• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

WCSF Game 2 GDT : Red Wings 4 at Blackhawks 1 - (Series Tied at 1)

Rate this topic

Flip wasn't invisible. Don't you remember the backhand pass to no one behind his own net that led to a goal?

How many games did we lose because of that one, again?

How many games did we win because of Filppula?

Filppula hasn't been racking up points, but he's working and making solid offensive plays. You can't say both of those things about either Franzen or Cleary.

Edited by Z and D for the C

Guest Playmaker

Flip wasn't invisible. Don't you remember the backhand pass to no one behind his own net that led to a goal?

Based on your logic, it's the player who should have been there's fault, not Flip's. It isn't like Flip hasn't gotten his fair share of well deserved criticism. He's not a measuring stick for Cleary. They are two different players. Cleary has been dreadful for the past two seasons. He's been given ample time with the top players, on the PP and in crucial situations and has been noticably unproductive. I thank him for his prior service, and in his prime, he was a vital asset to the Wings. But age and injuries have rendered him completely ineffective. I sincerely hope he is not re-signed this offseason.

seeing the word redemption so many times after that 2nd goal makes me want to throw up a little. i am eternally grateful that smith put that goal in, but he had a wide open net to shoot at and it was zetterberg that made the play and filppula driving the net taking the attention that allowed it to happen. smith was in the right place at the right time, that doesn't make up for the many boneheaded plays he has made in the last 2 games. he needs to be out there generating chances before his negatives can be overlooked.

on a related note, many keep whining that cleary gets hated on but filppula doesnt. the reason is that while neither have been particularly successful in the playoffs, cleary actively ruins plays while flip ends up doing his job. neither are making things happen, but cleary actually stops things from happening many times. cleary ends up getting points when others do the hard work, so the numbers show that cleart isnt as terrible as his play indicates.

Filppula hasn't been racking up points, but he's working and making solid offensive plays. You can't say both of those things about either Franzen or Cleary.

No he hasn't. Flip was terrible against Anaheim minus that one play.

Based on your logic, it's the player who should have been there's fault, not Flip's. It isn't like Flip hasn't gotten his fair share of well deserved criticism. He's not a measuring stick for Cleary. They are two different players. Cleary has been dreadful for the past two seasons. He's been given ample time with the top players, on the PP and in crucial situations and has been noticably unproductive. I thank him for his prior service, and in his prime, he was a vital asset to the Wings. But age and injuries have rendered him completely ineffective. I sincerely hope he is not re-signed this offseason.

Nice strawman.

I'm not using Flip as a measuring stick for Cleary. Frankly the expectations for Flip should be higher.

If we're talking about re-signing Cleary for next season, that's a different conversation. I'm not saying Cleary is a great player. Just that Cleary bashing has reached the level of sport here, in the same way it had about Ericsson and many other scapegoats before him.

Guest Playmaker

That isn't making Cleary any less horrible.

You're kidding right? That game went to OT when it should have been over if Filppula doesn't make that pass to Etem, which cut the lead to one. How many games has Cleary cost the Red Wings in the playoffs? His every mistake gets pointed out, but I don't remember him making one yet as costly as Filppula's miscue. The Wings won Game 7 because of Henrik Zetterberg, not Filppula firing a blind backhander on net.

Where is the evidence of this solid offensive play too? I haven't noticed Filppula creating any scoring chances.

seeing the word redemption so many times after that 2nd goal makes me want to throw up a little. i am eternally grateful that smith put that goal in, but he had a wide open net to shoot at and it was zetterberg that made the play and filppula driving the net taking the attention that allowed it to happen. smith was in the right place at the right time, that doesn't make up for the many boneheaded plays he has made in the last 2 games. he needs to be out there generating chances before his negatives can be overlooked.

on a related note, many keep whining that cleary gets hated on but filppula doesnt. the reason is that while neither have been particularly successful in the playoffs, cleary actively ruins plays while flip ends up doing his job. neither are making things happen, but cleary actually stops things from happening many times. cleary ends up getting points when others do the hard work, so the numbers show that cleart isnt as terrible as his play indicates.

but the pinch by smith was a great play, thats where he deserves credit

Who did he play with? Franzen, whose only goals & points in that series come from playing with two superstars with a man advantage and Cleary, whose only goals in that series came from the puck grazing him as the went into the net. I'm not saying Filppula would be a superstar if it wasn't for Cleary or Franzen, he needs to play better, but he hasn't been as bad as his point totals let on.

Guest Playmaker

Why are these two players even getting linked?

Am I not allowed to criticize anyone's play but Cleary's?

Flip deserves criticism for his inconsistent play. He was a total underachiever all season and has shown brief moments of excellence, but his overall play is a disappointment. But it doesn't make Cleary a good player. I'm not typically a major basher, but I think what frustrates most of us, is that Cleary has played with either Datsyuk and or Z all season AND has had PP time. If he's on the 4th line, getting 8 minutes a game, I have no problem with him whatsoever. He's just not a top 6 player and he seems to be an anchor around the necks of Datsyuk and Zetterberg.