• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Your thoughts on Sergei Fedorov

Rate this topic

Reflecting on his NHL career, I know he'll always be remembered as a Wing. I was extremely bitter after he left, and I was also at his first game back in Detroit on December 3, 2003 where he was booed mercilessly every time he touched the puck.

Does he deserve to have his #91 retired by Detroit? Ultimately, I'd have to vote yes.

Without a doubt yes. My favorite Red Wing in the 90's hands down. Remember seeing him play vs the Sharks at the Cow Palace in San Francisco his rookie season. I knew then he would be something special for us in the upcoming years. At one point probably one of the best skaters in the league hands down.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Reflecting on his NHL career, I know he'll always be remembered as a Wing. I was extremely bitter after he left, and I was also at his first game back in Detroit on December 3, 2003 where he was booed mercilessly every time he touched the puck.

Does he deserve to have his #91 retired by Detroit? Ultimately, I'd have to vote yes.

He was my idol, when I used to play I used the White Nike skates and Nike logo'd Bauer equipment. My coach called me Sergei, lol.

It seemed to me that Sergei liked being flashy and all the media attention surrounding him, in my opinion he wanted to be the "shining star" on a team full of stars and it wasn't happening so he parted ways. I lost a ton of respect for him after that.

Remember the Nike commercials of the late 90's? The goalie prank calling him and saying "Your mother wears Red Army boots!" lol those were the days...

He was my idol, when I used to play I used the White Nike skates and Nike logo'd Bauer equipment. My coach called me Sergei, lol.

It seemed to me that Sergei liked being flashy and all the media attention surrounding him, in my opinion he wanted to be the "shining star" on a team full of stars and it wasn't happening so he parted ways. I lost a ton of respect for him after that.

Remember the Nike commercials of the late 90's? The goalie prank calling him and saying "Your mother wears Red Army boots!" lol those were the days...

I won't lie I had the white Nike roller blades cause of Fedorov lol

My favourite player on the Wings in the 90s too. Such a shame it ended the way it did, because based upon every other criteria #91 deserves to be hanging from the rafters.

I know the Sergei haters bang on about his lack of effort in the regular season, but when it mattered - when it really mattered, in the playoffs, he always showed up

Fedorov was the biggest reason i became a Red Wings fan. I really didn't know much about Hockey growing up in PA....we didn't have hockey in our schools and there was only 1 rink with an hour of me that i knew about.....and i didn't quite understand the rules much. But when i started watching it on TV as a teenager and saw this team of incredible skaters cycling around and controlling the puck, i thought it was pretty cool. At the center of that was Fedorov....this amazing, fast skater who glided around the rink like no other. Add to that Stevie Y, The Joe and Hockeytown and i was sold on being a Wings fan. Been hooked ever since.

Fedorov was the best in his era. It's unfortunate that he left b/c his career and legacy suffered tremendously.

Guest Crymson

Look at the numbers that have been retired by the organization. Look at how many have been retired. Look at what those players accomplished. Then look at Fedorov and ask yourself if he should be amongst that group. In the modern era thus far, only Yzerman's number has been retired, and Lidstrom's will be soon. Those guys were absolute cogs in the team, part of the organization's heart and soul in a way that Fedorov could never lay claim to.

Incredibly skilled player, that despite his great numbers, never really met his full potential on the ice and took shifts off... Off the ice, an ingrate and primadona who held an organization (that basically gave him a career and life) hostage and was more interested in being "the guy", than part of something special... his number should never go into the rafters amongst true greats and sully the meaning of what it means to go into elite Red Wing history, which is reserved for only the best of the best

Really good question. He gave this organization problems with contracts and leaving on bad terms, but was a major part our success during the 90's. A major part. When you think Red Wings from 94-2003, you think Steve Yzerman, then Sergei Fedorov. The guy did it all. Played center, wing, defense and did them all really well. He had a cannon for shot, was an incredible passer, played excellent defense and was the fastest skater in the league. I've often said when Fedorov was motivated and really wanted to win, he was the best player in hockey. So while all the off the ice things put a bad taste in our mouths, you can't rewrite history and I think the pros far out weigh the cons here and I think #91 should be given some serious consideration by Mr Ilitch to be put in the rafters.

Nothing against Sergei, but I vote no, just because how exclusive a club the retired numbers have become. Again, nothing against #91, but Ozzie probably deserves the honor more due to him being 2nd in most Red Wings regular season goalie categories, and 1st in the playoffs. However, Ozzie won't be up there either. Lidstrom is next, then probably Dats and Z.

Thinking back to the Fedorov years, there was always so much drama with the guy, then his Dad would get involved.

Nothing against Sergei, but I vote no, just because how exclusive a club the retired numbers have become. Again, nothing against #91, but Ozzie probably deserves the honor more due to him being 2nd in most Red Wings regular season goalie categories, and 1st in the playoffs. However, Ozzie won't be up there either. Lidstrom is next, then probably Dats and Z.

Thinking back to the Fedorov years, there was always so much drama with the guy, then his Dad would get involved.

If Fedorov or Ozzie won't be retired, then neither will Dats or Z...

BTW, Crymson, you say he could not lay claim to being an absolute cog in the team or be an organizations Heart and Soul....take Fedorov off the 90's teams...nowhere NEAR the success and they would not have won 97 and 98 Cups without him...barely even 2002. Fedorov damn well deserves his number retired here, more so than Ozzie, Dats or Z. When Dats wins a Hart or Z wins a Hart or scores 60 goals, then we'll talk with them in the same sentence as Fedorov. Do me a favor, put Dats and Z in the clutch and grab era...I am not saying they arent great players in their own right, but if Dats and Z are already getting consideration for retirement, Fedorov is a shoe in. The ONLY thing is if Illitch is bitter over him leaving on the terms he left...which was Illitch's fault anyhow...

