. Your speculation has no basis. As for Doan, would you like to have a near-40 winger locked in at $6m for multiple seasons with the cap likely to be reduced by the new CBA?

I've never seen so many people ***** and whine, that we DIDN'T sign an overpaid, unmotivated, slacker.

Are we that desperate for a new whipping boy???

In other news, it's only July, we have until late February to see who we can bring in to finish out our roster. There's no need to get out your pitchforks and torches, just yet. Hell, they may not even have a season this year. First things first.

So what's left for Detroit? Doan and a possible trade for Ryan? It's interesting that Semin didn't sign with the Red Wings. Either Detroit didn't offer him a contract good enough or he didn't want to play in Detroit. I can't imagine why Holland wouldn't extend a one year offer Semin's way. There's ample cap space and virtually no way to spend it now. What would have been the harm in signing a former 40 goal scored to a 1 year deal worth $7 Mil? If he tanks, so what? You lose the money that was going to go unspent? Big deal. Low risk, high reward situation. I'm surprised this didn't get done.

The Wings didn't make an offer from what I've read.

They were waiting on Doan and were only interested in Semin if that fell through. I think Babcock was a big part of not signing him, I can't imagine he'd want anything to do with Semin as much as all of us fans wanted him.

Sounds like Doan is out too so either they are giving the prospects a chance to play this year or there is going to be a trade soon.

Guest Crymson

It's interesting that Semin didn't sign with the Red Wings. Either Detroit didn't offer him a contract good enough or he didn't want to play in Detroit.

Perhaps you should try reading the abundantly available evidence to the contrary.

Edited by Crymson

There is a reason Holland, and almost every other gm for that matter, didn't want him. The reasons why have been talked about to no end. I don't think this a case of a player getting a bad rap or being unfairly characterized either. His issues are real. Detroit has some terrific young talent and the last thing you want is to bring this guy in and be a cancer to them. No need to cut your younger guys playing time for this bozo. You'd have been better off keeping hudler for 4 mill and get the same production without the issues. Besides, even without his issues, is this guy really a top 6 forward with the guys you already have?

Borderline perhaps?

And sure, a one year contract is less risk. But 7 mill is a risk. Really wanna pay this guy more than anyone else on your team? What happens when its time to renegotiate and re-up datsyuk and zetterberg after you give semin 7 mill? And just because holland has 13 mill doesn't mean he should just bring in anyone. What happens if semin's play is horrendous and he is a locker room cancer? Everyone would be ready to kill holland for bringing him in. Nobody is gonna say he was worth it just because you had cap room. I have 36 bucks in my pocket right now but I'm not rushing out to spend it on something im not sure about before midnite. Who knows, tommorrow i may run across something that i really do like and I'll be able to get it without hitting up the ATM.

Babcock would rather deal with our current roster than add a potential 40 goal scorer and someone to develop mad chemistry with Datsyuk?

Who says he'd have mad chemistry with Dats? He might not. Could be a bust. People were all big on him coming here to play with Dats in the view that they would both tear up the league. That's not guaranteed.

Also I don't quite agree that it's low risk as everyone says. Because although we've got the cap space, we could have been paying him $7m+ to do jack. He could have continued to waste his talent and then would have been out the door next year having got his money. Just the opposite side to the argument. At least we know from experience that a guy like Doan, even at 35, would give his all every shift. And yeah he's a lot older but it never stopped Lids or Rafalski or Ozzy (although his body gave up really), or all the other veteran guys we had when everyone said we were too old.

I'm not really upset we didn't get Semin, but yeah would have been happy/wary/reserved judgement if we did. Just a little annoyed that nothing has been done to fill the biggest gaps. That being said Holland is probably trying to work something good that doesn't cripple us.

Holland was never interested in Semin. There's no indication that this had anything to do with Doan. Your speculation has no basis. As for Doan, would you like to have a near-40 winger locked in at $6m for multiple seasons with the cap likely to be reduced by the new CBA?

I'm well aware Holland showed no interest in Semin, which makes his signing a one-year contract all the more irritating. My point with Doan isn't that we shouldn't have dropped out of the running; we were right to do so. My point was that it was obviously going to come to that since half the league has been waiting on this guy since July 8th.

