• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Din758

Semin signs one year, $7m deal with Carolina

Rate this topic

Franzen had 2 more points than Semin in the same number of games.

$3 million less? Are you comparing Franzen's cap hit on his 11 year deal to Semin's on a 1 year deal? Not exactly apples to apples. Franzen was paid $5.25 mill last season. Semin was paid $6.7 mill

Either way Franzen's caphit is lower, and he's proved to be much much more productive in the post season.

I wonder if Illitch is tightening the purse strings a bit. It's really unusual for the Wings to just sit on $13 million. I know there aren't many great players out there, but at this point it wouldn't hurt to increase our depth with some bottom players and hope someone has a lucky year and plays above their skill set.

Since there doesn't seem to be any movement for a top defenseman or a top forward.

Wow... you have to admire Semin's agent. Let's look at his history:

1st contract after rookie year: 4.6mil cap hit, 2 year long, Washington

08-09: 62gp / 34g / 79pts (1.27pt/g , 0.55 g/g)

09-10: 73gp / 40g / 84pts (1.15 pt/g, 0.55 g/g)

RFA contract: 6mil cap hit, 1 year long, Washington

10-11: 65gp / 28g / 54pts (0.83 pt/g, 0.43 g/g)

1st UFA contract: 6.7mil cap hit, 1 year long, Washington

11-12: 77gp / 21g / 54pts (0.70 pt/g, 0.27 g/g)

2nd UFA contract: 7 mil cap hit, 1 year long, Carolina

12-13: lol

Who wouldn't want to keep getting raises as your reward for plummeting performance? Semin's goals per game was half his established peak level two years prior and only 63% of where it was the year before.

Now top all that off with constant grumbles across the league about his poor attitude. Hilarious stuff.

I wonder if Illitch is tightening the purse strings a bit. It's really unusual for the Wings to just sit on $13 million. I know there aren't many great players out there, but at this point it wouldn't hurt to increase our depth with some bottom players and hope someone has a lucky year and plays above their skill set.

Since there doesn't seem to be any movement for a top defenseman or a top forward.

To be honest I think it has a lot to do with the cap uncertainty at this point. Holland doesn't want to swallow a poison pill contract just yet.

Wow... you have to admire Semin's agent. Let's look at his history:

1st contract after rookie year: 4.6mil cap hit, 2 year long, Washington

08-09: 62gp / 34g / 79pts (1.27pt/g , 0.55 g/g)

09-10: 73gp / 40g / 84pts (1.15 pt/g, 0.55 g/g)

RFA contract: 6mil cap hit, 1 year long, Washington

10-11: 65gp / 28g / 54pts (0.83 pt/g, 0.43 g/g)

1st UFA contract: 6.7mil cap hit, 1 year long, Washington

11-12: 77gp / 21g / 54pts (0.70 pt/g, 0.27 g/g)

2nd UFA contract: 7 mil cap hit, 1 year long, Carolina

12-13: lol

Who wouldn't want to keep getting raises as your reward for plummeting performance? Semin's goals per game was half his established peak level two years prior and only 63% of where it was the year before.

Now top all that off with constant grumbles across the league about his poor attitude. Hilarious stuff.

To be honest I think it has a lot to do with the cap uncertainty at this point. Holland doesn't want to swallow a poison pill contract just yet.

Which is exactly why I'm happy he didn't come here.

Hey... Kenny's been busy too ya know. He landed us a D-Man in Brennan Evans!

Career AHLer looks like, but he's a big guy at least.

Source: http://www.tsn.ca/nh...ature/?id=25880 (I swear this was the only place that I saw any mention of it)

It was on the WIng's homepage. http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=638537

He's got good size, but can he dance at NHL level?

But the Suter deal could've been exactly that, and Holland made the offer.

A one year deal for Semin is among the lower risk contracts you could get.

Like I said, I'm just surprised and a little confused Holland wasn't even interested. Just seeing what Semin could do with Datsyuk and on the PP seems like enough incentive to at least kick the tires a little.

If he stinks it up, then it's money lost and some cap room that right now looks like it's not getting used anyway. Unless Holland's still got a trick up his sleeve.

But the Suter deal could've been exactly that, and Holland made the offer.

A one year deal for Semin is among the lower risk contracts you could get.

Like I said, I'm just surprised and a little confused Holland wasn't even interested. Just seeing what Semin could do with Datsyuk and on the PP seems like enough incentive to at least kick the tires a little.