I'll vote no just on how he left. He does deserve it, as everyone here who watched what he accomplished knows already, but I still would vote no because how he left was too big of a faux pas and the rafters are too exclusive for that. I say let's just paint a fedorov mural in the "new arena" & we can honor him that way.

Absolutely not.... I don't think of Fedorov, when I am looking up at the following players' jerseys:

Yzerman, Sawchuk, Delvecchio, Lindsay, Abel, Howe.... and soon Lidstrom.

He doesn't fit with that group of esteemed players. If he had stayed with the club and finished his career out with some sort of respect and dignity, then possibly then he would be considered, but he ended up leaving for money.

As far as Dats and Z go.... they still have several years until they retire, so the jury is still out, but if they continue on the path they have already set, I would say there is a 60/40 chance.

Guest The Axe

Fedorov is going to the hall of fame. If the Wings dont retire his number, that would be petty. He was our best forward and arguably best player for 10 years. Hes got the stats and hardware to prove it. He shouldnt be held back because he wasnt around to rack up 150 pt seasons in the 80's. When Yzerman decided to play defense and win cups, he had to become more like Fedorov. 91 to the rafters for sure.

While Federov is one of my all time favorite hockey players I would think he's outside the bubble in terms of having his jersey retired. He was an incredible talent and one of the biggest reasons the Wings won the cup in 97 and 98. But he also wasn't a lifelong Wing and was never the heart and soul of the franchise. Dats and Z are way behind Federov when it comes to who's number is going to be retired.

I really liked the guy awesome player, great skater . But he could have been an absolute beast if he could have gotten past his, second fiddle syndrome about playing on the same team as Yzerman. Had he done that he would have stayed a Wing and his sweater would have it's place hanging at the Joe.

Fedorov is the reason I have become a Red Wings fan. I used to watch him play for CSKA in Moscow and followed him to Detroit.

Great hockey player. No need to say more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My second favorite player ever. I was upset when he left, but don't hold it against him in the long run. His career did become somewhat irrelevant after he left, so it ended up a bad move for him more than the Wings.

I would retire his number if I was running the team, but based on their precedent I wouldn't (I sound like a judge). The guys they retired basically spent their entire career with the Wings. I mean they didn't even retire Red Kelly's number, likely for that reason. It's a strict policy, but that's how the Wings do it.

Guest Crymson

BTW, Crymson, you say he could not lay claim to being an absolute cog in the team or be an organizations Heart and Soul....take Fedorov off the 90's teams...nowhere NEAR the success and they would not have won 97 and 98 Cups without him...barely even 2002.

The same could be said of Lidstrom, Yzerman, and Shanahan. But neither Shanahan nor Fedorov will see their numbers retired, and for good reason: they are a step below Yzerman and Lidstrom in terms of how valuable they were to the team. Yzerman's contributions are obvious; in addition to being an excellent player, he was an excellent leader and a class act. Lidstrom was likewise a class act, and he was the team's defensive cog for well over a decade. Both never complained, always put forth maximum effort, and spent their entire careers in Detroit. Shanahan and Fedorov were very important pieces, but they were not vital in the way that Yzerman and Lidstrom were.

\When Yzerman decided to play defense and win cups, he had to become more like Fedorov.

When Yzerman decided to concentrate more on defense to the detriment of offense, he did not need to become like Fedorov. He played with grit, determination and toughness that Fedorov never possessed. While Yzerman was putting his body and soul on the line every night, especially in the playoffs, Fedorov saw time holding out for a better contract and whining about being second fiddle.

I'll vote no just on how he left. He does deserve it, as everyone here who watched what he accomplished knows already, but I still would vote no because how he left was too big of a faux pas and the rafters are too exclusive for that.

Exactly: the rafters are simply too exclusive for Fedorov to be part of that club.

Guest The Axe

Crymson, Fedorov won the Hart trophy. Selke twice. He played DEFENSE for the team for a while. His playoff numbers are enormous. You cant penalize Fedorov for not breaking down like Yzerman. The guy was a specimen, much the same way Lidstrom was. He never had to play on busted legs cause his training regimen kept him healthy, much like Datsyuk and Lidstrom. All arguments for heart, stats, accolades, and importance are bad ones for the against side. The whole career argument also is bad, considering Yzerman is the only one in the rafters currently with the whole career credibility. The only argument we are left with his malcontent. And i agree that this hurts Fedorov immensely. But get over it already, Detroit. He was one of three key guys (Lidstrom #1, Yzerman #2 or #3) that led the cup teams. He should go in the rafters and be remembered for his prowess.

I could see not letting anyone ware the #91 kinda like a unofficial thing like #16 but hell no to the rafters. How he left was weak and cost him his chance at the rafters. I might be wrong but didn't he take less money to go to the ducks? Either way, all the off the ice stuff, how he left, no way he belongs in the rafters. His #'s and hardware are great but he just should not be up there.

My second favorite player ever. I was upset when he left, but don't hold it against him in the long run. His career did become somewhat irrelevant after he left, so it ended up a bad move for him more than the Wings.

I would retire his number if I was running the team, but based on their precedent I wouldn't (I sound like a judge). The guys they retired basically spent their entire career with the Wings. I mean they didn't even retire Red Kelly's number, likely for that reason. It's a strict policy, but that's how the Wings do it.

Terry Sawchuk also played for Toronto, Boston, New York, and Los Angeles.