67 replies to this topic

#21 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,358 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

He's physically unable to play hockey.

Did he say that and where did he say that?

#22 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

Best of luck to him. It's definitely well deserved.

Our drafting will probably take a hit now, just when we're coming up on what should be a big draft for us. Wonder who we'll get to replace him.

#23 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

He's physically unable to play hockey.

Maybe he can drop the puck or something.  It would be nice to see him get a part in it somehow.

#24 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

Did he say that and where did he say that?

I don't think he's outright said it but the speculation is that he hasn't even worn a pair of skates since he hung them up for good & it's largely due to the osteotomy he had done on his knee.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's there in some capacity, but I wouldn't count on him being on the ice during the alumni games.

#25 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

BAH!!!!! THIS SUCKS!!!!

#26 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,831 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:05 AM

That's fine.

I didn't want Jim Nill replacing Holland anyway.  Their philosophy can't be that much different from one another.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#27 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:16 AM

Damn...  Well f that s***... 

#28 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:21 AM

Shows how great this organization is:
Paul MacLean- great coach for Ottawa
Todd mclellan- great coach for SJ
Stevie Y- gm for Tampa
Jim Nill- possibly gm for stars

Am I missing anyone?

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#29 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:27 AM

Best of luck Mr. Nill.

#30 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:23 AM

Yep good luck to Jim

Question is - who does he want to poach from our roster/prospect pool? :P

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#31 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

Would people get over the stupid Winter Classic already.  It's one outdoor gimmicky game (amongst many others now) set up by the League to bring in cash.  Steve Yzerman is the GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning.  If I recall correctly, Yzerman already said when it was first scheduled that he had no plans to attend, citing the previous sentence.  Good for him for trying to establish himself as an executive and not live on his former accomplishments as a player.  I also recall hearing what others heard in that Yzerman has not skated since retirement and has no plans to do so.

Shows how great this organization is:
Paul MacLean- great coach for Ottawa
Todd mclellan- great coach for SJ
Stevie Y- gm for Tampa
Jim Nill- possibly gm for stars

Am I missing anyone?

Dallas also took Jim Lites back in the 1990's.

#32 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

Would people get over the stupid Winter Classic already.  It's one outdoor gimmicky game (amongst many others now) set up by the League to bring in cash.  Steve Yzerman is the GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning.  If I recall correctly, Yzerman already said when it was first scheduled that he had no plans to attend, citing the previous sentence.  Good for him for trying to establish himself as an executive and not live on his former accomplishments as a player.  I also recall hearing what others heard in that Yzerman has not skated since retirement and has no plans to do so.

And poached Curt Fraser from GR last summer to be an assistant coach.

#33 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:33 AM

And poached Curt Fraser from GR last summer to be an assistant coach.

And the Yotes took Ulf Samuelsson as an assistant coach.

#34 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

Did anyone want to remember Ulf's unceremonious time with the Red Wings?  ;) That was a Scotty Bowman signing for those of  you that think Scotty always made all the right moves.

#35 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,561 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:48 AM

Let's not forget the Blackhawks hired Bowman. Don't know if he counts since he was already great before he got here.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#36 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

Heck, we can go on and on with Execs, coaches, etc... that started their career's in Detroit and went on to be very successful elsewhere.  Here are two more that come to mind that may have slipped through yours

Neil Smith & Colin Campbell. 

Edit: When it comes to who will replace Nill, I wouldn't worry too much. Remember when we were wondering who was going to replace Devellano? Bryan Murray. Him? Scotty Bowman. Him? Ken Holland... All of whom have done a hell of a job as evidence to the last 22 years of NHL mastery... Whoever steps into Nill's spot (Mark Howe possibly) will continue that great work! Whether or not Yzerman returns doesn't matter. He has his own team and soon will Nill.  The next step for the Wings is to groom the NEXT GM now and not let him get poached away.  Jim Nill was the obvious next in line to be a GM...and it seems Holland isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. But sooner than later, someone needs to be named GM Heir apparent so to say... So if Howe is to be the next one, he needs to be groomed and given the job within the next 5 years or he too will get poached...

Edited by LeftWinger, 28 April 2013 - 09:26 AM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#37 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,358 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

And you can also get over yourself.

#38 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

Speaking of a Winter Classic and alumni game (just a quick reference to a couple of post here, don't want to derail the thread) wouldn't it be just dandy to have a Detroit v. Colorado Classic?  Imagine the Alumni game in that? 1997 all over again! Someone call Uncle Gary and get this matchup booked!

Ok, back to the subject at hand....I am glad that Jim Nill wasn't named the Dallas GM before we signed Danny D.  It is said that Nill had a pretty big influence on him coming here....I am sure the Detroit factor would have still won, but you know Nill would've been pursuing him hard if he were already Dallas GM...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#39 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

Jim Nill will be the Stars GM because Joe Nieuwendyk got his pants pulled down by Ray Shero.....twice.....

#40 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,561 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

Howe would be an interesting replacement.  It'd be good to have a Howe in line to run the team in the future.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.