Photo
- - - - -

Devils sign Jagr (1 yr deal, financial terms not yet disclosed)

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

@TGfireandice: $2 million in base salary on Jagr's 1-year contract with Devils. Additional potential $2 million in games played bonuses.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#22 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

@TGfireandice: $2 million in base salary on Jagr's 1-year contract with Devils. Additional potential $2 million in games played bonuses.

Fair deal, I think.

#23 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

Honestly, I think I'd rather have Jagr than Alfie, given their respective deals.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#24 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

Honestly, I think I'd rather have Jagr than Alfie, given their respective deals.

Unless Alfie looks considerably older than he did even last season, I don't consider them too comparable.  I understand your point, which is both of them are declined stars and Alfie is paid a fair bit more.  But Jagr did basically nothing in the Playoffs.  Part of that was a poor fit with Boston, which is a north/south team, but most of it is age.

The Wings don't have room for any more forwards and there wasn't really a veteran defender that we reasonably could have afforded that I would have wanted, with or without Alfie's contract.  I know a lot of people weren't high on the Alfredsson deal, but there's every reason to think he'll "fit" on this team, and it's only one year.

#25 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

Why, because of his name?

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#26 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:24 AM

Unless Alfie looks considerably older than he did even last season, I don't consider them too comparable.  I understand your point, which is both of them are declined stars and Alfie is paid a fair bit more.  But Jagr did basically nothing in the Playoffs.  Part of that was a poor fit with Boston, which is a north/south team, but most of it is age.

The Wings don't have room for any more forwards and there wasn't really a veteran defender that we reasonably could have afforded that I would have wanted, with or without Alfie's contract.  I know a lot of people weren't high on the Alfredsson deal, but there's every reason to think he'll "fit" on this team, and it's only one year.

I don't have too much of a problem with the Alfie deal, I just prefer Jagr, and it is a better deal.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#27 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:53 AM

I'll be pretty surprised and impressed if the Islanders make the playoffs this season.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#28 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

I'll be pretty surprised and impressed if the Islanders make the playoffs this season.

Really? They did last year.

#29 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

Grind Line 2.0

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

This, and the fact that Alfie is hungry for a cup. Jagr may love the sport, but he learns more towards his love of money IMO.

Edited by WingsAlways, 24 July 2013 - 08:08 PM.

"Wow Chicago, you've won four Stanley Cups? Me too! - Kris Draper"

#30 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:39 PM

This, and the fact that Alfie is hungry for a cup. Jagr may love the sport, but he learns more towards his love of money IMO.

Ha ha ha. Does anyone know Jagr?

#31 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:16 PM

Ha ha ha. Does anyone know Jagr?

I get where your coming from, but really alfie left the only team he's ever known to come play for Detroit because he felt he had a better chance at a cup, whereas jagr has been going to the highest bidder recently

#32 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:22 PM

Considering how Jags looked in the Playoffs I'd rather have Alfie even at his higher deal. Jagr is just chasing the money which is obviously his right, but rhe Devils are going to be a bottom team this season, so no Playoffs for him.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#33 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:23 PM

I get where your coming from, but really alfie left the only team he's ever known to come play for Detroit because he felt he had a better chance at a cup, whereas jagr has been going to the highest bidder recently

Thought I read an article on TSN recently which Jagr said it was about "playing minutes" or something along those lines when he chose New Jersey. Regardless I agree with you about him seeming to go the highest bidder now days.

As much as I still don't like the Alfie signing I prefer him over Jagr. 

#34 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:41 PM

I was hoping we'd get Jagr too.

#35 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

Glad you "hoping" wasn't right. 

So glad "for the moment" that Jagr will never wear a Wings jersey. 

#36 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:42 AM

Glad you "hoping" wasn't right. 

So glad "for the moment" that Jagr will never wear a Wings jersey. 

Me too, I have never been a big fan of him great player but questionable attitude and not a very loyal guy.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#37 Cloune

Cloune

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:27 AM

hehe Patrik Elias :

Is there any other NHL club in which you want to play?

Elias: easy, Detroit :D

#38 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

Really? They did last year.

Applying the new divisions & playoff format, they would have missed the playoffs last season.  Your playoff teams from the east would have been:

Pens (72 pts)

Habs (63)

Bruins (62)

Caps (57)

Leafs (57)

Rangers (56)

Wings (56)

Sens (56)

The Isles & Jackets would have been on the outside looking in with 55 pts.

#39 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

Applying the new divisions & playoff format, they would have missed the playoffs last season.  Your playoff teams from the east would have been:

Pens (72 pts)
Habs (63)
Bruins (62)
Caps (57)
Leafs (57)
Rangers (56)
Wings (56)
Sens (56)

The Isles & Jackets would have been on the outside looking in with 55 pts.

To play devils advocate, that was last year. This year half of those teams might not even make it

#40 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

hehe Patrik Elias :

Is there any other NHL club in which you want to play?

Elias: easy, Detroit :D

He isn't old enough. Wait two years then he can.