• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Your thoughts on Sergei Fedorov

Rate this topic

If your talking both ends of the ice, Neither of those two players were even close to Federov............

Go to wikipedia and read about Fedorov. If Scotty Bowman, Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky, and Steve Yzerman all say he was one of the best, thats good enough for me.

Wanna know how I know you know nothing about hockey?

I'm not sure I understand why the contract situation with Carolina is such a big deal to people. He held out, but it didn't really hurt us. We made the playoffs, he came back, played great in the playoffs and we won another Cup. The way he left in 2003 wasn't great, but it wasn't so bad that it could erase or taint everything he had done for the Wings for the 11 years. He was a HUGE part of those championship teams in 97,98 and 2002, I don't see how you can not be leaning towards retiring his number. Do we win those three Cups without him on our team? Do have all that success we enjoyed during his career without him in our lineup? I really doubt it.

Maybe people were too young to remember or simply don't remember that time very well, but Fedorov was 90's Wings hockey. Maybe its because he was more flashy than others or because he was that good, but Fedorov was always the first name to come up when talking about the Wings back then.

Absolutely not.... I don't think of Fedorov, when I am looking up at the following players' jerseys:

Yzerman, Sawchuk, Delvecchio, Lindsay, Abel, Howe.... and soon Lidstrom.

He doesn't fit with that group of esteemed players. If he had stayed with the club and finished his career out with some sort of respect and dignity, then possibly then he would be considered, but he ended up leaving for money.

As far as Dats and Z go.... they still have several years until they retire, so the jury is still out, but if they continue on the path they have already set, I would say there is a 60/40 chance.

IIRC, Ted Lindsay didn't leave on the best of terms either. In fact, he didn't want to have anything to do with the Wings for decades after retirement and reconciled only relatively recently.

So if Fedorov's jersey deserves to hang on the rafters otherwise, the way he left shouldn't have to be a disqualifying factor.

No rafter for him. Twice he showed he wanted to do his own thing.

LA Times:

Fedorov, who has helped carry the Russian men's hockey team to the semifinals of the Olympic tournament with a goal and five points in four games, said recently he wants the Red Wings to trade him. He would not say what he will do if the Red Wings match the Carolina offer. "So far I'm still just at the Olympic Games and I'm thinking about that," he said. "I think when I get there I will cross that bridge. . . . I told Ken Holland [the Red Wings' general manager] that I can play somewhere else."
Edited by dragonballgtz

People forget when they bring up Lindsey and others leaving the team what shape the team's ownership was in, as well as the state of the players union.

Feds left for his own reasons, I don't begrudge him that.

The Norris family had done some real damage to this team when these players left and their leaving was more about the team treating them like crap, then them wanting to go elsewhere.

Feds took way too many shifts/games off, and left for his reasons. Which I said I am fine with, but the rafters at the Joe, and wherever they end up, are for an exclusive club of Team first guys who embodied what it meant to be a wing.

Draper deserves his number retired more than Feds!

Feds was a phenomenal talent, all around beast, but the Wings only retire a very select few, the Perfect Human and THE Captain were the first retired in a long time and I think we may see another gap again.

Dats and Z are great, but they are not Lids and Stevie Y.

When Sergei was in his prime, can you really say that? I've asked several people who they would rather have in their prime, Fedorov or Datsyuk. 90% of them said Fedorov.

I can say he was one of the best forwards of his era. But that doesn't make him top 25 all time in my book.

Don't know what Datsyuk has to do with that argument. I wouldn't rank him that high either. And yes, I'd take a prime Fedorov over a prime Datsyuk.

The Hall is for the Greatest Hockey Players.

The Rafters are for the Greatest Red Wings.

Not just the most talented, but also those who have bled Red.

If thats the criteria then a name or two in the rafters right now shouldn't be there.

People forget when they bring up Lindsey and others leaving the team what shape the team's ownership was in, as well as the state of the players union.

Feds left for his own reasons, I don't begrudge him that.

The Norris family had done some real damage to this team when these players left and their leaving was more about the team treating them like crap, then them wanting to go elsewhere.

Feds took way too many shifts/games off, and left for his reasons. Which I said I am fine with, but the rafters at the Joe, and wherever they end up, are for an exclusive club of Team first guys who embodied what it meant to be a wing.

Draper deserves his number retired more than Feds!

Feds was a phenomenal talent, all around beast, but the Wings only retire a very select few, the Perfect Human and THE Captain were the first retired in a long time and I think we may see another gap again.

Dats and Z are great, but they are not Lids and Stevie Y.

When you're that much better than everyone and you have an off game, you look lazy or complacent. We said the same things about Datsyuk the past couple seasons "He looks tired","he looks disinterested","he looks unDatsyuk like". Bowman and Stevie both stated he was their hardest worker night in and night out. I trust their opinions over fans opinions any day of the week.

Would anyone honestly be upset if the Wings did retire it?

I wouldn't.

But I think they should also retire Red Kelly and Norm Ullman's numbers. Two of the best players in Red Wings history.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Whenever talk of sending a number to the rafters pops up, I like to rely on a very simple test to determine whether a number is worthy of being retired: is there even a debate as to whether the jersey is hung? If we're debating it, then the player didn't do enough to convince me he deserves to have his number retired. Yzerman was no debate, Lidstom is no debate. Fedorov (and Osgood for that matter, but that's another topic), there are arguments on both sides and for that matter alone I would not retire his number.

Guest The Axe

This is the "cool kid" argument. Popularity contest. There are lots of debates about #s. Yzerman was one phone call away from being an Ottawa Senator. People forget about him being a malcontent before finally taking Bowman's advice and learning how to play defense. If its about what importance the player had to the team, Fedorov should be up there.

The sad thing is I see Ozzies name being hung up before Fedorov's when Fedorov has been just as important for the re-birth of our successful franchise starting in the early 90's. Nothing against Ozzie I cause I think he's deserves his name up there too IMO. Fedorov's only downfall is indeed the way we left bu oh well. People still holding a grudge to that? I'm not surprised.

The sad thing is I see Ozzies name being hung up before Fedorov's when Fedorov has been just as important for the re-birth of our successful franchise starting in the early 90's. Nothing against Ozzie I cause I think he's deserves his name up there too IMO. Fedorov's only downfall is indeed the way we left bu oh well. People still holding a grudge to that? I'm not surprised.

I don't think anyone who was around in the 90s has a grudge against him. Like someone else said though...If you have to debate about it...then he's not worthy. Yzerman and Lidstrom are no question, no debate, and that's why both will be up there.

Guest The Axe

Lidstrom is a no-brainer. He was #1 important to the Wings. Fedorov wad #2, and Yzerman was #3.

Guest Crymson

Lidstrom is a no-brainer. He was #1 important to the Wings. Fedorov wad #2, and Yzerman was #3.

Ah, so Yzerman, perhaps the best captain in Red Wings history and arguably the player most responsible for elevating the team out of the Dead Wings era, ranks behind Fedorov. No.

This is the "cool kid" argument. Popularity contest. There are lots of debates about #s. Yzerman was one phone call away from being an Ottawa Senator. People forget about him being a malcontent before finally taking Bowman's advice and learning how to play defense. If its about what importance the player had to the team, Fedorov should be up there.

Goodness. You have no idea what you're talking about. Yzerman was never a malcontent. His near trade to Ottawa had absolutely nothing to do with his attitude and playstyle, and everything to do with Brian Murray wanting another big Russian center.