• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

NHL Gamecenter Live is $50 for the (half) season this year. Here is the link- http://gamecenterlive.nhl.com/

There are a few downsides to the service, but this is a discount to the normal season rate.

1. Local and national games are blacked-out. This includes local FSN/Comcast, NBCSN, and NHL Network games. Therefore, you won't be able to get all Wings games unless you have these channels. The Wings are on NBCSN ~10 times and NHL-N ~10 times throughout the season.

2. In the US (and likely Canada) the playoffs are not shown on Gamecenter. This is because all games are shown on cable.

Gamecenter determines your location based on your IP address. Therefore, blackouts will depend on your (internet) location on a given day.

#2 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

NHL Gamecenter Live is $50 for the (half) season this year. Here is the link- http://gamecenterlive.nhl.com/

There are a few downsides to the service, but this is a discount to the normal season rate.

1. Local and national games are blacked-out. This includes local FSN/Comcast, NBCSN, and NHL Network games. Therefore, you won't be able to get all Wings games unless you have these channels. The Wings are on NBCSN ~10 times and NHL-N ~10 times throughout the season.

2. In the US (and likely Canada) the playoffs are not shown on Gamecenter. This is because all games are shown on cable.

Gamecenter determines your location based on your IP address. Therefore, blackouts will depend on your (internet) location on a given day.

In the past blackout lasted couple of days. So you could watch the game, just not when it matters.

#3 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

In the past blackout lasted couple of days. So you could watch the game, just not when it matters.

Correct. I believe the blackout time is 24-48 hours.

#4 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

Gamecenter pissed me off so much last year Im going to just try and stream it or watch it on redwingslive when possible.  

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#5 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

From the forum rules:

LetsGoWings.com does not condone illegal content sharing/streaming on the web site and all links will be removed.

I've deleted a few posts mentioning illegal streaming sites.  Let's stay on topic about Gamecenter and legal alternatives.

#6 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

Gamecenter live is good but has some problems. Recording sucks and picture quality can be so-so if you're streaming on anything but a good PC. Blackouts too, obviously. 

Center Ice is fifty bucks as well. Just go with that if it's available to you. If you have a DVR, you will be able to record games and won't suffer through stupid blackouts. Picture quality most of the time is HD.

#7 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

So is it safe to assume that if every game is blacked out on FSD here in Austin then pretty much it will be the same on Gamecenter?

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#8 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

"Thank You Fans!"
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#9 drumnj

drumnj

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

From the forum rules:

LetsGoWings.com does not condone illegal content sharing/streaming on the web site and all links will be removed.

Not to be overly scrupulous, but you aren't quoting the full rule.  So it's being taken out of context

· DON'T post to torrent sites. LetsGoWings.com does not condone illegal content sharing/streaming on the web site and all links will be removed.

That is the full rule.  How it is described it would apply to material that would be downloaded through file sharing/hosting means.  Plus it only outlines links as being the offending way that would go against said rule.

As far as I know people were only mentioning alternatives in context of the discussion of GameCenter Live.  If they were actively linking that that would incite potential post removal.  Otherwise discussing of it would not be against the rules.

Now if the rules said something along the lines of:

"You are not permitted to discuss or mention anything that could be perceived as illegal or illegitimate"

Then I could see cause for removal of any type of open discussion on the subject.

Got FSD setup with all it's glory.  Plan to have pre and post game coverage along with Wingspan and 24/7.  Youtube page: RedWingsLive1

Red Wings and Griffins Live Games Check my profile
Always looking for people to help with the site, be it coding (PHP & JS) or design work. PM me if you'd be interested.

Cleary on, Mike!
Cleary on, Ken!
Dan's World, Dan's World... Mediocrity!... Excellent!

#10 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

I'm not going to be purchasing anything this year. With the 48 game schedule, the Wings are on TV 11 times I believe. So with them being on TV 11 times and Centre Ice being free until Jan 31, i'll hold off this year!

#11 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

ok i just purchased gamecenter....so it seems to be working but how do I get to the nhl vault to watch old games. Everytime i click on "watch classic games" it takes me to signing up for the vault. I thought that the vault came with gamecenter.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 15 January 2013 - 01:19 PM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#12 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,070 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Not to be overly scrupulous, but you aren't quoting the full rule.  So it's being taken out of context

I've updated the rule. In light of events that happened last season I've taken a firmer stance on this: No links to illegal streams, no instructions on how to access them, etc.. Normally I wouldn't go this route, but I can't put the site at risk legally. It's not worth it.

