• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
AtomicPunk

Players We've Traded Away

Rate this topic

Someone mentioned the Kozlov / Hasek trade today, and I got to wondering about Wings players who were traded who went on to have continued or more success. I can't think of many outside of Adam Graves. People are very cautious about trading our young talent for fear they will blow up somewhere else, but who's done it?

Adam Oates!

Yeah, I should have remembered that one...anyone in the last 30 years?

Knuble, Ward, Tim Taylor, Dallas Drake, Primeau

Knuble and Ward are really the only of this group I would say who got BETTER, but they really had nowhere to go but up...Primeau was on the decline anyway.

Yeah, I should have remembered that one...anyone in the last 30 years?

Knuble and Ward are really the only of this group I would say who got BETTER, but they really had nowhere to go but up...Primeau was on the decline anyway.

Primeau was like 25 years old when he got traded. He had 26 - 34 goals in 4 out of the next 5 seasons and he was hurt in the other season out of that. Keith Primeau wasn't a hall of famer or anything, but he had successful seasons after Detoit got rid of him.

Dallas Drake, although we did get him back as a UFA.

That's the only one that I can think of. The rest of the guys whose names come up when I think of "traded away" were ones who had their best years in Detroit (Sawchuck, Lindsay etc.)

EDIT: Wow. Walk away from the computer for 5 seconds and 6 replies appear ahead of mine!

Edited by 55fan

I don't know anything about this. Please elaborate.

The Wings wanted to take Bure in the 5th round of the '89 draft & were told he wasn't eligible due to the agreements with the IIHF. Turned out he was eligible when the Canucks took him in the next round though.

I don't know anything about this. Please elaborate.

I talked about this briefly in another thread ironically....

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/topic/75015-jim-nill-takes-red-wings-director-of-amateur-scouting-to-dallas/page-2#entry2428353

Plus we had this thread awhile ago...

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/topic/70322-fedorov-and-bure/#entry2204085

Fleischmann and Matthias have both turned into servicable NHL players since we traded them away.

Avery also turned into a reasonable player before his ego destroyed his career.

already mentioned, but none worse than the Oates/McLean for Federko/McKegney...

in hindsight, it kind of re-burrs my behind that we didn't re-acquire Fedorov in 2007 or 2008 for Filppula... Fedorov could have retired where he belonged and we could have done away with 5+ years of "reaching potential" only to lose him for nothing as a UFA...

Three that I came up with are Paul Henderson(just a few years before my watching Wings hockey), Garry Unger (averaged 30+ goals for the Blues in an 8 season span), and John Ogrodnick (averaged 25 goals a year for the Rangers over 5 seasons. We traded him to Quebec in Jan.'87, and they traded him to N.Y. before the start of the '87/'88 season.

Guest Crymson

in hindsight, it kind of re-burrs my behind that we didn't re-acquire Fedorov in 2007 or 2008 for Filppula... Fedorov could have retired where he belonged and we could have done away with 5+ years of "reaching potential" only to lose him for nothing as a UFA...

The Blue Jackets verifiably had no interest in trading him to the Red Wings.

Larry Murphy. Not to go off topic, but I did find this and thought some might find it humourous/ironic. After the 77/78 season, Ted Lindsay(then the GM) signed free agent goalie Rogie Vachon. The Kings asked for compensation and the league awarded them Dale McCourt. McCourt refused to go, and took the league to court. When it was settled, the Wings traded Andre St. Laurent, and their 1st picks in the 1980(4th overall) and '81( 2nd overall) drafts for McCourt. The Kings picked Larry Murphy with their 1st selection in 1980, courtesy of the Wings.

Guest The Axe

Larry Murphy. Not to go off topic, but I did find this and thought some might find it humourous/ironic. After the 77/78 season, Ted Lindsay(then the GM) signed free agent goalie Rogie Vachon. The Kings asked for compensation and the league awarded them Dale McCourt. McCourt refused to go, and took the league to court. When it was settled, the Wings traded Andre St. Laurent, and their 1st picks in the 1980(4th overall) and '81( 2nd overall) drafts for McCourt. The Kings picked Larry Murphy with their 1st selection in 1980, courtesy of the Wings.

Yah! Seems like the Wings have a pretty decent history of gaffs. Good thing ee also have a good drafting history.

How about this doozy in 1981: Mike Foligno, Dale McCourt, & Brent Peterson to Buffalo, for Danny Gare, Jim Schoenfeld, & Derek Smith?

Holy crap, I honestly had no idea Mike Foligno was drafted by the Wings. I thought he was always a Saber. wow, that sucks.

Or how about Mike Sillinger, and his 226 post Red Wing goals? The trade was Sillinger & Jason York for Stu Grimson, Mark Ferner, and Anaheim's 6th round draft pick in 1996.

10 other teams also dumped Sillinger in one way or another. He played for 12 different teams in his NHL career.

Jason York may have been the better player in that one.

Edited by stillwater

Not to get into the Feds debate again, but I will say this.

2 factors into him not coming back.

1. C-bus probably wasn't trading him to a team in their division.

2 Here is where it gets tricky.

Think of the bad taste the whole Feds ordeal left in some fans, Feds is a polarizing figure, love him or hate him really no in between when it comes to Wings' fans.

Now I have to assume it left the same kind of bad taste in the Management's mouth.

And a "potential" (lol) 3rd reason was at that time Flip's potential was supposed to be really high and weighing a few years of Feds against Flips potential was a pretty heavy decision.

Sure hindsight being 20/20 you look back on it and think man they should have traded Flip for Feds, but at the time Flip still wasn't a known commodity and the thought was he was going to be a lot better.

10 other teams also dumped Sillinger in one way or another. He played for 12 different teams in his NHL career.

Jason York may have been the better player in that one.

Wow - you are right! Sillinger played for 12 teams in his career, which is pretty amazing!

or how about Mike Knuble , with 270 post Wings goals, in 2000 to the Rangers for a draft pick that became Tomas Kopecky?

Wow - you are right! Sillinger played for 12 teams in his career, which is pretty amazing!

or how about Mike Knuble , with 270 post Wings goals, in 2000 to the Rangers for a draft pick that became Tomas Kopecky?

Yes but with no Kopecky there would be no Hossa, and then the Wings don't win that cu.....

OH nevermind!