• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings4Life19

Jim Nill to be named Dallas Stars GM

Rate this topic

Guest Playmaker

Would people get over the stupid Winter Classic already. It's one outdoor gimmicky game (amongst many others now) set up by the League to bring in cash. Steve Yzerman is the GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning. If I recall correctly, Yzerman already said when it was first scheduled that he had no plans to attend, citing the previous sentence. Good for him for trying to establish himself as an executive and not live on his former accomplishments as a player. I also recall hearing what others heard in that Yzerman has not skated since retirement and has no plans to do so.

Shows how great this organization is:
Paul MacLean- great coach for Ottawa
Todd mclellan- great coach for SJ
Stevie Y- gm for Tampa
Jim Nill- possibly gm for stars

Am I missing anyone?

Dallas also took Jim Lites back in the 1990's.

Would people get over the stupid Winter Classic already. It's one outdoor gimmicky game (amongst many others now) set up by the League to bring in cash. Steve Yzerman is the GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning. If I recall correctly, Yzerman already said when it was first scheduled that he had no plans to attend, citing the previous sentence. Good for him for trying to establish himself as an executive and not live on his former accomplishments as a player. I also recall hearing what others heard in that Yzerman has not skated since retirement and has no plans to do so.

And poached Curt Fraser from GR last summer to be an assistant coach.

Guest Playmaker

Did anyone want to remember Ulf's unceremonious time with the Red Wings? ;) That was a Scotty Bowman signing for those of you that think Scotty always made all the right moves.

Heck, we can go on and on with Execs, coaches, etc... that started their career's in Detroit and went on to be very successful elsewhere. Here are two more that come to mind that may have slipped through yours

Neil Smith & Colin Campbell.

Edit: When it comes to who will replace Nill, I wouldn't worry too much. Remember when we were wondering who was going to replace Devellano? Bryan Murray. Him? Scotty Bowman. Him? Ken Holland... All of whom have done a hell of a job as evidence to the last 22 years of NHL mastery... Whoever steps into Nill's spot (Mark Howe possibly) will continue that great work! Whether or not Yzerman returns doesn't matter. He has his own team and soon will Nill. The next step for the Wings is to groom the NEXT GM now and not let him get poached away. Jim Nill was the obvious next in line to be a GM...and it seems Holland isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. But sooner than later, someone needs to be named GM Heir apparent so to say... So if Howe is to be the next one, he needs to be groomed and given the job within the next 5 years or he too will get poached...

Edited by LeftWinger

And you can also get over yourself.

Speaking of a Winter Classic and alumni game (just a quick reference to a couple of post here, don't want to derail the thread) wouldn't it be just dandy to have a Detroit v. Colorado Classic? Imagine the Alumni game in that? 1997 all over again! Someone call Uncle Gary and get this matchup booked!

Ok, back to the subject at hand....I am glad that Jim Nill wasn't named the Dallas GM before we signed Danny D. It is said that Nill had a pretty big influence on him coming here....I am sure the Detroit factor would have still won, but you know Nill would've been pursuing him hard if he were already Dallas GM...

Guest The Axe

Shows how great this organization is:

Paul MacLean- great coach for Ottawa

Todd mclellan- great coach for SJ

Stevie Y- gm for Tampa

Jim Nill- possibly gm for stars

Am I missing anyone?

Yup. Bossa has been great for Chicago.

Guest Playmaker

Mark Howe doesn't seem to have the personality to be a GM. I don't really care what his last name is. I want a GM who can do the job. Former star players don't often succeed as General Managers. Plus, Mark Howe is almost 58 years old. Not really of "grooming" age. I don't really see Ken Holland going anywhere anytime soon.

Guest The Axe

This. They both hate fighting in hockey which I couldn't be more opposed to.

esteef

Fighting is the thing that is SUPPOSED to keep guys like Matt Cooke from hurting other players.

Guest Playmaker

Why would we want Hakan Andersson here? Lidstrom has not proven himself to be an accomplished scout. Just because he was a good player doesn't necessarily mean he's a great scout. I'm guessing Lidstrom has more of a figurehead type job.

This. They both hate fighting in hockey which I couldn't be more opposed to.

esteef

Yeah, he signed Jordin Tootoo because he hates fighting in hockey.

Guest Crymson

Switch to decaf & take off the tin foil hat.

From Craig Custance:

"Red Wings GM Ken Holland likes to joke that Lidstrom's retirement press conference will be followed shortly by his own"

From Bob McKenzie:

“DET GM Kenny Holland always used to joke, at least I think he was joking, that he would retire five minutes after Nick Lidstrom retired.”

From Kevin Allen @ US Today:

"GM Ken Holland used to joke that he was going to retire when Lidstrom retired"

And strung along? The same man who was at the top of pretty much every team's wish list that had an opening the past couple of years, was given opportunities to interview for them, & turned them all down due to the fact he wanted to stay in Michigan as his wife was battling cancer? The same man that was paid as much as GM's throughout the league & was on record saying that he loved the autonomy that Kenny gave him to do his job? That's being strung along? In the immortal words of Sgt. Hulka, "Lighten up, Francis".

Good for Nill. He's ready to move on to the next step of his career & run his own team and good for the Wings to recognize it's time too, just like they did with Stevie.

Excellent post.