• Please log in to reply
310 replies to this topic

#281 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:20 AM

Wait,  You're asking LGW if anyone's happy?  

WE'RE NEVER HAPPY ON HERE!

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#282 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

Is it me or does it seem that everyone in our division/conference next season has made the most noise this off season?

Something to think about

Bostons roster has crumbled, and most other teams have just filled holes that opened this off season I.e. Tampa picking up flip. I believe us to be the best team in our division, but we will see. I like our off season moves. Still wish we 're signed Brunner but we will be ok

#283 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

I'm actually pretty happy with what happened on 7/5.  You'd have to be stuck in 2002 to not see how that was a successful day for the Wings.  Even if Brunner ends up being a casualty, they had to get down to the lower cap figure AND replace two fairly key guys (Flip and Brunner, Cleary to a lesser degree) with decent options through free agency.  Filppula obviously had motivations beyond just money and wearing the Winged Wheel, so I thank him for his service and wish him well.  We don't know know what will end up happening with Brunner, but I doubt we could have signed him long-term, or would even have wanted to.  Even a 40-year old Alfredsson is probably more of an impact player next year than Brunner will be.

No, I don't think Steven Weiss is awesome, but do I think he can be as effective, or possibly more effective, as a second line center than Filppula?  Yes.  And that cap hit given the competition and the insanity happening all over free agency is very manageable.

I'm actually okay rolling with the young defense options that emerged this year, as opposed to paying $5 million a year for some broken down 34-year-old.  Nyquist is an intriguing two-way player, Andersson has size plus versatility, and Tatar might be more talented than than any of them.

I'm excited for next year.

#284 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:49 PM

Is everyone STILL happy with this current roster of junk?

#285 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:03 PM

Is everyone STILL happy with this current roster of junk?

I wasn't happy back then and for sure not happy right now. It still boggles my mind how you can play hardball with a guy like Brunner - who at least provided offense - something this team lacked for a long time now and sign a player, who comes back from a serious injury and someone who is more than just over the hill.

All that while the players responsible for the playoff run are sitting on the bench or in the AHL watching a slow and boring to watch one line team.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#286 korrowan

korrowan

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:16 PM

This team is beyond pathetic.  The only line that is even worth turning the television on to watch is the 1st one.  The second line...pathetic, 3rd line ...really pathetic....4th line...what a waste of space all 3 of them are.  This roster is shackled with s*** that s*** being Franzen, Cleary who still falls down every 2 seconds, samuelson and Alfie has been awful.  

#287 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:01 AM

tZOS8.gif

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#288 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:18 AM

This team is beyond pathetic.  The only line that is even worth turning the television on to watch is the 1st one.  The second line...pathetic, 3rd line ...really pathetic....4th line...what a waste of space all 3 of them are.  This roster is shackled with s*** that s*** being Franzen, Cleary who still falls down every 2 seconds, samuelson and Alfie has been awful.

You're a ray of sunshine, aren't you?
I'm not happy that we lost but I'm pretty sure the sky isn't falling.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#289 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:31 AM

You're a ray of sunshine, aren't you?
I'm not happy that we lost but I'm pretty sure the sky isn't falling.

I think everyone expected an upgrade from the team that only squeaked into the playoffs last season and overachieved big time to force a game 7 with Chicago. Other than DD (which we already had), the verdict is still out on that.

#290 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:10 AM

I think everyone expected an upgrade from the team that only squeaked into the playoffs last season and overachieved big time to force a game 7 with Chicago. Other than DD (which we already had), the verdict is still out on that.

Chill out. We didn't over archive. We played well when we had to. And this season is still early. We' are ONLY 4 GAMES IN. Sure we are paying like complete garbage now but it doesn't mean that Letsgowings has to freak out like they do every year. The only move I'm not sure about is Filpulla for weiss. Although filp was critiziest Offen around here, I think we will miss his speed and puck skill. He was like a mini datsyuk in a small way. Even tho Daniel alfredsson has looked crap tastic he is too good and has too much pride to play like that the whole year. He is in a new envorinment and it has not clicked yet. He is a known slow starter and should catch his stride. He won't be amazing but be he will end up being a good pick up. As for Weiss we really don't know what we have in him It is simply too early in the season to tell. Something that baffles all of our minds is that we can't ice a third line of Nyquist Andersson Tatar. The youth played great last year. Seems so stupid not to do that. But fact is we do and it's frustrating. All of you need to stop stop freaking out WE ARE 4 GAMES IN. This happens every year and We have too much pride with our managment, coaching staff and players to give up. Zetterberg and Datsyuk will bring it when they have to. They have shown it. Everbody chill out We will be fine

Edited by mjtm77, 11 October 2013 - 01:11 AM.

Posted Image

#291 JasonNewEra

JasonNewEra

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:10 AM

Still ain't happy. Where is Tatar and Nyquist!? Why is Smith and Cleary allowed on the ice? 

12412215175_9591987538_o.jpg

#292 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:23 AM

Still ain't happy. Where is Tatar and Nyquist!? Why is Smith and Cleary allowed on the ice?

