• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Opie

Maple Leafs plan cup parade?

Rate this topic

Someone should tell this guy to tune it down. Toronto is a tough place if you do not deliver on bold predictions.

Read somewhere that Anschutz himself didn't allow him the same kind of influence in LA. After reading about Lieweke's plans this was a very smart thing. Personally I think he is just blowing hot air whit this stuff.

The Power of Positive Thinking.

Welcome to the Grand Illusion.

Both great titles. Take your pick.

On one hand, it makes sense to dream big and have faith that you will see your dream to fruition. On the other hand, it is much easier to plot a course for the parade than to plot a course for winning the cup.

It seems like this guys "power of positive thinking" has paid off for him pretty well.

But you are talking about the franchise with the 2nd most cups, O6, long standing tradition and a fan base like that of the Cubs and Red Sox (before the championships).

Just had to correct you - Detroit has the 2nd most, Toronto 3rd.

Try again. The franchise has 13 Cups to Detroit's 11. They have some under the names Arenas and St. Pats, same team different names.

I can see why they would want to take down the old pictures and stuff - to try and take away the pressure caused by the weight of expectation

BUT

Brian Clough famously tried something similar at Leeds United in the 70s and it was a spectacular failure.

I can see why they would want to take down the old pictures and stuff - to try and take away the pressure caused by the weight of expectation

BUT

Brian Clough famously tried something similar at Leeds United in the 70s and it was a spectacular failure.

Maple Leafs under MLSE are definition of spectacular failure. and they prove it over and over again.

I'm waiting for their plan to celebrate introduction of Phaneuf to HHOF announced later this season. because... you know...

by Toronto standards this guy is already a lock...

Here's a good article by Dave Feschuk in the Toronto Star, with my favourite:

“Getting rid of the pictures in the hallway leading to the locker room is not disrespectful to ’62, ’63, ’64,” Leiweke told the Star’s Cathal Kelly this week. “But for our players, I don’t want any more excuses for them or us. This has to be about a new tradition.”

Solution? Change the name from "Maple Leafs". Problem solved.

Are you sure this isn't taken out of context as a joke? I live in Toronto and every year its the same joke. Sign a big player, win a couple games in a row, blow a team out, its always "lets start planning the parade!!". Leaf fans are aware of it and play into it all the time. I'm not sure this is any more than Leiweke playing into that joke.

Guest The Axe

Thw Leafs are the 26th most valueable sports franchise. Before everyone goes knocking their model, take a look at the real dollar figures.

HAHAHAHAH - touche

What an idiot.

Someone get some serious tablets of reality for this guy, he is going to need it what an idiot. Can't believe the Leafs allowed him to remove a part of their tradition, guy will be gone soon if he doesn't deliver on his bold promises.

It's getting even better; from Sportsnet:

New Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment president and CEO Tim Leiweke says Toronto Maple Leafs home games could have a different feel in the future.

In recent years, pre-game ceremonies celebrating the achievements of past Maple Leafs teams have been commonplace at the Air Canada Centre, but that doesn’t coincide with the culture Leiweke says he is trying to create in Toronto.

“It’s trying to get into the mind of a guy like Joffrey Lupul and think about what it is that ultimately motivates him and how we create an environment for him and the rest of that team that gives them the best chance at winning,” Leiweke told Joey Vendetta on Sportsnet 590 The Fan Tuesday.

“I don’t think what motivates Joffrey Lupul is another celebration on the ice, while he sits on the bench, celebrating 50 years ago and something that happened in 1962 or 1963.”

It's getting even better; from Sportsnet:

New Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment president and CEO Tim Leiweke says Toronto Maple Leafs home games could have a different feel in the future.

In recent years, pre-game ceremonies celebrating the achievements of past Maple Leafs teams have been commonplace at the Air Canada Centre, but that doesn’t coincide with the culture Leiweke says he is trying to create in Toronto.

“It’s trying to get into the mind of a guy like Joffrey Lupul and think about what it is that ultimately motivates him and how we create an environment for him and the rest of that team that gives them the best chance at winning,” Leiweke told Joey Vendetta on Sportsnet 590 The Fan Tuesday.

“I don’t think what motivates Joffrey Lupul is another celebration on the ice, while he sits on the bench, celebrating 50 years ago and something that happened in 1962 or 1963.”

Yes, lieweke you don't think the Leafs are an original 6 franchise tons of history, tradition and a very rapid fanbase. I believe mr I hate tradition thinks he is the ceo of another sunbelt team here...MLSE seems to hire loud guys just to hire the almost equaly loud one again

From Toronto Star:

Why did Leiweke make an about face on these faces of the past?

“I talked to Johnny (Bower). He said he was going to kick my butt,” Leiweke said of the 88-year-old hall of fame goaltender. “Then I looked at him and realized he probably can. But we had a good conversation. . . . (The photos) are up for now.”

leiweke_bower640.jpg

Messing with traditions will usually bite you. I'm glad to see he came to his senses...temporaily.

Edited by cusimano_brothers