• Please log in to reply
781 replies to this topic

#601 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:27 AM

Howard is the MVP this playoffs. I'm proud of him. And let me point out that I was critical of him for not having great playoff performances his first few seasons. He's started to become a good veteran goaltender. Good for you Jimmy.

Agreed. He's solid.

#602 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:37 AM

At the beginning of the playoffs in games 1-3 of the ducks series, he looked like the same Howard of the past playoff years, but he really stepped his game up starting in game 4 of that series and hasn't looked back since.

#603 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

At the beginning of the playoffs in games 1-3 of the ducks series, he looked like the same Howard of the past playoff years, but he really stepped his game up starting in game 4 of that series and hasn't looked back since.

he didn't have much help either though

#604 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

he didn't have much help either though

The way I see it is, this is the best playoffs howard has had since coming into the league and he's doing it without Lidstrom, Rafalski and Stuart. In his first few years he didn't have an excuse for his mediocre play. But the fact that he's doing so great WITHOUT the three, shows how much he's matured and how good of a leader he's becoming. Good stuff.

#605 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

Come on, guys... he's only good because he has Spectral Lidstrom playing in front of him...

#606 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

Come on, guys... he's only good because he has Spectral Lidstrom playing in front of him...

Ha ha ha! Nice!

#607 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:15 PM

jim_bedard110156.jpg

Is he part of the problem?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#608 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

jim_bedard110156.jpg

Is he part of the problem?

(Jim Bedard I presume?) Is he inconsistently coaching? 

#609 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

I would have said Howard was above average before this season. He hasn't "stolen" and games I can think of this season - which a starting goalie should do from time to time. Within this CURRENT team - Howard is an average goalie. I argue that Crawford would look just as average if he played on this team - neither are top calibre goalies in my mind. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#610 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:00 AM

He just isn't playing as well as last season (or other seasons).

Doesn't make him a bad (or average) goalie.  He's a good goalie who is out of form right now. 

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#611 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:04 AM

It's the phenomenon where a player gets a big contract and the first year flops ... pressure to live up to the expectation.  As I said in another thread, we may have to come to terms that this is going to be a downer year for him ... call it an MAF year.  Let's hope he bounces back next year.  He is average this year ... let's not sugar coat this.  

#612 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:50 AM

Brodeur would be average on this team of Dan cleary and Sammy's.

#613 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:52 AM

It's not that difficult, the Monster has been playing well so why not start him till Howy is getting his game gback seems like a no brainer to me.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#614 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:38 AM

How does Howie get his game back on the pine?

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#615 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,023 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:57 AM

How does Howie get his game back on the pine?

This is a valid concern. However, it's all about getting points. Right now Gus is doing a good job of that, Babs has to balance winning with getting Howard going.

#NOMOREKINDL

#616 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

This is a valid concern. However, it's all about getting points. Right now Gus is doing a good job of that, Babs has to balance winning with getting Howard going.

I'm almost certain that Gustavsson would have lost that game also. The Flyers were allowed too many open shots from soft areas.

I would have said Howard was above average before this season. He hasn't "stolen" and games I can think of this season - which a starting goalie should do from time to time. Within this CURRENT team - Howard is an average goalie. I argue that Crawford would look just as average if he played on this team - neither are top calibre goalies in my mind. 

He came damned close to stealing some games, but there are shots that no goalie can stop.

Edited by Crymson, 06 December 2013 - 12:05 PM.

#617 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:24 PM

i don't think howard has played bad this year. however, i do think he is below his level of play the last few season. and now that he has that fairly large contract, he is looked at to be a guy that can make saves and win games. we often look at goals and say 'well it was the defensemans fault the goalie had no chance' and thats understandable, but to me, elite goalies are the ones making saves they have no business getting to. i always think back to those playoff series we had against the flames and kiprusoff... that dude made saves that no one should have made. and that to me is what defines a top level goalie. they not only stop all the shots they are expected to, but also some that they aren't.

for several years our D has been bad and we have given up way too many odd man chances the last few years. and i feel howie has always gotten his share of saves that were of the elite quality. thats why i have always been a supporter when others haven't been. we look at some softies or something but ignore all the high quality saves he wouldnt have t make if our defense wasnt swiss cheese.

so with that said, i think he's just been ok. however, gustafsson has been good. i think a lot has been luck with rebounds and posts and all that, but a lot of times, thats all a goalie needs. personally, i think they should continue to give gustafsson a decent amount of starts. let howard rest. he has played a lot of games the last few seasons and i feel it hurts us in the playoffs. let him get rest now so at the end of the year he hasnt been in 65+ games again.

howard will get out of this funk eventually. hopefully the wings have enough healthy forwards to win some games between now and then!

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#618 Larryd

Larryd

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:52 PM

Howard is paid big bucks to stop goals, you can't blame any other players for not doing his job.

I think Gus is a much better player.

Howard.....well, he's a very bad sport

#619 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

Howard is paid big bucks to stop goals, you can't blame any other players for not doing his job.

I think Gus is a much better player.

Howard.....well, he's a very bad sport

I agree Howie is paid a lot to stop pucks and he is not right now but how is he a bad sport? He is having a bad stretch like how many other players on this team have or are still? The thing that endeared me to Howard is his ability to continually learn, grow and bounce back and I have no doubt he will. I would still play the hot goalie more and right now that is Monster.

#620 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

Howard is paid big bucks to stop goals

And defenders are paid big bucks to cover players and clear them from the goalies sightline. Those were the main problems against Philly. Cant put it all on Howard when his defense is not doing there job.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2