• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:28 AM

No surprise here I think. Brutally honest commentary although I disagree with the forward corps comment; it is that last sentence that breaks my heart </3

http://www.thehockey...tions-No-7.html

"Why: Welcome to the Twilight Zone. Detroit, on the playoff bubble? It feels odd to even type those words, but the Red Wings’ off-season was disastrous. They lost their best defenseman ever, Nicklas Lidstrom, to retirement, and traded Brad Stuart. The assumption was they’d land a big free agent fish or two to replace them, but GM Ken Holland swung and missed. Even if rookie Brendan Smith shines, the Wings can’t possibly replace what they’ve lost on the back end. That said, Detroit still boasts one of the league’s deepest forward corps, led by Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg, and newcomer Jordin Tootoo gives them sorely needed sandpaper. The Wings remain a playoff team, but aren’t a serious Cup threat anymore."

#2 redwingmachine

redwingmachine

3rd Line Checker

• Gold Booster
  • 381 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:42 AM

Well it's a damn good thing the game is played on the ice and not decided by sport writers. The Red Wings have a new look, players will step up, everything's going to be just fine. I personally think it will be better than fine and we will surprise a lot of sport writers and fans this year. I can't wait until puck drop to see what we really have.

Sincerely,
Optimism

#3 RedFlag85

RedFlag85

Rookie

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

I agree, assuming our roster stays the same.

#4 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

I think we will see Z and Dats really step it up (85+points each) with the absence of Lids and guys like Fil, Kronner, Cleary will also have bigger effects than in the past. Maybe Franzen steps up? who knows...

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#5 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:15 AM

Wings aren't a serious cup contender?

There are no serious contenders in the league anymore. You make the playoffs, you have a 1/16 chance of winning the cup. These playoffs proved that when the Coyotes of all teams advanced to the WCF with Detroit, Vancouver and Chicago losing in first round.

bringit.jpg

#6 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

There are no serious contenders in the league anymore. You make the playoffs, you have a 1/16 chance of winning the cup. These playoffs proved that when the Coyotes of all teams advanced to the WCF with Detroit, Vancouver and Chicago losing in first round.

Although it's true once the playoffs start I think there are still legit cup contenders. With how well NYR did last year and now adding Nash and having a healthy Marc Staal they have to be considered legit cup contenders/favorites. I'm not even the biggest Nash fan in the world but when you combine Lundqvist, their stacked D and a forward corps that should be able to score pretty well I'd say they're legit contenders.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#7 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:34 AM

The nail has been hit on the head.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#8 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

Well it's a damn good thing the game is played on the ice and not decided by sport writers. The Red Wings have a new look, players will step up, everything's going to be just fine. I personally think it will be better than fine and we will surprise a lot of sport writers and fans this year. I can't wait until puck drop to see what we really have.

Sincerely,
Optimism

Agree 100%
I think the Wings are going to surprise a lot of people this year.
be about it!

#9 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:17 AM

Although it's true once the playoffs start I think there are still legit cup contenders. With how well NYR did last year and now adding Nash and having a healthy Marc Staal they have to be considered legit cup contenders/favorites. I'm not even the biggest Nash fan in the world but when you combine Lundqvist, their stacked D and a forward corps that should be able to score pretty well I'd say they're legit contenders.

Would you of called L.A. a serious cup contender before last season?
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#10 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,248 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

I would've called them to contend for the conference finals.

It wasn't until the season started and they couldn't manage to score that them being a contender looked less and less likely. But on paper at the beginning of the season, absolutely.

#11 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

I would've called them to contend for the conference finals.

It wasn't until the season started and they couldn't manage to score that them being a contender looked less and less likely. But on paper at the beginning of the season, absolutely.

on paper?? which "star" and their star numbers on the team had you convinced that they would win a cup?

And another team to talk about look at the Florida Panthers....They were ranked dead last in the pre-season rankings and what spot did they end up with at the end of the season in the 1st round of the playoffs? I just don't see that we are that bad that we are going to just barely make the playoffs even. And I never pay attention to what writers or who ever have to say. How many years now have they been writing us as too old to make the playoffs and how many times have we proven that wrong?

