94 replies to this topic

#41 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 7m
Sidney Crosby called Daniel Cleary this afternoon to sell Cleary on joining Penguins. #RedWings

Amazing

#42 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance 1 min
Told Penguins in the mix for Dan Cleary today as well.

Ugh.... I don't want to see him in a Penguins sweater.

#43 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

Is there a video of the comment he made about hating the Pens a couple of years ago?  I think it was in the playoffs.

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#44 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

Is there a video of the comment he made about hating the Pens a couple of years ago?  I think it was in the playoffs.

Stuff like that makes you love him
  • Nev likes this

#45 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

I think he was great for the Wings. Unfortunately, there isn't any room for him in the top-6 or bottom-6. I hope he has success with another team.

Yep, keyword WAS.

#46 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

It was actually before a pre-season game, if you can believe that.  I think it was the one where Bert pounded Orpik for a knee-on-knee hit on Franzen.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#47 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

i am beyond amazed at how much interest there has been in cleary by all these different teams. unbelievable

#48 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

We roll out 5 lines better than any team in the NHL

#49 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:31 PM

i am beyond amazed at how much interest there has been in cleary by all these different teams. unbelievable

There is a God! That's what I thought when I saw that. All those teams can have him and I'll throw in some pucks for your troubles.

#50 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

Probably because he's not as bad as a lot of people here make him out to be. 

He put up 9 goals and 15 points in 48 games and 10 points in 14 playoff games.  There's no questioning his compete level, toughness and heart. That can still help a lot of teams.  It's just a matter of his health and what role you want him to play.

#51 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

Probably because he's not as bad as a lot of people here make him out to be. 

He put up 9 goals and 15 points in 48 games and 10 points in 14 playoff games.  There's no questioning his compete level, toughness and heart. That can still help a lot of teams.  It's just a matter of his health and what role you want him to play.

This.

If the price is right I wouldn't mind him back. But anything over like 2.5 mil would be an over payment imo.

• Nev likes this

#52 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

Holland said he's still trying to sign Cleary but Brunner is moving on.

#53 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

Holland needs to put the phone away and only take calls about trades.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#54 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

I get everyone's frustrations with the guy, and I enjoy making fun of him thoroughly as well, but at the right price, he's an asset to a team making a push. Experience is worth something, and he brings plenty. At the right price, I still think this is a good deal for the Wings or any team. $3 million over 3 years though, what he was supposedly being offered by the Wings or wanting, is TOTALLY BATs*** INSANE though, just to be clear. But I'd love to sign Cleary for a million, million and a half for a year or two, so long as he was cool taking a lesser role throughout the season. Judging by how much time he spends out on his knees on the ice, I'm sure his body could use a limited role with more games off.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#55 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

Wow...Considering Cleary is asking for 3M and Brunner is asking for 2.5M i just don't understand this. The only thing I can think is another team offered Brunner more than he was asking. But if that is the case, then why hasn't he signed with anyone yet?

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#56 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

I get everyone's frustrations with the guy, and I enjoy making fun of him thoroughly as well, but at the right price, he's an asset to a team making a push. Experience is worth something, and he brings plenty. At the right price, I still think this is a good deal for the Wings or any team. $3 million over 3 years though, what he was supposedly being offered by the Wings or wanting, is TOTALLY BATs*** INSANE though, just to be clear. But I'd love to sign Cleary for a million, million and a half for a year or two, so long as he was cool taking a lesser role throughout the season. Judging by how much time he spends out on his knees on the ice, I'm sure his body could use a limited role with more games off.

With what cap space? And what space on the roster? As it is they need to sign 3 RFAs and have 16 forwards.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#57 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

Wow...Considering Cleary is asking for 3M and Brunner is asking for 2.5M i just don't understand this. The only thing I can think is another team offered Brunner more than he was asking. But if that is the case, then why hasn't he signed with anyone yet?

Those numbers are entirely speculative.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#58 redhasek2013

redhasek2013

Prospect

• 35 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

Will if Cleary is coming back will then he'll be wearing a new number. Also I hope they don't wast there remaining money on him. Would rather them get Brunner. 

Edited by redhasek2013, 05 July 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#59 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

Is this real life?  I mean. have I just stepped into Bizarro world?  What. the @*#$!?  

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#60 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

Is this real life?  I mean. have I just stepped into Bizarro world?  What. the @*#$!?  

Exactly... Just sign brunner and call it a day. Then work on trimming the fat for draft picks/ waivers/ etc