We could have gotten a premium goal-scorer as a one-year rental for nothing more than capspace, but we weren't interested. Semin could have either been a bum, while providing more scoring and being off the books in a year, or he could have surprised many and changed his game and attitude for the better. We'll never know. I get that we aren't willing to "overpay" (a term steadily losing meaning) especially with any term involved, so why have we been waiting on Doan for 3-weeks when it was obviously going to come to Phoenix or bidding war, instead of taking a "risk" on a one-year deal with Semin.

The Wings needed multiple top-4 defensemen, and yet only tried for one, Suter, while every other guy signed elsewhere for "overpayments". Suter leaves on hanging with no options. At forward the Wings have less need, unless you count the fact that D and Z have been shouldering the load on the team for far to long without legitimate goal-scoring wingers and we had cap to spare. Still, we try for Nash and then for Doan, lining up behind everyone else in the league, all the while knowing we can't "overpay". Seems a bit futile going after the big fish with the wrong test.

I'm not completely surprised, and in some instances it seemed to have been out of our hands, but Semin isn't one of those cases. Like I said in chat yesterday: this off-season has been like the scene from a Beautiful Mind where Russell Crowe explains that if they all went after the hottest girl at the bar, they would all likely strike out and go home alone, but if they all went for her slightly less hot friends their chances are much better because they actually appreciate the interest.

Wings and everyone else courted the prettiest girl at the dance, but since they aren't willing to pay the price, failed to get something they could afford instead. The off-season started with Parise and Suter, and if not them, Garrison, Doan, Semin, maybe Nash in a trade and at least bring in someone like Salo or Carle for help. I mean we have over $20m in cap and the best GM in the league, what could possibly go wrong? :P

Holland was unwilling to compromise, which is his biggest strength, and this off-season, his biggest weakness.

You do realize that once you sign a guy for way more than he's worth you can't legitimately pay the rest of your team fair-market value when their contracts are up, right? If Holland breaks the salary structure to bring in someone who isn't a bonefide superstar he's f***ed when Datsyuk, Filppula, Smith and Nyquist are up for re-signing.

I get your point,but didn't he pay Ericsson last year or lately Tootoo and Gustavsson fair-market $$$ ?

The Wings brass simply don't like the guy it seems.

This one Holland should have been in on. 1 year is ZERO risk. 7mill we have easily. This was a complete failure to make our hockey team better with little risk. I'm tired of all the holland defenders who are saying we shouldn't overpay for him. IT WAS A ONE YEAR DEAL. We aren't close to the cap ceiling. Realistically this should have been done.

"Holland was unwilling to compromise, which is his biggest strength, and this off-season, his biggest weakness." This sums this offseason up for me. Holland can pass on certain bad deals like long term overpaying for Carle, Wideman but a one year deal for Semin would have made so much sense regardless of character issues you think he may have.

Wrong. I know what you mean, but a 1 yr deal of ANY amount is not the same as a long term commitment like the ones given to 13, 40, or even 93. Semin would've been a mercenary no different than Hossa.

I think comparing bringing Hossa on for one year and bring Semin on for one year is a horrible comparison. In fact the only thing that the two situations have in common is one year term and $7m+ salary. Hossa was the best UFA that year, he turned down much better offers to play with the Wings (in fact his agent said "'I have never been involved in a deal and seen a player get so excited to take $85 million less than he was offered elsewhere,' Winter told The Canadian Press. 'It's almost incomprehensible, even to an agent. But Marian is a special player.'" ), and neither his work ethic or his attitude had ever been questioned. Semin on the other hand was not tops on anyone's list, couldn't get a multiyear deal (at least not a good one), didn't turn down better offers (I assume), and is constantly questioned and trashed over his work ethic and attitude.

Really wanna pay this guy more than anyone else on your team?

This, I imagine, is what it reallly came down to. I think the "team salary cap" (i.e. no one gets paid more than Datsyuk) is kinda wack, but in this case, I'm ok with it. Semin should NOT be the highest paid player on any team.

It's 100% about salary structure. Holland will be negotiating with a few guys on extensions this year and that would be really tough to do if you just signed a guy with a terrible rep and hilariously declining production to the highest cap hit on the entire team...

Normally I agree, but when it's a one year contract and they're headed into a new CBA, I don't know that it's as relevant because it'll be a whole new ballgame when negotiating. I guess it might still be a sticking point for guys he was thinking of signing on a one year deal next season, but I don't know that's the case with any of the players who will be free agents.

Like I said, I'm just surprised Holland showed no interest from the get go.