• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:17 AM

....WAY too much of a raise....oh well. Just keep Nickle and diming the cap away... Lets give Cleary $3M...

Well...The way I see it...If he continues to improve like he has - then in 2 years (or less) it's quite possible he could find his way as a top 4 Dman with the Red Wings...

$2.4 million for a top 4 Dman is a damn good bargain

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#42 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:22 AM

I would have been completely against this signing at the beginning of this season.  But Kindl definitely matured into a defenseman worthy of competing for a roster spot.

I'm thinking this will pave the way for Coliacovo to be bought out, if he can't be traded.  That leaves next year's D to look like this (when/if Smith is re-signed)...

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - Quincey

Kindl - DeKeyser

Lashoff as the 7th Dman

I might be going out on a limb here.....But does anyone else think that with the above pairings - Kindl/DeKeyser could potentially find themselves as a 2nd pairing Dmen by mid season while Smith/Quincey get 3rd pairing minutes?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#43 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:27 AM

I might be going out on a limb here.....But does anyone else think that with the above pairings - Kindl/DeKeyser could potentially find themselves as a 2nd pairing Dmen by mid season while Smith/Quincey get 3rd pairing minutes?

No, you're not alone there. All Smith-Quincey does is scare me.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#44 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:48 AM

Well, I was always on the "Kindl is an AHL player" bandwagon, but I've got to admit he improved leaps and bounds last season.  Its not inconceivable he could pot 40 points next season.

As for those complaining of "overpayment", he's a defenceman, and defencemen are usually "overpaid" cf Kyle Quincey and Jonathon Ericsson.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#45 NotTooAbby

NotTooAbby

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:52 AM

I've always been a fan of Smith and think he's got crazy potential.  And yes I'm aware that he was a little shaky in the playoffs, but for his first real season in the NHL, it very easily could have been a whole lot worse.  But Quincey on the other hand.....I think we never should have traded the 1st rounder for him, but I can armchair GM all night. 

Once DeKeyser gets used to the team and settles into his role and the NHL in general, he'll be just fine and I'm expecting to see some of his offensive game.  I'm one of the few who actually believe that that Lashoff shouldn't be a 7th D-Man and would like to see more of him next season.

Kron-E

DeKeyser-Kindl

Smith-Lashoff

Quincey

trade Cola

#46 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Pragmatic Optimist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:17 AM

this is going to be interesting. Kindl gets a a nice chunk of money and the forum is debating Brunners value. I am thinkning if Brunner doesnt get 3 million, he will walk

My wish: A healthy roster

#47 Firsov

Firsov

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:36 AM

Good signing. It took Jakub nearly 3 full seasons in every league he's played in to reach his full potential (he has steadily improved in each of those 3 years).

So this is going to be year 3 in the NHL. Looking forward to see what kind of player he will be at the end of this year… Solid 2nd pair defenseman for sure.

#48 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

Fair deal, it will look like a great deal in a few years. 

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#49 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

Like it.

#50 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

this is going to be interesting. Kindl gets a a nice chunk of money and the forum is debating Brunners value. I am thinkning if Brunner doesnt get 3 million, he will walk

This is probably a true statement.  An argument could easily be made that Kindl and Brunner are about the same level of "proven" players.  They are about the same age.  Kindl gets the edge in both of those because he is a little bit younger and came up through the system.  BUT, Brunner is a UFA.... so that outweighs the rest.  I agree.  Brunner walks if he doesn't get $3M, and he will go get it somewhere else. 

#51 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,561 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

I'm not trying to talk you out of anything, and I don't want to argue.  But I really, really, want to know what you like about Smith.  You can message me if you want so that you don't have to argue with anyone else.  But I've got to know why he's on that list. 

Smith is a really likable guy. You can tell he tries hard and is devastated when he screws up. I'm rooting for him because of that.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#52 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

Smith is a really likable guy. You can tell he tries hard and is devastated when he screws up. I'm rooting for him because of that.

Exactly. Hes a gamer. Love Smith.

#53 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

I've always been a fan of Smith and think he's got crazy potential.  And yes I'm aware that he was a little shaky in the playoffs, but for his first real season in the NHL, it very easily could have been a whole lot worse.  But Quincey on the other hand.....I think we never should have traded the 1st rounder for him, but I can armchair GM all night. 

Once DeKeyser gets used to the team and settles into his role and the NHL in general, he'll be just fine and I'm expecting to see some of his offensive game.  I'm one of the few who actually believe that that Lashoff shouldn't be a 7th D-Man and would like to see more of him next season.

Kron-E

DeKeyser-Kindl

Smith-Lashoff

Quincey

trade Cola

You stole my avatar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#54 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

dekeyser-kindl is going to be one hell of a pairing   :thumbup:

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#55 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

dekeyser-kindl is going to be one hell of a pairing   :thumbup:

Great call.

#56 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

I don't like this deal and find it overpayment.

Sorry don't like it.

It's overpayment right now.  And he's now signed until he's 30 so the big question is if he's still improving or if he's peaked.

Offensively he made big improvements this season.  He looked more and more comfortable on the PP and is among if not the best on the team at getting his shot through.  It might not always be a cannon but he can get it through to the net, which this team has had a hard time with since Nick and Rafalski retired. 

Defensively he still plays with the consistency of a #7 guy though.  If he improves that, this'll be a good deal.  If he doesn't, the Wings will be wishing they packaged him in a trade. 

#57 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

WOW nuts would never have done this move. lots of better options out there then him. Ferrence is playoff animal, should have brought him in. 

#58 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

I like him because he shoots.

This.

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Jimmy Howard

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#59 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

quincey only has one year left on his contract, thank god. - 3,775,000

#60 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

Next year Kindl will be second in defense scoring on this team, just behind Kronwall.  And it will be closer than anyone thinks.  He's made the 2nd PP his own, and had a knack for timely production.  He's also improved in in zone coverage tremendously.  He's still got some work to do on his first pass, but otherwise he's really made strides.  I have no idea what's not to like about that for 2.4 million. 

He probably just needs to punch someone and the naysayers will get on board. 

I vote he punches someone!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."