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 17 August 2012 - 11:44 AM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

#12 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

just for the record, the last time the hockey news predicted us finishing low in the conference was the 06-07 season where they said we would finish 6th and could very easily miss the playoffs. that year the wings finished tied for 1st in the league and went on to the conference finals :D

#13 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,248 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

on paper?? which "star" and their star numbers on the team had you convinced that they would win a cup?

And another team to talk about look at the Florida Panthers....They were ranked dead last in the pre-season rankings and what spot did they end up with at the end of the season in the 1st round of the playoffs? I just don't see that we are that bad that we are going to just barely make the playoffs even. And I never pay attention to what writers or who ever have to say. How many years now have they been writing us as too old to make the playoffs and how many times have we proven that wrong?

I said contender, not win the Cup.

The Kings were a great defensive team the season before last but had problems scoring consistently (sound familiar?) the addition of Richards was a huge step in giving them another offensive threat so they wouldn't just key on Kopitar and Brown. So you add scoring to a team that's got a great defensive system, good young goaltending, and maturing star players (doughty and Kopitar).

It's not like I was alone in that prediction. Again, not really as a Cup winner because they're such a young team, but I expected them to take a big step forward in the playoffs.

The Hockey News had them picked 4th in the west, above the Wings. Several "experts" on ESPN had them picked to win their division.

My main point is that people keep using the Kings as if they came out of nowhere at the end of the season, which isn't true. They were a very good team that underachieved all season and got their act together just in time. Before the season started they were expected to be a good team and contend for their division. It's just when they struggled to score and were on the verge of missing the playoffs that their change in play was so surprising.

#14 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:56 AM

I said contender, not win the Cup.

The Kings were a great defensive team the season before last but had problems scoring consistently (sound familiar?) the addition of Richards was a huge step in giving them another offensive threat so they wouldn't just key on Kopitar and Brown. So you add scoring to a team that's got a great defensive system, good young goaltending, and maturing star players (doughty and Kopitar).

It's not like I was alone in that prediction. Again, not really as a Cup winner because they're such a young team, but I expected them to take a big step forward in the playoffs.

My main point is that people keep using the Kings as if they came out of nowhere at the end of the season, which isn't true. They were a very good team that underachieved all season and got their act together just in time. Before the season started they were expected to be a good team and contend for their division. It's just when they struggled to score and were on the verge of missing the playoffs that their change in play was so surprising.

ok what about the panthers? They were ranked dead last and some how magically became 3rd seed. Who would of called that? Thats why you don't know until the playing starts and that's why these predictions are bogus.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 17 August 2012 - 11:57 AM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

#15 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,248 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

ok what about the panthers? They were ranked dead last and some how magically became 3rd seed. Who would of called that? Thats why you don't know until the playing starts and that's why these predictions are bogus.

I'm not disagreeing with that at all. It's always such a surprise the teams that are great on paper that don't live up to expectations, and the teams that seem to come out of nowhere.

Even the first half the season, some fans start planning parade routes because their team has played great for 30 games. Then they come back down to earth and don't even make the playoffs.

Like I said people just keep using the Kings as some team no one ever would've predicted to do well. Many people did, they just didn't live up to expectations.

#16 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

7th thru 10th is my prediction.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#17 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

im not surprised the kings won the cup. they had the players, they just needed to put it together and get the puck in the net

#18 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

LA was 1 of those teams who underachieved these past few seasons...With the firing of Murray, and hiring of Sutter brought accountability.

I would say the Kings have a fair chance at repeating.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#19 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

7th seems pretty fair to me. I would say right now the Kings, Canucks, Blues are the three divisional favorites. After that, I think you could lump the Red Wings in the second tier with the Coyotes, Sharks, Blackhawks, Predators and maybe the Wild too. There is usually always a surprise team too that is stronger than expected -- I actually think the Ducks will be quite a bit improved and contend for the playoffs.

The West will be very competitive as usual, except for the first time in forever, I don't see the Red Wings as a playoff lock.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#20 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:59 PM

im not surprised the kings won the cup. they had the players, they just needed to put it together and get the puck in the net

i agree.....and i add the same can be said of the Wings last season.