Smith still hasn't even played a full season so benching himmakes no sense especially when he has shown he has the skill...but I agree with the rest.

#293 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

Still ain't happy. Where is Tatar and Nyquist!? Why is Samuelsson, Franzen, and Cleary allowed on the ice? 

Fixed that for you.

#294 wingslionstigers

wingslionstigers

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

I don't even know what to add to this post. I think we have the capabilities to ice a good team but we just aren't playing the right guys. I just have no idea how to wrap my head around why Nyquist and Tatar aren't playing. It's just absolutely baffling. The little bit of ice time Tatar has seen this year was wasted on a 4th line role. How can you even tell a kid ok here is your chance, you are going to play a 4th line role with checkers for the first time in your hockey career. It is just amazing.. When if at all do we see these kids take on a real role for this team? How can you put a talent like Tatar in the press box?? He needs ice time. I'm at a loss for this one, I tried to be patient but this is a joke.

Look at Montreal's third line with the young guns.. Worked for them, worked for us last year.. What's the issue here?

#295 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

It's not about coming out of the gate on fire. Sure everyone likes to have a good start.

But instead of starting hot like years past and then fading, like San Jose, I'd rather take some time and get hot later in the year going into the playoffs. If we have a season similar to last year and then get hot going into the playoffs, I'm good with that.

Edited by T.Low, 11 October 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#296 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

Mike Babcock  is a very good coach but he does have some faults. He hands out way too many free passes (roster spots) to players that are not playing well. Cleary should not have been brought back even for free because we have younger and more talanted guys ready to come up. Smith is young and will make a ton of mistakes but he still needs to be reminded that he will sit if he plays like crap from time to time. Babs needs to get tougher on this team and make his players earn their spots. 

#297 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

Wait,  You're asking LGW if anyone's happy?  

WE'RE NEVER HAPPY ON HERE!

I would be perfectly happy if Cleary wasn't signed and Tatar and Nyquist were flanking Andersson to make a 3rd line with some skill and identity.  Instead, our bottom 6 is a revolving door of scrubs and Franzen is basically junk in the top 6.  Anyone who wants to stick up for him at this point.....we've played 4 games, 1 against an elite team, the rest scrubs we should mop the floor with.  Franzen has 0 goals, which is not what we need from our "main sniper" who is supposed to pace himself for 30 goals.  Maybe he should go to a scoring area and put his stick on the ice, instead of cancelling our PP's by shoving his stick in the opposing Dman's gloves.  Like someone said in the GDT, Mule ain't Homer, get over it.  He can't do what Homer did, try someone else. 

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#298 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

Chill out. We didn't over archive. We played well when we had to. And this season is still early. We' are ONLY 4 GAMES IN. Sure we are paying like complete garbage now but it doesn't mean that Letsgowings has to freak out like they do every year. The only move I'm not sure about is Filpulla for weiss. Although filp was critiziest Offen around here, I think we will miss his speed and puck skill. He was like a mini datsyuk in a small way. Even tho Daniel alfredsson has looked crap tastic he is too good and has too much pride to play like that the whole year. He is in a new envorinment and it has not clicked yet. He is a known slow starter and should catch his stride. He won't be amazing but be he will end up being a good pick up. As for Weiss we really don't know what we have in him It is simply too early in the season to tell. Something that baffles all of our minds is that we can't ice a third line of Nyquist Andersson Tatar. The youth played great last year. Seems so stupid not to do that. But fact is we do and it's frustrating. All of you need to stop stop freaking out WE ARE 4 GAMES IN. This happens every year and We have too much pride with our managment, coaching staff and players to give up. Zetterberg and Datsyuk will bring it when they have to. They have shown it. Everbody chill out We will be fine

If it even looked like 90% of the roster was trying and we were losing, it wouldn't be an issue.  But with Tatar sitting for scrubs and Nyquist in GR, getting pissed when the Wings are complete garbage is acceptable.  Holland f***ed us again by signing Cleary.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#299 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

If it even looked like 90% of the roster was trying and we were losing, it wouldn't be an issue.  But with Tatar sitting for scrubs and Nyquist in GR, getting pissed when the Wings are complete garbage is acceptable.  Holland f***ed us again by signing Cleary.

Hope your happy. They said they can't wait to extened Cleary to a long contract after this season
Posted Image

#300 Number5weThankYou

Number5weThankYou

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

I am rather happy with the Wings right now, we have a few new guys that have tough spots to fill. The team chemistry already seems to be building at a nice rate. They need to be a little more consistent on the power play as a team, I'm not only speaking for this years PP. Another thing that is slowing the start of the season down is not having my boy Helm healthy. We need his speed right now, we're already beating most teams to the loose pucks (from what I've seen). He is a valuable asset in so many situations. Abdelkader seems to be trying his best at the moment to fill this role until Helm can return. Its going to be an interesting season. We also need Howard to stand on his head !

Go Wings !

Edited by Number5weThankYou, 11 October 2013 - 12:15 PM.