This isn't big evil Matt coming down hard on everyone just to be a pain in the ass, it's just not worth dancing the line until I get certified letter from a lawyer in the mail.

#13 Wingnut in WA

Wingnut in WA

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

I bought Center Ice this year and can't wait. 49.99 is a pretty reasonable price, I know a lot of people were saying it should be free do to the lockout but I just didn't see that happening.

Me being a die hard Wings fan and my wife a huge Bruins fan, we love our Center Ice  :clap:

#14 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

GCL can get bent not going to pay a dime for this league this season. Making it free would have been a nice move but whatever there are enough other options to watch these games.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#15 FifeHockeyNut

FifeHockeyNut

Rookie

• Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Does game centre work outwith north America?

#16 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Does game centre work outwith north America?

Two questions. 1 where's the fife? 2 gimme the fife.

But seriously, I've read that yes you can. I'd email them and ask about any blockages overseas though just to cover your ass and be sure in case you pay and it doesn't work.

#17 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Here's what they say about Vault:

What is NHL Vault™? 
NHL Vault™ is a monthly subscription offering post-game replays from a five-year game archive plus access to an extensive library of classic games dating back to the 1960s, all for the low price of $4.95 per month. It is free for all NHL GameCenter LIVE™ subscribers.

The five-year game archive includes full-length and condensed 10-15 minute replays of every game since the 2007-2008 season, including post-replays added nightly from the current season.* Sign up at nhl.com/vault 

*Full-length replays from the current season are subject to in-market and national blackouts in the US and Canada. If the game was available to watch live on television in your local area, the full-length replay will become available 48-hours after game completion. All other games are available next day. There are no blackout regulations on condensed replays. 

To see what teams are considered in-market and are therefore, unavailable to watch within 48-hours of game completion, pleasecheck your zip code.

---

Don't know if it works or not.  GameCenter Live probably isn't as much of an out-of-market "necessity" as it would be full seasons where more games were unavailable nationally, but for only $50 and with a variety of options where I could watch it (Apple TV, Roku, iPad, iPhone, computer), I think it's worth a shot.  If the quality is absolutely terrible, then I'll know not to waste more money next year.  Hopefully it's at least as good as MLB's streaming service.

#18 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

I've updated the rule. In light of events that happened last season I've taken a firmer stance on this: No links to illegal streams, no instructions on how to access them, etc.. Normally I wouldn't go this route, but I can't put the site at risk legally. It's not worth it.

This isn't big evil Matt coming down hard on everyone just to be a pain in the ass, it's just not worth dancing the line until I get certified letter from a lawyer in the mail.

I don't blame you at all, Matt. Big Sis is coming down hard on anything that even smells like its illegal. 

That said, isn't the "unnamed other popular hockey streaming site" is arguably legal for those in Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Finland since Gamecenter isn't available there? Come on Nordic people... :innocent:

Also, the GCL price isn't much cheaper. Price last year was around 80 cents per day, now its 50 cents. Its a discount, but they sure aren't breaking the bank to bring us back. 

#19 metalkorn

metalkorn

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

The big thing is how many games get blacked out on GCL versus other options. It is frustrating that things get blacked out when not everyone chooses to get Cable and only want internet. I imagine any Wings game on NBC will be considered blacked out even though I don't get it here in Canada because I choose not to have Cable. Same could be said for anything they choose to put on TSN or CBC.

The question becomes do i feel comfortable paying 50 bucks for 2/3rds of wings games

Edited by metalkorn, 15 January 2013 - 04:28 PM.

#20 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

I don't blame you at all, Matt. Big Sis is coming down hard on anything that even smells like its illegal. 

That said, isn't the "unnamed other popular hockey streaming site" is arguably legal for those in Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Finland since Gamecenter isn't available there? Come on Nordic people... :innocent:

Also, the GCL price isn't much cheaper. Price last year was around 80 cents per day, now its 50 cents. Its a discount, but they sure aren't breaking the bank to bring us back. 

The site (and any like it) is illegal based on it's unauthorized rebroadcast of copyrighted material, not the availability of gamecenter. 

And i know what you mean about the discount.  $50 is pretty good I guess, but they're hardly bending over backwards to win back fans.