• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Your thoughts on Sergei Fedorov

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

https://www.barstoolsports.com/boston/spittin-chiclets-episode-232-featuring-brian-burke-rone

At about 58 min in Burke talks about Feds.

He purposely kept young Perry and Getzlaf off the team to keep them away from him. Says Sergei's heart wasn't in the game and he was spending all his time in downtown LA.

Anybody else think we dodged a massive bullet letting Feds go? He never did anything noteworthy again after us, and his lifestyle was probably a big distraction as Burke points out.

Burke therefore swapped him for Beauchemin early into Feds 2nd season with the Ducks.

He left at a time when most of the team was made up of veterans who I doubt would have suffered from any negative influence. Also the kids like Datsyuk (and later Z) would have a locker room full of leaders to mentor them, so I doubt Feds would have rubbed off on them either. Ironically, the Wings were probably the best fit for Feds at the time.

4 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

He left at a time when most of the team was made up of veterans who I doubt would have suffered from any negative influence. Also the kids like Datsyuk (and later Z) would have a locker room full of leaders to mentor them, so I doubt Feds would have rubbed off on them either. Ironically, the Wings were probably the best fit for Feds at the time.

Maybe at the beginning of the season. By the end we had Yzerman and Draper at C, with Datsyuk and Zberg taking off. He really wasn't needed anymore after 03/04. And it's possibly a good thing we didn't commit term and money to him, especially with his off ice distractions whether they rubbed off on anyone else or not.

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Maybe at the beginning of the season. By the end we had Yzerman and Draper at C, with Datsyuk and Zberg taking off. He really wasn't needed anymore after 03/04. And it's possibly a good thing we didn't commit term and money to him, especially with his off ice distractions whether they rubbed off on anyone else or not.

But Anna...

55 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

But Anna...

36 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

She has about as much chance of being in the rafters one day as Feds does

I gotta feel for Feds...That was a weird time frame (late 90s - early 00s) where Kournikova was 'dating' both Fedorov, and Bure.

What I wanna know is - in the words of Sean Avery - who got the 'sloppy seconds'?

12 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

I gotta feel for Feds...That was a weird time frame (late 90s - early 00s) where Kournikova was 'dating' both Fedorov, and Bure.

What I wanna know is - in the words of Sean Avery - who got the 'sloppy seconds'?

Answer: Both

Remember when Anna left the tennis circuit and the tennis people needed a new hot Russian girl, so they threw out Maria Sharapova? Who was like a "5", and they literally tried to act like she was hot, when no one saw it. It was like no one wanted to be the first one to come out and say it, so she was the new Kournikova for a while. Until people finally realized she wasn't and she disappeared into obscurity.

After watching The Russian 5, does anyone think that the Wings and Wings fans should give Feds some additional "guts" points when considering if he should be in the rafters?  By pure #'s it can be argued either way (for or against), but do we give Feds a little extra love considering what he went through to get to Detroit and start his new life and hockey career?  Other players you primarily go off of the #'s, but this guy defected from the USSR to come play in Detroit.  I realize that we had other players that did the same to come play for us, but none that have the #'s to make an argument for being in the rafters in addition to the stats.  It was a total boss move that had lives in the balance if it didn't go the way it was planned.  Style points??

20 minutes ago, Learn2LuvIt said:

After watching The Russian 5, does anyone think that the Wings and Wings fans should give Feds some additional "guts" points when considering if he should be in the rafters?  By pure #'s it can be argued either way (for or against), but do we give Feds a little extra love considering what he went through to get to Detroit and start his new life and hockey career?  Other players you primarily go off of the #'s, but this guy defected from the USSR to come play in Detroit.  I realize that we had other players that did the same to come play for us, but none that have the #'s to make an argument for being in the rafters in addition to the stats.  It was a total boss move that had lives in the balance if it didn't go the way it was planned.  Style points??

Feds should have his number retired. Hart trophy, Stanley Cups, Hall of Fame. The guy honored his contracts. Never forced a trade. The whole "how he left" thing is stupid. He was an UFA. #raise91

On 1/6/2020 at 12:02 AM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Remember when Anna left the tennis circuit and the tennis people needed a new hot Russian girl, so they threw out Maria Sharapova? Who was like a "5", and they literally tried to act like she was hot, when no one saw it. It was like no one wanted to be the first one to come out and say it, so she was the new Kournikova for a while. Until people finally realized she wasn't and she disappeared into obscurity.

I was always more of an Ana Ivanovic guy.

former-world-no-1-ana-ivanovic-announced

Just now, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I suspect Burke molded them into exactly what he wanted them to be

Prob'ly. I'm just going for the low hanging fruit hot take. The Pronger era Ducks were a team that prided itself on s***heelery and I'm tempted to say the fact that Fedorov didn't fit into Burke's vision of the team should earn Feds some karma points.