If he stinks it up, then it's money lost and some cap room that right now looks like it's not getting used anyway. Unless Holland's still got a trick up his sleeve.

Woah woah, you can't compare a Suter deal to Semin. Suter has no past issues in attitude, and has produced consistently every season.

Woah woah, you can't compare a Suter deal to Semin. Suter has no past issues in attitude, and has produced consistently every season.

Read the post I was responding to. I'm not referring to the player, but the size of the deal as the league heads into CBA negotiations.

A deal the size of Suter's could've had much larger ramifications if they adjusted the cap than a 1 year deal with Semin ever would.

Read the post I was responding to. I'm not referring to the player, but the size of the deal as the league heads into CBA negotiations.

A deal the size of Suter's could've had much larger ramifications if they adjusted the cap than a 1 year deal with Semin ever would.

But at least the money wouldn't be wasted on a player that hasn't proved himself to be a good teammate. and would fill the need of a top pairing defenseman.

But at least the money wouldn't be wasted on a player that hasn't proved himself to be a good teammate. and would fill the need of a top pairing defenseman.

Like I said, I wasn't referring to the players really.

Though even considering that in context of the cap, if for some reason they were to rachet it down without allowing rollbacks or buyouts, the Suter deal would still have had much greater implications. Semin would be a lousy deal for a year. Suter's could've crippled the team for over a decade, yet Holland was willing to get involved.

So I don't think his avoiding Semin had to do with the CBA negotiations is my point.

If Holland sits on his $13 million, there is absolutely NO reason why we shouldn't have made the same offer or better to Semin. A one year deal carries no risk and will only motivate the kid to be a team player so he can cash in next off season. It's tough to say if Holland actually has a plan with the money or if he's striking out on all these opportunities. I am praying to Buddha our next headline isn't that we've just signed Andreas Lilja to lucrative multi-year dear.

One year, zero risk. Nothing but upside

On a one year no risk deal with the amount of cap space we have, I'd be happy to give him $8.5m, was really hoping we'd end up with him if it was one year, too bad

IA one year deal carries no risk

I doubt the guy who actually has to pay the $7,000,000 out of his own pockets (even with how deep his pockets are) would agree that there is no risk. Perhaps Ilich looked at Semin and said the Caps didn't want to resign him, he has a bad rep, can't get more than a one year deal anywhere, has been on the market a month . . . your not going to risk $7,000,000 of my money on a guy that is such a question mark and might even end up hurting the team.

If Holland sits on his $13 million, there is absolutely NO reason why we shouldn't have made the same offer or better to Semin. A one year deal carries no risk and will only motivate the kid to be a team player so he can cash in next off season. It's tough to say if Holland actually has a plan with the money or if he's striking out on all these opportunities. I am praying to Buddha our next headline isn't that we've just signed Andreas Lilja to lucrative multi-year dear.

I want to believe he has a master plan, a rabbit in his hat, an ace up his sleeve. That we're gonna get that power-forward and that elite #1 defenseman, no worries. That what looks like incompetence and reeks of failure and disappointment is all part of The Plan. That if we lose five key players to injury, all in the same week, we won't be icing the Grand Rapids Red Wings.

But we all know Lilja is coming back. :confused:

:D at Kenny....he is fail. Epic. An off season that started out so promising too. Lowball some more players and GMs. Hey Ken, a player can make more than Pav, ya know? Damn him and his "team" salary cap. Enjoy this roster!

I know it is frustrating, but Holland offered Parise, Sutter, and (I think it is safe to assume) Weber more than Dats -- That doesn't mean however, that he thinks Semin should make $300,000 more than Dats.

Wow. I really felt like there was a good reason for all the other non-moves, but this one stings. Honestly, the roster is basically full - a one-year deal!? If there's some good reason Semin didn't want us then so be it, but I better not find out that we were just "holding out for Doan"

Sent on iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it is frustrating, but Holland offered Parise, Sutter, and (I think it is safe to assume) Weber more than Dats -- That doesn't mean however, that he thinks Semin should make $300,000 more than Dats.

Wrong. I know what you mean, but a 1 yr deal of ANY amount is not the same as a long term commitment like the ones given to 13, 40, or even 93. Semin would've been a mercenary no different than Hossa.

Sent on iPhone using Tapatalk