Red Wings should pursue Jagr

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 btone

btone

Flomar

• 10 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

The Red Wings should pursue Jagr. I know that he is old, I know that he may not want to resign to the same team next year and I know he's not a game changer.  Here's the reason, if we sign Jagr it adds a presence to our feeble power play instantly.  For that reason alone, he is worth what we trade, and if the Dallas Stars captain Morrow went for one prospect, i think we could get Jagr for a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick.  Again, just the fact he would improve our power play makes him worth it, not to include the fact he might work beautifuly with Pavel.

#2 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

I'm down. It shouldn't cost much and I think he'd be good here.

#3 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

While I'm not too opposed to this idea if it puts one of Cleary/Sammy in the press box...you're going to get absolutely buried here for making this thread.

#4 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

No thanks to Jagr.

#5 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

I really don't think we should waste even 1 draft pick on Jagr. Mostly for the reasons you gave (he's old and likely won't resign next year) And yeah our PP was pretty sorry earlier in the seaon. But now we're looking much better with the man advantage. If im not mistaken I think we've scored at least 1 PP goal in the last 7-8 games. On top of that we'll have Helm back any day now, and eventually Bertuzzi.

We need an elite defenseman. And out of all the names I've been hearing I really hope for either Keith Yandle or Lubomir Visnovsky

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#6 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

I really don't think we should waste even 1 draft pick on Jagr. Mostly for the reasons you gave (he's old and likely won't resign next year) And yeah our PP was pretty sorry earlier in the seaon. But now we're looking much better with the man advantage. If im not mistaken I think we've scored at least 1 PP goal in the last 7-8 games. On top of that we'll have Helm back any day now, and eventually Bertuzzi.

We need an elite defenseman. And out of all the names I've been hearing I really hope for either Keith Yandle or Lubomir Visnovsky

Are the Islanders still sniffin' around a playoff spot tho? If not, we should be able to get Visnovsky relatively cheap.

#7 btone

btone

Flomar

• 10 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

Counting on Bertuzzi is a long shot, i'll be surprised if he even returns in the next 3 weeks.  Helm will be back, but that is not going to improve our power play.  And think about this, who knows how many more years Pavel will be here for, wouldn't it be nice to see him on the same line as another crafty forward 

#8 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

No they should not.

#9 btone

btone

Flomar

• 10 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

No they should not.

He has 6 power play goals at the moment, the only Wing that matches that is...guess who..Datsyuk! Put Datsyuk out there with Jagr or Jagr leading the second power play, and then my friend we would have a power play teams actually feared again

#10 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

The Red Wings should pursue Jagr. I know that he is old, I know that he may not want to resign to the same team next year and I know he's not a game changer.  Here's the reason, if we sign Jagr it adds a presence to our feeble power play instantly.  For that reason alone, he is worth what we trade, and if the Dallas Stars captain Morrow went for one prospect, i think we could get Jagr for a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick.  Again, just the fact he would improve our power play makes him worth it, not to include the fact he might work beautifuly with Pavel.

I wouldn't mind Jagr and he'd definitely make our PP better, but the Wings powerplay is already becoming feared again. It was never bad at home, but since Franzen came back from injury and Flip got healthy we now have 2 units going and consequently they have PP goals in 7 or 8 straight games now. 

#11 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

I wouldnt be opposed IF we didnt have to give up much to get him. This is a great draft year so picks are valuable and I dont want to part with a prospect BUT I think Jagr could assist us with some of the offensive struggles we have had throughout the year. He is also a bit of a pr*ck...which comes in handy in the playoffs.

I think they are going to have a firesale in Calgary with Iggy gone. I have a strange feeling that Holland would look at JBO if thats the case, given we have cap space. Who knows...with the lack of any acquistions over the last few years, it may not happen. After all, Boumeester is not over 35, a waiver pick-up, a "project" and has not played in Detroit before...which seems to be Hollands signing criteria!

Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#12 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

Our defense has actually been pretty sexy, barring a lapse here and there that leads to an odd man rush. Check out our goals against lately. Right now our most pressing need seems to be a real power forward. Not saying Jagr fits that bill though...

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#13 scotzman

scotzman

Ramblin' Scotzman

• PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

Yes... maybe a 2nd Rounder would do the trick. At least then Pavel has a real scoring threat on his line.

Red Wing Fan since 1976

#14 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

I really think going for jagr is a good play. Pair him with pavel and watch the skill take over. Also helps the pp, and gives us a veteran guy who's been there and done that.

#15 PuckY18

PuckY18

Prospect

• 40 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

I wouldnt be opposed IF we didnt have to give up much to get him. This is a great draft year so picks are valuable and I dont want to part with a prospect BUT I think Jagr could assist us with some of the offensive struggles we have had throughout the year. He is also a bit of a pr*ck...which comes in handy in the playoffs.

I think they are going to have a firesale in Calgary with Iggy gone. I have a strange feeling that Holland would look at JBO if thats the case, given we have cap space. Who knows...with the lack of any acquistions over the last few years, it may not happen. After all, Boumeester is not over 35, a waiver pick-up, a "project" and has not played in Detroit before...which seems to be Hollands signing criteria!

Surprised nobody has mentioned Cammalleri when we're talking about Jagr.  With all of Feaster's attention on Iginla, Holland may have been able to get him cheap. Still can.....

Edited by PuckY18, 28 March 2013 - 02:16 PM.

#16 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

Surprised nobody has mentioned Cammalleri when we're talking about Jagr.  With all of Feaster's attention on Iginla, Holland may have been able to get him cheap.

I was wondering about his availability as well. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#17 btone

btone

Flomar

• 10 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

Surprised nobody has mentioned Cammalleri when we're talking about Jagr.  With all of Feaster's attention on Iginla, Holland may have been able to get him cheap. Still can.....

Here's the thing about Cammalleri.  His past few seasons he's been injury prone, and has not put up great points.  I don't think we need a center right now either as much as we need wings.  And to be honest, as for money, his $6mill is pretty high for what he offers, if we wanted someone like him we'd have been better off keeping Hudler at $4mill. 

#18 stevieisthebest

stevieisthebest

The Captain

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

I would be all for this if its for a 2nd rounder or lower. Jagr certainly wouldn't hurt anything, currently we have 1 good PP unit and one decent PP unit (and thats a stretch). With Jagr, it doesn't matter where you put him, it would move one good player to the other unit, it could take Cleary off the second unit, or if you want him for net presence take Nyquist away. 

Z-D-Franzen

Bruno-Kronwall

Jagr-Fil-Cleary/Nyquist 

Kindl- White

"15,395 Days since they won the cup...3 seconds left, THE DETROiT RED WINGS ARE THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!"

"Lemiuex was hammered by Darren McCarty, and he is being helped into the locker room."

Thanks Steve! #19
Thanks Nick! #5

#19 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

We got tons of skill and finesse we need power. Our weakness is that we get pushed around and to the perimeters

#20 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

Too heavy a cap hit. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman