67 replies to this topic

#21 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

thats some trade deadline acquisition

It's more like: Please meet our Offseason acquisition...

"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#22 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

Lidstrom and holmstrom were pretty useless too. It's almost like they werebt even there

i don't think you understood me, he has been useless because he's been injured.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#23 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

anyone surprised by this news was clearly in denial.

#24 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

Yeah, it's been too long. He shouldn't push himself at his age to try and come back. Hopefully he can get to 100% before next season and won't have any recurring back issues.

The scary part isn't if it ends his seasons, the scary part is if it keeps coming back throughout his career. This was the right decision.

#25 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

Ouch this hurts, thought he might get 5 games or something like that and then play in the playoffs.  Better to be safe then sorry especially with a back.

What? He played 70 games last year

he got injured at a terrible time, magnifies it. And in 2 years he has only played what 71 games now?

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#26 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,021 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

The article and tweet basically states what we all know. He might be done for the season.

With 9 games left it's pretty likely unless the Wings make the playoffs and pull of a miraculous run. Either way, they're not declaring it absolutely yet.

http://www.mlive.com...to_go_with.html

#27 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

Was sitting during the lockout a factor here? Jumping back into the league when you're not in game-shape can open up the door to injury like this. Other Wings have admitted recently that perhaps they shouldn't have sat during the lockout (was it Howard who was especially vocal about this?). I wonder if this hurt Helmer. Oh well, hopefully he gets a fresh start in the fall. 

#28 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

I've been real pessimistic about his return. In fact, I really wonder if he'll ever come back. If he does, how many minutes into the game until he gets hurt again?

#29 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

You don't need to explain.  Your tongue in cheek comment was pretty clear to anybody who...nevermind.  It was clear. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#30 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

Lame, as much as I love Helm he literally has proved to be useless this year and a good portion of last.

You mean just like Crosby has to the Penguins?  Dude severed his wrist last year in the 1st playoff game and has a severe back issue this year.  Not much can be done about this kind of stuff.  Just like Crosby taking a clapper off the chicklets.  These things just happen in the NHL.

I'm surprised Helm won't be playing this season......said nobody who's been following his injury this year.

More surprising is Babcock saying that Flip is being dropped to centering the 3rd line now between Cleary & Brunner with Miller moving up to the 2nd with Franzen & Nyquist.

The most surprising part of it is that I though it was reported a couple weeks back that he was practicing with the team and that he was close to a return??  Moving Flip down spreads more wealth to all 3 lines, though i'd like Goose with Brunner, it may help us get more than 0 goals next game having offense spread on 3 lines.  Glad that Brunner will be back too. As for Helm, he must have tweaked something or re-injured his back to be out for the rest of the season.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#31 Mike J.

Mike J.

Rookie

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

Hopefully he's back to full strength next year, he's one of my favorite players to watch. I'd love to see him on a line with Tootoo on his wing. I can't even imagine how badly they could frustrate other teams.

#32 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

This is why you don't bank on players coming back from injuries to be your additions.

I doubt Bertuzzi plays either and who cares if Samuelsson does?

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#33 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

This is why you don't bank on players coming back from injuries to be your additions.

I doubt Bertuzzi plays either and who cares if Samuelsson does?

All wings fans should care. Samuelsson would really help our devoting issues.

#34 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

There's definitely better ways to describe the hardest working Red Wings player than useless though.  Like "unfortunate" would be the way to describe our loss of Helm.  Then the many Helm fans will stop biting your head off.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#35 JPT

JPT

Rookie

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

Unfortunate news but not surprising to anyone here. He's a great 3rd line guy and PK'er. Hope he comes back strong and healthy and at this point I would rather him sit the remainder of this year and heal properly. I don't know how much of a difference he would have made overall to this team. I kind of think we would be in the same place or just a little better.

#36 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

"Useless" is a pejorative term, so what you're trying is obvious.

#37 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

With 9 games left, it's best if Helm sits out and gets fully better for next year. I would not want Helm to rush back play 1 game and do more serious damage. We're going to need him healthy for next year

IPB Image

#38 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

Used to it by now. We need goal scorers. Nyquist looks great so far, but we need a sniper or 2.

#39 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

It's more like: Please meet our Offseason acquisition...

Quoted for truth.  I just wonder when it'll be made "official" LOL

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#40 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

That's the problem with back injuries. I highly doubt he makes it through next year with no problems....this isn't really surprising to us realist. The optimist are disappointed I'm sure.