• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest The Axe

Howard = Average

Rate this topic

To be fair, this thread was started in February...of 2013. That's over a year ago. It's a thread that is basically calling Howard an average goalie, with no skills that make him exceptional. There was another thread that was praising Howard, and it started fairly recently, but it was locked because it was going to turn into a "Bash Howard" thread.

I agree that nobody has blamed Howard for yesterday's loss, but he is getting called out for his completely stupid play that lead to Boston's first goal. I fully believe that Jimmy is to blame for that one, 100%. If I were a high school football coach, I'd say 115%. Let's be realistic guys...a goal like that can change a game on such a high level. It's one that Booins should not have had. Of course, if Glendenning is our only goal scorer, there's no way to win, so it's on everybody.

His puck handling wouldn't even be a big deal if he didn't try to handle it all the time. Play to your strengths, Howard. Cover that puck if you need to.

Lol. Wings fans one game: Jimmy needs to stop covering the puck and play it more. He needs to work on it, he won't get better at it unless he works at it.

Next game : Jimmy needs to stop playing the puck, just cover it all the time

Lol. Wings fans one game: Jimmy needs to stop covering the puck and play it more. He needs to work on it, he won't get better at it unless he works at it.

You know different people are allowed to have different opinions, right?

Edited by roboturner

He can work on it some other time than during this playoff series.

Yup. And my opinion is that it's amusing that one day everyone wants Jimmy to play the puck, then when he does, everyone wants him to stop.

I think people just want Jimmy to learn how to play the puck well, which may be unfair/unrealistic. The problem with the play he made last game (besides the effectively changing the complexion of the game/series to that point) was that he could have done practically anything else with puck and had a better result. He panicked and played "hot potato" with his d-man's hip, so the puck ended up in his goal.

Not because he played the puck. Not because of a bad break. Because he panicked. I can't think of a worse thing for a goaltender to do on the big stage, especially when he isn't playing the greatest to begin with.

I think people just want Jimmy to learn how to play the puck well, which may be unfair/unrealistic. The problem with the play he made last game (besides the effectively changing the complexion of the game/series to that point) was that he could have done practically anything else with puck and had a better result. He panicked and played "hot potato" with his d-man's hip, so the puck ended up in his goal.

Not because he played the puck. Not because of a bad break. Because he panicked. I can't think of a worse thing for a goaltender to do on the big stage, especially when he isn't playing the greatest to begin with.

I agree. I also don't think this is the right time for him to be "learning" to play the puck. I was talking about a lot of people saying he should, and saying stuff like Hasek did it, even though he wasn't good at it, so Jimmy should. I like the way he played it in game 1, not in game 2

Yup. And my opinion is that it's amusing that one day everyone wants Jimmy to play the puck, then when he does, everyone wants him to stop.

Since you quoted me I might as well point out that I have never, ever called for Howard to play the puck in my entire life that I can remember.

Since you quoted me I might as well point out that I have never, ever called for Howard to play the puck in my entire life that I can remember.

This was my point. You took what 3 people said, compared it to what 3 different people said, and made a huge generalization about what an entire fanbase wants.

This was my point. You took what 3 people said, compared it to what 3 different people said, and made a huge generalization about what an entire fanbase wants.

No. I took what one person said, and what one other person said and used them as an example. You mean to tell me most of the fans weren't saying Howard needs to play the puck more, and then after two games of it changed their mind? Maybe I'm wrong, but I've seen a lot of people doing it.

I'm sorry but Howard is below average right now. He had that one hot game and then looks shaky - this guy can't build confidence.

He's been the only somewhat bright spot against the best team in the league

No. I took what one person said, and what one other person said and used them as an example. You mean to tell me most of the fans weren't saying Howard needs to play the puck more, and then after two games of it changed their mind? Maybe I'm wrong, but I've seen a lot of people doing it.

He's been the only somewhat bright spot against the best team in the league

Even worse if you only used one person from each position! Yes, I was saying he should play the puck more. It's my own opinion and only my own. Anybody else is free to have their own opinion about what he should do. It makes total sense that I was saying what I want when I'm not getting it, and they would say what they want when they're not getting it.

(By the way, I never ever imagined that Howie would, on a whim, decide to start playing the puck in between the last game of the reg. season (which he didn't play in) and the start of the most important games of the year. Although I DO appreciate the fact that he came around to what happens to be my position, THIS IS NOT THE BEST TIME FOR THIS HOWIE!!)

But yeah, I'm gonna say you're wrong here. Had you said "some of" or "a couple of people" I don't think I would have had a problem with what you said. But again, you made a huge generalization, saying "Wings fans" (implying all wings fans), Everybody (meaning everybody!), and Everybody (again!). You didn't stop to think that maybe different people have different ideas about how situations should be handled.

If you look back in the GDT to when that first goal was scored, you'd see that *some* people think he should improve his stick-handling so that kind of thing doesn't happen, while *a few others* think he shouldn't try to play the puck at all.

I don't know where people have gotten this notion that ALL fans must agree on every little thing. That's absurd.

I don't know why changing your mind (if anybody even did), after seeing the other side of the situation, would be such a bad thing. It isn't.

Edited by roboturner

Even worse if you only used one person from each position! Yes, I was saying he should play the puck more. It's my own opinion and only my own. Anybody else is free to have their own opinion about what he should do. It makes total sense that I was saying what I want when I'm not getting it, and they would say what they want when they're not getting it.

(By the way, I never ever imagined that Howie would, on a whim, decide to start playing the puck in between the last game of the reg. season (which he didn't play in) and the start of the most important games of the year. Although I DO appreciate the fact that he came around to what happens to be my position, THIS IS NOT THE BEST TIME FOR THIS HOWIE!!)

But yeah, I'm gonna say you're wrong here. Had you said "some of" or "a couple of people" I don't think I would have had a problem with what you said. But again, you made a huge generalization, saying "Wings fans" (implying all wings fans), Everybody (meaning everybody!), and Everybody (again!). You didn't stop to think that maybe different people have different ideas about how situations should be handled.

If you look back in the GDT to when that first goal was scored, you'd see that *some* people think he should improve his stick-handling so that kind of thing doesn't happen, while *a few others* think he shouldn't try to play the puck at all.

I don't know where people have gotten this notion that ALL fans must agree on every little thing. That's absurd.

I don't know why changing your mind (if anybody even did), after seeing the other side of the situation, would be such a bad thing. It isn't.

You're blowing a simple observation way out of proportion. If that's your opinion that's fine, I used opposite opinions as an example, but as I said I have seen many other people jump ship both ways when it doesn't work. I think he should play the puck more as well, if he feels comfortable, but not at the risk of turning it over in the playoffs

You're blowing a simple observation way out of proportion. If that's your opinion that's fine, I used opposite opinions as an example, but as I said I have seen many other people jump ship both ways when it doesn't work. I think he should play the puck more as well, if he feels comfortable, but not at the risk of turning it over in the playoffs

It was just too much of an oversimplification. Didn't mean to jump down your throat or anything.

PO numbers through last night, Howard is 4th in save % at .931 and 4th in GAA at 2.05. How do some of the "better" goalies rate? Lets look:

Miller .897 and 2.70

nemmi .884 and 3.74

price .916 2.28

Lundquist .923 and 2.08

Seems to me that "average" Howard out played all of those guys. Be very careful what you wish for in life......

PO numbers through last night, Howard is 4th in save % at .931 and 4th in GAA at 2.05. How do some of the "better" goalies rate? Lets look:

Miller .897 and 2.70

nemmi .884 and 3.74

price .916 2.28

Lundquist .923 and 2.08

Seems to me that "average" Howard out played all of those guys. Be very careful what you wish for in life......

but miller is better and all those things...

stats prove otherwise

but... but.. miller is better and all those things

I wouldn't say Howie is average, but I definitely see a goalie controversy on the horizon. At no fault of Howard's, Mrazek is going to be pushing for the starting job in 2-3 seasons - next season if they don't re-sign Monster.

in 2-3 years, sure. More talent the better. Mrasek still has one more year he can play and should, in GR. At tha point Howard is down to his final 4 years. At some point a transition could very well happen. GREAT! For us.

Mrazek still has another year, and I think he should play down there... I just wonder about the back-up situation in Detroit. Gustavsson seems like he enjoys being in Detroit, but wants term. Whoever the Wings grab, it needs to be a one-year deal. Mrazek, Paterson and Coreau can work in GR - I'm not sure what they'll do with McCollum, but he was on an AHL deal, anyway. Weird idea, but if all else fails, maybe McCollum could back-up Howard for the season? I know it's an out-of-the-box idea, but he played well this season.

I don't think it would be the worst thing for Mrazek to back-up Howie and push him all year, but I can see the argument for development in the AHL.

Mrazek still has another year, and I think he should play down there... I just wonder about the back-up situation in Detroit. Gustavsson seems like he enjoys being in Detroit, but wants term. Whoever the Wings grab, it needs to be a one-year deal. Mrazek, Paterson and Coreau can work in GR - I'm not sure what they'll do with McCollum, but he was on an AHL deal, anyway. Weird idea, but if all else fails, maybe McCollum could back-up Howard for the season? I know it's an out-of-the-box idea, but he played well this season.

I don't think it would be the worst thing for Mrazek to back-up Howie and push him all year, but I can see the argument for development in the AHL.